Can anyone help me by giving me some advanced tips for elk hunting?

CarsonSmithElkHunter

I have hunted elk in the Labarge Creek, and Greys River hunt areas for 4 years. I haven't got an elk there yet. I am looking for a new place to go in LaBarge Creek, or Greys River areas. I was wondering if you knew if the elk herd population is declining, or is hunting just getting harder? I hunt with my Grandpa, and the usual spot they had been killed elk annually at has no elk there. It is on a hill, and there is a meadow about 1/2 a mile from the hill. We always park in the meadow, so we can hunt the hill where the elk always used to be. But now, with all the fourwheelers, trucks, and side by sides all going right out to the edge, there isn't elk there anymore. Also could you help me find some places to go there for deer? This year the deer hunting sucked, we couldn't even find any does. I couldn't believe that we didn't even find does. If you have time to help me I would be very appreciative. And just so you know the reason I haven't killed an elk is not from lack of trying. I hunt my ass off, and I have hiked, even when no one else would go with me. I don't know why I can't get an elk. I am very discouraged. My Uncle that hunts with us, has killed an elk almost every year there. I don't know how he does it, but he does. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to HT! Not to sound glib, but it sounds like your uncle is a great resource if he's willing to give you some pointers towards seeing more elk in the places you all hunt.

I'll be headed that general part of the state this summer, going in blind, and I can't wait to start figuring out elk habitat preferences and movement patterns.

I'd definitely recommend checking out Randy Newberg's e-scouting series, and 5 phases of elk hunting on youtube.

This goes for all the other species I hunt and not elk, but I don't hunt where there are not animals. I don't care if there were a thousand of them there last year or whatever. Pressure or weather or predators or whatever can shuffle the deck. I spend more time scouting than hunting, and if a spot is unproductive I try to figure out why, and then cross it and similar places off my list on my quest to find where the animals are currently concentrated.

Welcome to HT! Not to sound glib, but it sounds like your uncle is a great resource if he's willing to give you some pointers towards seeing more elk in the places you all hunt.

I'll be headed to that general part of the state this summer, going in blind, and I can't wait to start figuring out elk habitat preferences and movement patterns.

I'd definitely recommend checking out Randy Newberg's e-scouting series, and 5 phases of elk hunting on youtube.

This goes for all the other species I hunt and not elk, but I don't hunt where there are not animals. I don't care if there were a thousand of them there last year. Pressure or weather or predators or whatever can shuffle the deck. I spend more time scouting than hunting, and if a spot is unproductive I try to figure out why, and then cross it and similar places off my list on my quest to find where the animals are currently concentrated.

I'll be headed to that general part of the state this summer, going in blind, and I can't wait to start figuring out elk habitat preferences and movement patterns.

This goes for all the other species I hunt and not elk, but I don't hunt where there are not animals. I don't care if there were a thousand of them there last year. Pressure or weather or predators or whatever can shuffle the deck. I spend more time scouting than hunting, and if a spot is unproductive I try to figure out why, and then cross it and similar places off my list on my quest to find where the animals are currently concentrated.
You gotta be the nicest guy on hunt talk today. Or in a really good mood!

Just go where the trails aren’t and glass a lot. That’s some game rich country.

One thing that helped me was a course that Corey, a friend of Randy Newberg in addition to Randy's videos. The key to me getting my elk consistently was understanding them better. Take the Elk University 101 course The information is helpful to beginners. Randy and Corey both give awesome advise in the videos presented in that course. Then look at the other movies presented by both Randy and Corey. It might help you get over the hump trying to figure it out. It has helped me. Go to elk101.com and check it out.

I do not know that area but it sounds like your uncle does. There is nothing more valuable than inside information or getting the opportunity to hunt an area with a seasoned and usually successful hunter. Maybe ask your uncle to tag along and leave your weapon at the truck so he doesn’t feel your infringing on his hunt and see if you pick up on some things you might be overlooking.

Thank you sir.

Btw I have hunted alot with my Uncle. From 2000 to 2012, my Grandpa killed elk up there. So it isn't because we don't know the area. Are the elk populations going down, or is hunting just getting harder? I don't know why my Grandpa and I can't find elk, but we can't.

I don't know any good tips to give, but I do have a question.. Do you guys do much scouting at all? I've only killed a couple of elk, but each time when I found the area the elk were using there was sign everywhere.

Again, not the same thing, but my success on whitetails went up a great deal when I started hunting "sign" instead of hunting "spots". Oftentimes now I'll go into an area blind and just walk until I find good fresh sign, then figure out how I want to hunt it.

I don't know how mobile your grandfather is, but my suggestion would be to keep moving until you start finding fresh tracks, scat, etc. and don't fall into the trap of just going back into the same old spots just because you've had success there before.

This doesn't make sense. You've hunted a lot with your uncle and he gets an elk every year but you don't know how he does it.

I don't see how we can help you if your uncle can't. You don't notice anything different that he's doing than what you're doing?

I have been in that area a couple times and there are some elk there but it certainly isn't prime. That translates into more time and work than normal to find success. As others have said, I would definitely rely heavily on your uncle if he is successful every year.

Btw I have hunted alot with my Uncle. From 2000 to 2012, my Grandpa killed elk up there. So it isn't because we don't know the area. Are the elk populations going down, or is hunting just getting harder? I don't know why my Grandpa and I can't find elk, but we can't.

There could be a number of reasons. If you spent every waking hour out there, not sitting in a truck or on a road for a month they may be there a couple days. Depends on the spot, time of year, weather, pressure, population numbers, and what you had for breakfast...

A hundred reason but if your not finding them year after year, it’s a good time to try some new areas. If you want to hunt close by, maybe check out onx and look at other areas that look similar

...But now, with all the fourwheelers, trucks, and side by sides all going right out to the edge, there isn't elk there anymore.

I think you answered your own question. Don;t expect things to remain static. Eventually word gets out - always- and the elk respond to the change. I doubt they went far.

Look at Randy’s onx you tube videos. Then watch them again. It will giv you a good baseline. Then get out in the field and look on the ground to see what your looking at to give reference. If you aren’t close to your hunting area, try some area close to you just to get familiar with it. Google earth is a good 3rd tool too to look at 3D rendering of the landscapes and elevation changes.

I don't know any good tips to give, but I do have a question.. Do you guys do much scouting at all? I've only killed a couple of elk, but each time when I found the area the elk were using there was sign everywhere.

Again, not the same thing, but my success on whitetails went up a great deal when I started hunting "sign" instead of hunting "spots". Oftentimes now I'll go into an area blind and just walk until I find good fresh sign, then figure out how I want to hunt it.

I don't know how mobile your grandfather is, but my suggestion would be to keep moving until you start finding fresh tracks, scat, etc. and don't fall into the trap of just going back into the same old spots just because you've had success there before.
No, we don't do any scouting. We are going to go this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back