Can anyone school me on .300 BLK for white-tailed deer?

NR_Hunter

Since I gun hunt almost exclusively in the shotgun/pistol zone here in MN, I figured I'd try using an AR Pistol in .300 BLK this past fall. I chose to use Barnes VOR-TX factory loads with 110 grain TAC-TX copper bullets. Very accurate when I zero'd the gun.

So on the second weekend of our gun season, I shot a buck and what happened I don't think I could describe as anything other than "bullet failure". To keep a long story longer, I had a large buck travel almost directly under my stand, sub 20 yards. I fired two times at the deer, the first bullet it right behind the shoulder blade in the vitals, the second bullet as it was running away was a non-vital hit that barely clipped the near shoulder bone, but did seem to shatter the upper shoulder/leg bone entirely. The deer jump and took off crashing through the brush, as fatally hit deer often do. I sat in my stand for another 10 min and could see clearly in the snow where my bullets had passed through into the ground. When I got down, I didn't find any blood whatsoever, just fur right where both bullet holes were in the ground. Finding blood, if there was any, would have been very easy since there was snow on the ground.

At this point, I was feeling incredibly uneasy about my shot. I thought I maybe I grazed the deer at nearly arms length or put a bad shot on it, despite how it reacted to the gun shots. I looked at the time, and decided I would sit for exactly one hour before I would start tracking the deer.

So I waited the hour, and about 30 yards into tracking the deer, I find a little bit of bright red blood. A little bit of blood soon turned into a consistent blood trail, although not nearly as much blood as I usually see on a deer I've shot at point blank range. About about 50 yards more, I see the deer on its side facing away. I move up to it very quietly and slowly, and circle around in front of the deer, and the deer is STILL breathing, taking very short shallow breaths.

At this point I feel like total garbage knowing this deer was laying there sucking wind for a full hour, so I quickly shot it again behind the shoulder blade. Much to my surprise, this seemed to reinvigorate the deer and it attempted to get back on its feet. It got its back legs underneath itself, to the point it was sitting like a dog sits facing right at me. I shoot him again square in the chest from a mere feet away and that seemed to do the trick. Yikes.

All the bullets were a full pass through except the frontal shot, and find the bullet wounds was very hard. Finding them was like searching a dog for ticks.

Anyways, should I try lead bullets out of the AR pistol? Go back to the trusty 12 gauge slug? Really not impressed with the copper bullet's performance. I don't understand how a deer shots in the vitals could be alive a full hour after I shot it. Who knows how far it could have gone if my second shot didn't clip a shoulder bone. Has anyone had similar issues with .300 BLK or have a bullet recommendation that has worked well in the past?

As you were skinning it, were you able to find the entrance and exit holes? What did they look like? Did you do gutless, or did you gut it? What did the organs look like? Did you hit one lung or two? All these things would shed a little more light on the performance without just speculating.

Sorry to hear about the prolonged death of the deer--no one ever wants that.

As you were skinning it, were you able to find the entrance and exit holes? What did they look like? Did you do gutless, or did you gut it? What did the organs look like? Did you hit one lung or two? All these things would shed a little more light on the performance without just speculating.

This. No use in speculating.

Since I gun hunt almost exclusively in the shotgun/pistol zone here in MN, I figured I'd try using an AR Pistol in .300 BLK this past fall. I chose to use Barnes VOR-TX factory loads with 110 grain TAC-TX copper bullets. Very accurate when I zero'd the gun.

So on the second weekend of our gun season, I shot a buck and what happened I don't think I could describe as anything other than "bullet failure". To keep a long story longer, I had a large buck travel almost directly under my stand, sub 20 yards. I fired two times at the deer, the first bullet it right behind the shoulder blade in the vitals, the second bullet as it was running away was a non-vital hit that barely clipped the near shoulder bone, but did seem to shatter the upper shoulder/leg bone entirely. The deer jump and took off crashing through the brush, as fatally hit deer often do. I sat in my stand for another 10 min and could see clearly in the snow where my bullets had passed through into the ground. When I got down, I didn't find any blood whatsoever, just fur right where both bullet holes were in the ground. Finding blood, if there was any, would have been very easy since there was snow on the ground.

At this point, I was feeling incredibly uneasy about my shot. I thought I maybe I grazed the deer at nearly arms length or put a bad shot on it, despite how it reacted to the gun shots. I looked at the time, and decided I would sit for exactly one hour before I would start tracking the deer.

So I waited the hour, and about 30 yards into tracking the deer, I find a little bit of bright red blood. A little bit of blood soon turned into a consistent blood trail, although not nearly as much blood as I usually see on a deer I've shot at point blank range. About about 50 yards more, I see the deer on its side facing away. I move up to it very quietly and slowly, and circle around in front of the deer, and the deer is STILL breathing, taking very short shallow breaths.

At this point I feel like total garbage knowing this deer was laying there sucking wind for a full hour, so I quickly shot it again behind the shoulder blade. Much to my surprise, this seemed to reinvigorate the deer and it attempted to get back on its feet. It got its back legs underneath itself, to the point it was sitting like a dog sits facing right at me. I shoot him again square in the chest from a mere feet away and that seemed to do the trick. Yikes.

All the bullets were a full pass through except the frontal shot, and find the bullet wounds was very hard. Finding them was like searching a dog for ticks.

Anyways, should I try lead bullets out of the AR pistol? Go back to the trusty 12 gauge slug? Really not impressed with the copper bullet's performance. I don't understand how a deer shots in the vitals could be alive a full hour after I shot it. Who knows how far it could have gone if my second shot didn't clip a shoulder bone. Has anyone had similar issues with .300 BLK or have a bullet recommendation that has worked well in the past?
not 100% on this , but I recall the tactical 110 gr is designed for penetration (thru car doors and windshields for example) so behaves like a solid in game.

not 100% on this , but I recall the tactical 110 gr is designed for penetration (thru car doors and windshields for example) so behaves like a solid in game.
That would make sense and it said to have been designed for tactical applications, but I’ve seen it touted by Barnes and elsewhere as a good bullet for deer/hogs. Hell, they even have a deer on the damn box.

Get yourself an expanding soft point bullet. Something's that was designed to expand at relatively low impact velocity.

I would look into the Federal Fusion line with the 150gr. I have a friend who loves them in his MSR... He has taken several deer with his and I have helped process them with him. The damage was very similar to a 30-30 Win with a soft point..

I gutted it, but I didn’t skin it, as I’m the classic Midwestern miscreant that takes his deer to a processor.

I found the exit hole to the first shot, never found an entrance wound tho. The second shot that messed up his leg was easy to find. I never saw any holes from the 3rd and 4th shots. There was a fair amount of blood inside the deer when I opened him up, like I’ve seen with gut shot deer before.

The only organ that I could see visible damage was the top of the heart was split, but I’m pretty sure that was from the frontal shot that finished him.

Maybe I only clipped one lung, but based on the broadside angle it seems like that would have been hard to only it one lung, but I really can’t rule that out entirely.

If you had a good hit to the lungs/heart, the entire thoracic cavity would have been full of blood. If there was a fair bit of blood in the abdominal cavity you liked hit the liver.

I don’t understand your statement there was a lot of blood like a gut shot?

I’m not a big fan of solids in the AR15 platform. I don't think the small powder loads generate enough velocity for expansion. I think a simple cup and core, like Sierra Pro Hunter or Nosler Ballistic Tips are better suited.

Last edited:
I never thought of using an AR pistol in the shotgun/pistol zone!

Sounds like the wrong bullets. Look for hunting specific bullets. Might be hard to find right now like everything is, but they're out there if you keep looking.

A 12g slug is so much overkill lol, but I use one when I hunt our land in the shotgun zone and it sure kills quickly and efficiently. Makes you feel good making such a quick kill on a deer. A blind person could follow a blood trail from a deer shot with a 12g lol.

If you had a good hit to the lungs/heart, the entire thoracic cavity would have been full of blood. If there was a fair bit of blood in the abdominal cavity you liked hit the liver.

I don’t understand your statement there was a lot of blood like a gut shot?
I should have explained better. The blood seemed to come out of the thoracic. This might make not make any sense, or just could have been how the deer was titled/laying when it gutted it, but seemed like the blood was around the diaphragm.

The liver wasn’t damaged.

I never thought of using an AR pistol in the shotgun/pistol zone!

Sounds like the wrong bullets. Look for hunting specific bullets. Might be hard to find right now like everything is, but they're out there if you keep looking.

A 12g slug is so much overkill lol, but I use one when I hunt our land in the shotgun zone and it sure kills quickly and efficiently. Makes you feel good making such a quick kill on a deer. A blind person could follow a blood trail from a deer shot with a 12g lol.

Agreed. Never had to track a deer hit with a 12 ga very far. *knock on wood*

I'm looking forward to trying the Discreet Ballistics 188gn expanding subsonics on game, they have lots of pictures of great success. There isn't much out there for expanding 300blk, but for supers I'd probably be using the Hornady 135gn FTX.

My boys and I have killed dozens of deer and hogs with supersonic 110g TAC-TX from 300 AAC. Everything from a 9” SBR to a 16” hand built Savage. Suppressed and unsuppressed. They penetrate and expand reliably, and transfer energy well.

As always, shot placement is key. No offense, but is it possible you had an issue holding true with the pistol or maybe flinched? In my experience if you hit vitals, those bullets deliver.

I shot a small whitetail buck about 4 years ago with my Ruger Ranch rifle in .300 blk. Had some 125 grain softpoints(handloads) and he didn't go very far and expired quickly with one through the lungs.

My boys and I have killed dozens of deer and hogs with supersonic 110g TAC-TX from 300 AAC. Everything from a 9” SBR to a 16” hand built Savage. Suppressed and unsuppressed. They penetrate and expand reliably, and transfer energy well.

As always, shot placement is key. No offense, but is it possible you had an issue holding true with the pistol or maybe flinched? In my experience if you hit vitals, those bullets deliver.

Certainly possible I flinched, my ego isn’t big enough to ever rule out a user mistake.

I just don’t get how a deer could be grievously injured enough to only make it 80 yards, but still be slumped up and alive after an hour. Maybe because of the downward angle I only hit a single lung?

That’s a good question. Deer aren’t endowed with super powers.

The TAC-TX is designed as a barrier blind round, but not an extreme penetrator. That means they resist surface deflection, like windshields, yet still expand at both close and long range.

Despite that, it is possible you may have clipped a rib and sent the bullet in a less lethal direction on impact.

That would make sense and it said to have been designed for tactical applications, but I’ve seen it touted by Barnes and elsewhere as a good bullet for deer/hogs. Hell, they even have a deer on the damn box.

A 55gr FMJ from a 223 kills deer very well. Just depends on how you hit them. I've never even seen a 300 Blackout but assume it's a rather small case limiting velocity so I suspect I might try a heavier jacketed bullet in it. maybe something like a 125gr soft point of some kind.

From Barnes: https://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/300-blackout/
I see nothing from their website that says this bullet was designed for tactical only applications. Per Barnes, it's designed as a hunting bullet.

That being said, this happens. My buddy's buck from this year was taking gasps of air by the time we got to it after being hit twice with 165 TTSX through the lungs. Required another shot. I've seen it happen with Accubonds too. And core lokts.

Last edited:
Also, no offense here, but the situation you described sounds like a poorly hit animal. I don't think the bullet would have mattered much in the above described situation.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back