Caitlin Clark

As a Gamecock fan I can honestly say she is one of the best female basketball players I've ever watched. The performance she put up against us was unreal.

The game was disappointing. Iowa couldn't match the size (just like with SC) but LSU hit the outside shots. There was no way for Iowa to make it competitive.

I struggle with what college basketball has become. LSU acquired 9 players through the transfer portal while Iowa's team was recruited traditionally and has played together for years. Same thing in tonight's game. Upon has 5 players from the transfer portal. Just doesn't seem like a good look for the NCAA. There is no penalty for these kids to declare to one school and transfer to another because it is "better" or pays higher through NIL. What are we teaching them (or maybe is what we are teaching them positive)?

Coaches have done this for YEARS. Why shouldn’t Kids be allowed to?
I agree. Coaches transfer for more $. Fine. I have no problem with that, even if I don't like it. But once they transfer they have recruit players to the school. Rarely does a coach get to come in and have a top 10 team handed to them. A player now can get recruited in HS, choose a school and then a year later enter the transfer portal to get recruited again without penalty. Then they choose what college team looks good and make a run. I guess I kind of liked the old rule where they had to wait out a year. Sure there are rules about coaches not being able to communicate with players that are with other schools, but we all know that stuff happens. Seems like it just makes the top brand name schools that much harder to beat in the recruiting game. I guess I'm just old school.

I'm fine with the transfer portal. There are a million reasons why a student might want to change schools. Only a few are nefarious.

Others might be, to be closer to home, to be farther from home, the coach that recruited them left, the coach that recruited them misled them, and on and on.

Big time college coaches have long enjoy ruling their personal fiefdom. I like that in the men's final four, most of the usual suspects were knocked out of the tourney early.

Who'd a thought San Diego State would be in the final game.

LSU ran the table. They were bigger, stronger, and faster, an on top of that shot better than in any other game they've played in the tourney (fg%/3pnt%; 44/7, 35/31, 41/23, 30/8, 47/23, 54/65)

You could argue they "rose to the occasion", but you might also say they got lucky, every team does from time to time, they just had it happened in the last game of the tourney.

Also, apparently I'm a racist because I saw a stark difference between the two "cena's" LSU didn't make me a fan of their team, program, or school. No class.

I'm fine with the transfer portal. There are a million reasons why a student might want to change schools. Only a few are nefarious.

Others might be, to be closer to home, to be farther from home, the coach that recruited them left, the coach that recruited them misled them, and on and on.

Big time college coaches have long enjoy ruling their personal fiefdom. I like that in the men's final four, most of the usual suspects were knocked out of the tourney early.

Who'd a thought San Diego State would be in the final game.
Interesting article on Gonzaga approach. Also, the team has already had two of their own players enter the portal. It is so confusing. These players can basically be free agents whenever they want. The article says there are over 1,100 players in the portal. Your arguments are hard to argue against, but the coaching departure was previously allowed and the college is the same distance from home as when they declared. Mostly I think they declare for more playing time. To them, the problem is the coach, or the school, or the team. It’s never them or they aren’t good enough, or working hard enough, or not accepting their role. It’s symptomatic of society.

2019/2020 NCAA Analysis of the transfer portal. I like to see if the conclusion is the same today.

Interesting article on Gonzaga approach. Also, the team has already had two of their own players enter the portal. It is so confusing. These players can basically be free agents whenever they want. The article says there are over 1,100 players in the portal. Your arguments are hard to argue against, but the coaching departure was previously allowed and the college is the same distance from home as when they declared. Mostly I think they declare for more playing time. To them, the problem is the coach, or the school, or the team. It’s never them or they aren’t good enough, or working hard enough, or not accepting their role. It’s symptomatic of society.

2019/2020 NCAA Analysis of the transfer portal. I like to see if the conclusion is the same today.

I suspect that playing time is a driving force. Many high school kids dream of playing at the highest level. Many find out that they are a better fit at a lower level, or a school not as deep at their position.

At the end of the day, everyone wants playing time.

Reactions: MLC
They’re not chasing playing time. They’re chasing NIL money. It is what it is, can't say I wouldn't do the same thing under the same circumstances.
I’m sure there are a thousand different reasons, but $ talks. What I worry about is are they being realistic? The data is a little frightening. It varies by sport, but in women’s basketvall, about 40% don’t find a home and many that do don’t get scholarships.

I’m sure there are a thousand different reasons, but $ talks. What I worry about is are they being realistic? The data is a little frightening. It varies by sport, but in women’s basketvall, about 40% don’t find a home and many that do don’t get scholarships.

Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

Is that a risk you’re willing to take?
Me? No, but I’m an idiot that still believes you should go to college for the education not the NIL $.

I note that the stats could be looked at another way. A good percentage of the transfers are graduate level. So they get their degree at one school and still have eligibility so transfer to another, presumably for the chance to get another year of post grad education. Great for them. I just this the system begs for manipulation. The story behind the LSU transfers is a prime example.

The NCAA has proven for several decades it believes it should be about profit before the kids’ education. They’ve been exploiting the top college players for far too long. My opinion is as long as coaches can leave without penalty to the kids, kids should be able to as well.

Edit: is bolded.

Last edited:
The NCAA has proven for several decades it believes it should be about profit before the kids’ education. They’ve been exploiting the top college players for far too long. My opinion is as long as coaches can leave without penalty to the kids, kids should be able to as well.

^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^

Why would she need money?? She’s already getting a free education!!

But really, that’s fantastic of her. Well grounded woman then can hopefully get the help on the roster through the transfer portal to go one more step next year. Because no freshman is helping Iowa get over the hump.

Last edited:
Does anyone own a time machine? I want to repeat and relive my 4 years of undergrad at LSU. My body couldn’t take it at this age. I can still taste the cheap alcohol served at campus parties and sporting events almost 35 years later. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

I think you might be missing my point. While I agree, the transfer portal hasn't changed this. NCAA will continue to be about profit and exploiting the athletes. I think the players should get to make money for sure, but only the top players will make money. Thousands more will think they should be making in and even thousands more will never make a cent. This will lead to bad decisions. Then we will see threads on HT about not being able to hire college kids these days and complain that they don't stick around a job, learning skills and working their way up. Instead they just quit and jump to the next opportunity. Oh wait, we already have those... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back