Caribou Gear

California mule deer

heelerdog

So my wife is sitting on her doopa having her morning coffee with her friend (same as yesterday and the day before and the day before that it's their thing you see) and they see this feller in the yard. Not too shabby for California and before "The View" to boot. He looks just short of prime maybe, so maybe he'll get better yet. She just got her first hunting license last year and we are waiting on her first deer, she admitted she would have had no problem taking him. She's been worried about actually killing a deer.

Attachments

• 2006-02-20_0008.jpg
    2006-02-20_0008.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 2006-02-20_0026.jpg
    2006-02-20_0026.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 823
  • 2006-02-20_0029.jpg
    2006-02-20_0029.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 756
  • 2006-02-20_0031.jpg
    2006-02-20_0031.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 789
Nice buck HDog...looks a little frosty up that way and more snow's a coming this week!

You going to the squirrel shoot in Cedarville this year?

He's already behind the fence....just get him tied up and feed him real good.....oughta be a dandy by huntin' season. :D

Have your wife come up with a nickname for him. That way maybe she will become more and more interested in seeing him again. Then come huntin' season, she'll definately be ready to go after him. Anything to help get her ready.

Marv I'm not going to be at the squirrel shoot. I think it's great and all but I can't see spending 40 bucks to do something I can do for free any other day. Also I think the chamber of commerce made it invitation only this year, seems it's getting a little too popular. If your coming it should be a good year, the little bastards are already out pretty good. They been out for the last 3 weeks or so on and off. If your headed up give a holler.

Muley she doesn't need a nickname for him she wants him in a bad way. She looks for him every day and has been patrolling the yard looking for his sheds. Although for whatever reason I don't think I've seen one buck that has dropped them yet.

I live just south of you. I just saw 2 bucks in the last week with only one horn. I hope it's the good growing conditions that kept their horns on so long. The weather has been soooo good. Plenty of moisture but not severe. Honey Lake is as full as it gets and there is plenty of smow on the mountains for runoof this spring. Looks to be an excellent year for horn growth. With spring rains the chukar and waterfowl will take off also. Nice pics and good hunting.

Welcome aboard Califelkslayer! Nice to get a few more NorCalr's on the boards...where about's are you from on the Modoc?

MarvB,califelkslayer, and heelerdog. Just wanted to say hello to you all, being my first post and all. If I live long enough to see my retirement, I just might build a homestead/ranch house on the property 3 other guys and I bought on the peak of Schaffer Mountain in X3b. Ya never know... we might all bump into each other some day. I'm hoping to see a couple of bucks on my property like the one in heelerdog's photos. DD

Nice pictures and Congrats on getting her fired up... LOoks liek a Couple other "LOCAL FOR YOU" guys are here too !!! Welcome aboard Mate's !!!!

Double D welcome aboard bruddah! Where abouts on Schaffer did you buy?
I've hunted a lot around the pass from Shake Canyon and then up the Rush Creek side. I like that area- good bucks in the old cut blocks but it's just a hard draw that sucks! :(

MarvB, thanks for the welcome. I know a "Marvin" who lives in Likely and I'm if wondering it's you? (also know Rodney Fornalloy). Anyhow, my mistake about the deer zone area... my zone is actually in X3a. A logging company was selling two lots totaling 1400 acres and 4 other partners and I scooped them up. To tell you the truth, I haven't even seen the property yet -but I viewed a video one of my cousin/partners made of the land (and two nice bucks in velvet!!) and it looks perfect. Its about 50/50 second-growth pines and open ridges with a little sage here and there. I only know that the area we bought is located south of Aldin Pass, and our two blocks butt up to Schaffer Mountain on the north and east slopes.
I know what you mean about the tag situation. Fish & Game mentioned something about landowner tags, but I ain't gonna be holding my breath waiting for them to show up in the mail anytime soon. Good talking with you, Dave

Dave- Not me in Likely, I'm a Redding boy that just hunts up that way ;)
Hdog is right though, you've got plenty of acreage to qualify for PLM you just need to get with a biologist to set up the program via wildlife enhancment. With that amount of acreage (and depending on your plans) you'd likely qualify for multiple tags.

Thanks again to both of you guys for the info. It sounds like that is the way it might all come about ...I'm kinda new to this "landowner" stuff. After collecting six X Zone bonus points, it would be really wierd to actually get a tag. I've just recently started looking into the PLM program and it looks like the way to go. Dave

I believe you'll be dealing with Rich (biologist) and Brian (warden) they are both real good guys and will be as helpful as they possibly can be. They both work real hard and do a good job. Brians first deer season Brian drove 30 miles one way on his day off to investigate a poaching incident my wife and I overheard by the perpetrators in a local cafe. You got some good country there, there are some hawgs out there but they didnt ge tto be that way by making themselves available during hunting season. Good luck.

MarvB, I'm down in Lassen County, outside of Janesville. For about 10 years I spent most Tues, Thurs, and Sat from Nov thru Jan on the refuge up there chasing geese. Now I only go up there for the Junior Duck hunt with my son. I've convinced myself that if I chase chukar instead, I'll stay younger, longer. Not sure it's working but it's fun.

Ahhh, a Honey Lake boy eh? ;) Haven't been up that side in a bit, though we still hear your neighbors in Herlong down here in the Valley when the wind is right :D The boomers must shake you pretty good over in JVille!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back