Can you out live point creep?

How old were you when you bought (or some bought you), your first point.

• 0-5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-10

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 10-15

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • 15-20

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • 20-25

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • 25-30

Votes: 104 38.7%
  • 35-40

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • 40-45

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • 45-50

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • 55-60

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
Wait for 20 years to beat the point creep for primo tags if you want, but you can still hunt bull elk, cow elk, deer, bears, and antelope every single year in several states.
I love the graphs and math on the population dynamics side of this coin, but the snipped quote above is Also important in the context of Point Creep, at least in the deer/elk/antelope bracket.

With the ability to hunt AND accrue points in the same state, that’s a huge contributor to creep. (I am part of that group so not proselytizing, just observing)

Taking CO as an example, lets say the rule was that if you acquire ANY ‘A’ tag after your first choice draw (so any 2nd/3rd/4th choice draw, secondary draw, reissue, or OTC ‘A’ tag), you simply don’t ACCRUE a point that year. I think that helps crowding and creep in one swoop. If you want to chase a high end unit, feel free, but you can’t hunt bulls or bucks that year If you want another point.

Even if you can outlive point creep, what are you going to do in the intervening 10 to 30 yrs?

Take up golf?
U can still hunt.
I earned a point for Elk and Antelope in CO (res) this year as I didnt draw my 1st choice. But i still managed to draw 2 Elk tags (Bull n Cow) and an Antelope tag + one more from leftover list. Opportunities are there to hunt every season and still earn points.
Being new hunter (2nd season) I realize ill never catch up to PointCreep. So my strategy is to burn points every 2-5 years on some slightly less pressured units? Or just be able to draw a Buck Antelope tag in general. But otherwise im still very happy to have all the opportunities we currently have

I love the graphs and math on the population dynamics side of this coin, but the snipped quote above is Also important in the context of Point Creep, at least in the deer/elk/antelope bracket.

With the ability to hunt AND accrue points in the same state, that’s a huge contributor to creep. (I am part of that group so not proselytizing, just observing)

Taking CO as an example, lets say the rule was that if you acquire ANY ‘A’ tag after your first choice draw (so any 2nd/3rd/4th choice draw, secondary draw, reissue, or OTC ‘A’ tag), you simply don’t ACCRUE a point that year. I think that helps crowding and creep in one swoop. If you want to chase a high end unit, feel free, but you can’t hunt bulls or bucks that year If you want another point.
I kind of like that idea

The only thing that would stem/ slow current point creep is a multi state combined Cap on individual applications, Coupled with putting all the auction tags, raffle tags and political crony tags back into the system.

I'm sitting on 15 elk points in CO @ 40yo. I'm not expecting I'll ever draw one of the glory tags there...
I am sitting on 20 points in Colorado at 44 and think the same way. I am 1 point behind for a muzzleloader in 76. I dont know how many years I will chase that and then just cash in and bowhunt 76 and contribute to the creep.

I'm one of those sitting on one-off of max for CO sheep, I bought my first point at 15, now 37... had to skip one year due to being too broke at the time, not that it matters with the CO system, I get to watch people with less point draw all the tags in the unit I apply for every year while my odds are still in the 1-2% range... one of these years I will break down and apply for an easier unit to draw just to hunt sheep in CO in my life but even that option may go away if more people get in the lottery and start chasing "easy to draw" units...

and here i am with 2 points for Big Horn sheep in CO in my mid/late 30's, hoping i might just get lucky one year when i start applying. **theoretically speaking it could happen :) :) :)

the way i see it, that $50 yearly now, is just my donation to CPW for wildlife management.

and here i am with 2 points for Big Horn sheep in CO in my mid/late 30's, hoping i might just get lucky one year when i start applying. **theoretically speaking it could happen :) :) :)

the way i see it, that $50 yearly now, is just my donation to CPW for wildlife management.

This is my hope. Can’t win if you don’t play!

My son and I are at 23 points for Custer State Park any elk here in SD. I'm 55 and he will be 35 next week.

I am sitting on 20 points in Colorado at 44 and think the same way. I am 1 point behind for a muzzleloader in 76. I dont know how many years I will chase that and then just cash in and bowhunt 76 and contribute to the creep.

Buddy of mine was one of the three guys with 22 points that gave up and hunted there with his bow. He is there right now shoveling snow....lol

I've been saying the last two paragraphs for several years now. It would be easy to fix Colorado's point creep

He who dies with the most points, still dies. When you get to be my age (67) all of a sudden getting that "trophy tag" isn't so important anymore. Use those points while you can and opt for a lesser area. You don't want to wait until your sitting in a nursing home drooling in your lap wishing differently.

My ALS number is #3. I think I’m giving up on my Montana points. Nonresident odds are downright depressing. I’ll hang my MSG hopes on Wyoming.
Can you explain the significance of what your MT ALS # is. I’ve heard people mention this but I can’t quite figure out how it plays into who draws tags. My daughters both have #1 I think mine is higher.

Can you explain the significance of what your MT ALS # is. I’ve heard people mention this but I can’t quite figure out how it plays into who draws tags. My daughters both have #1 I think mine is higher.
It just means I was the third person with my birthday to get an ALS #, that’s all.

He who dies with the most points, still dies. When you get to be my age (67) all of a sudden getting that "trophy tag" isn't so important anymore. Use those points while you can and opt for a lesser area. You don't want to wait until your sitting in a nursing home drooling in your lap wishing differently.

Your point is well taken, but then the state has sold a mediocre tag at a premium price. I figure I have one shot at a mediocre tag in the next couple of years.

Hunt other species in other states?!?

If I were American with my current salary I'd be ALL OVER Canadian hunts...
Pretty sure an american hunting in canada is required to have a guide. Thats a deal breaker for myself and im sure many others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back