Caitlin Clark

Overall I think NIL needed to happen, and was going to happen sooner than later no matter what. I am certain that the total financial benefit is skewed heavily to a small group of players, but I think it still has benefit for quite a few.

Say that Jane Doe is a backup point guard at at mid-major. Probably not going to make much on her name/image/likeness, but she's well known where she grew up. The rec center in her home town wants to pay her $500 for teaching a weekend basketball camp for kids while she's home on Christmas break. She doesn't have to worry about getting sideways with the NCAA and getting penalized. I think that kind of thing is fairly common -- kids making a few bucks for headlining a sports camp, a local radio commercial, etc. It has probably always been done, but now can be done legitimately.

And say a running back on the football teams makes $500K in Name Image Likenesss (NIL) money because he gains 1,000+ years per season. But the players who largely make it possible for him to gain those 1,000+ yards, the offensive lineman, receive $0. The coach will say publicly in front of the TV cameras that they are all, “family”. But anyone who understands human nature knows better. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with that mess.

I thought most of the schools were doing something similar to how Texas Tech is doing it. They have a entity that pools a bunch of the money and provides a guaranteed NIL amount for every player on the team. Every player on the football team is guaranteed $25,000 NIL money through that organization. Each player can go out and get additional NIL money on their own.

I think they are doing similar things for other sports but for less money.

I think you might be missing my point. While I agree, the transfer portal hasn't changed this. NCAA will continue to be about profit and exploiting the athletes. I think the players should get to make money for sure, but only the top players will make money. Thousands more will think they should be making in and even thousands more will never make a cent. This will lead to bad decisions. Then we will see threads on HT about not being able to hire college kids these days and complain that they don't stick around a job, learning skills and working their way up. Instead they just quit and jump to the next opportunity. Oh wait, we already have those... ;)
No, I fully understand your point. Very few college athletes are transferring for large sums of NIL money, and the ones that do I'm sure know what they are getting before they enter the portal. You know, since coaches:
Sure there are rules about coaches not being able to communicate with players that are with other schools, but we all know that stuff happens.

but in women’s basketvall, about 40% don’t find a home and many that do don’t get scholarships.
I'm curious to where to find that 40% of women transferring that have a scholarship are doing so and no receiving aid or not finding a home at all. I pulled this from the website you posted above and only used undergrads (since grad transfers have proven they can stick around and should be hired by employers on HT). Seems to me most are transferring for aid, which is usually down a level and usually would equate to more playing time.

1680620399011.png

No, I fully understand your point. Very few college athletes are transferring for large sums of NIL money, and the ones that do I'm sure know what they are getting before they enter the portal. You know, since coaches:

I'm curious to where to find that 40% of women transferring that have a scholarship are doing so and no receiving aid or not finding a home at all. I pulled this from the website you posted above and only used undergrads (since grad transfers have proven they can stick around and should be hired by employers on HT). Seems to me most are transferring for aid, which is usually down a level and usually would equate to more playing time.

View attachment 270904
My bad. I was mixing up sports. 40% of FBS football transfers didn't find scholarships. Your graph is correct.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back