Camoflage and Hunting boots suggestions for SW CO

jonesy519

I just joined the forum on 7-12-09 and saw some great tips from all the threads i have looked at. I'll be out in CO from Sept 17-27 for my 30th Birthday Public Land bow hunt with one of best friends who lives in Denver. Pretty nice of a wife to do for me bc she will be 6 months pregnant when i'm out there.:D
I realize that it gets very hot during the day and i wanted to get some feedback on some of the camo patterns or brands any that anyone would recommend. I live in NJ so would any Mossy Oak or Realtreen Pattern work ok in the Aspens?
I also need a few pointer son hunting boots. Any suggestions on very lightweight hunting boots?
Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the frenzy!

IMO, Mossy Oak and/or Realtree will make you look like a big dark colored blob in an Aspen grove. (Just being honest) Find a pattern that is designed to break up your outline (Predator Spring Green or ASAT for example).

Since you indicated you'll be archery hunting in CO......that means the early season (Aug/Sep). Boots need to be extremely comfortable, with good ankle support, and perhaps Gortex lined for those periodic thunderstorms that magically appear that time of year.

Boots are VERY specific to each individual and what boot manufacturer I like may not work for you. I would suggest a quality manufacturer though. I have several pairs of boots to cover each type of hunt and time of year. Some are Danner (USA models), New Balance, Asolo, Vasque, Meindel, etc. My favorite boot that is extremely comfortable, waterproof, uninsulated (early season), light-weight, good ankle support, is the Vasque Breeze back-packing boot. But it's for narrow feet folks.........if you have wide feet, you may want to look at Danner or Meindel. JMO

Thank you very much for input BOHTR! Any littlle bit information really can help me prepare. I am definately going to look into the camo patterns you have suggested since i will be hunting completely different terrain then what i am accustomed to.

Again Thanks for your input and happy hunting!

Jonesy:

Welcome. Wish you good luck on your hunt.

Everyone here will agree that what Bohntr says, you can take to the bank. His advice will serve you well.

Jonesy.. Ditto what Big Fin says about BOHNTR.. First there was Fred Bear then came BOHNTR. That's all I got to say about that. Welcome to the site and good luck!

Back