Caitlin Clark

I thought Clark’s technical foul for flipping the ball behind her back was largely uncalled for. Especially at such a critical point in the game. And I don’t understand why Reese wasn’t whistled for a technical for blatantly taunting Clark at the end of the game. I watched the postgame press conference and not one media member asked her (Reese) why she did that. At the end of the day, LSU played better than Iowa and this game, as well as the the South Carolina/ Iowa game had to be very hard to offiate.
Agreed Reese should of been T'D twice for taunting in the last 2.5 minutes. And yes Clark's tech was bullcrap.

She was asked later and said she taunted her because of the disrespect clark showed south Carolina by not guarding the 3 point shot. 🙄 ridiculous.

Agreed Reese should of been T'D twice for taunting in the last 2.5 minutes. And yes Clark's tech was bullcrap.

She was asked later and said she taunted her because of the disrespect clark showed south Carolina by not guarding the 3 point shot. 🙄 ridiculous.
Their strategy was the same for lsu, until they went 9/12 in the first half from deep. Guess they should have respected that lsu actually had women that could shoot from outside. Refs were absolutely terrible both ways from start to finish.

This was the first women’s basketball game I’ve ever watched, largely on the strength of this thread and other accounts regarding Clark.
Got to say, the game was very disappointing, with LSU dominating physically, Clark apparently not able to play defense, Clark firing shots from all over, hopelessly unathletic play from many on iowas side, ridiculous officiating.

The highlights from Clark looked great but at least in this game she depended far too much on low percentage shots. I suppose it could be argued that’s her game and she just had an off night.

Overall … I wanted to give it a chance but it’s not a compelling product IMO.

This was the first women’s basketball game I’ve ever watched, largely on the strength of this thread and other accounts regarding Clark.
Got to say, the game was very disappointing, with LSU dominating physically, Clark apparently not able to play defense, Clark firing shots from all over, hopelessly unathletic play from many on iowas side, ridiculous officiating.

The highlights from Clark looked great but at least in this game she depended far too much on low percentage shots. I suppose it could be argued that’s her game and she just had an off night.

This, a lot of people tuned in to see this game because of Clark and the refs made the game almost unwatchable. Unfortunately a lot of people will be one and done for watching women's college basketball.

Congratulations to the LSU Tigers 2023 Women’s National Basketball Championship.

Our first basketball title in the modern era and LSU’s most recent national title since the 2019 Football National Championship with Joe Burrow and team.

Geaux Tigers! Happy hunting, TheGrayRider. LSU Alum 1990.

Not the results we were looking for but Iowa just got out played. Officiating was questionable both ways but still great to be a HAWKEYE!

Clark gave Van Lith the John Cena hand guesture on Friday night.

That is why Reese returned the same hand guesture to Clark on Sunday.

Not a good look for either of them. But Clark initiated that, not Reese.

This, a lot of people tuned in to see this game because of Clark and the refs made the game almost unwatchable. Unfortunately a lot of people will be one and done for watching women's college basketball.
It really says a lot when people are disappointed in a players performance when they lead all scorers with 30 points and shoot 42% from the 3 point line in a national championship game. Throw in 8 assists too. Pretty amazing when people are saying that is an off night.

I watched (first time watching a women's game in over 10 years at least) and to me it almost seemed like the refs were trying to do everything in their power to make the game about them instead of the players. The technical foul was absolutely ridiculous and the ref that called it needs to be fined or reprimanded. That completely changed the game as it came right as Iowa was really making a comeback. Some of the calls non-calls both directions were crazy.

Not sure if I will watch again or not. Probably depends on what kind of supporting players Iowa has next year.

If you watched because of one player, it's no surprise you feel that way. The officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Iowa got their but kicked. They relied too heavily on one player. mtmuley

My wife does not watch basketball, but she was actually interested in watching with me because of all the stuff she had seen about Clark on social media. I told her this game had the potential to give women's basketball a huge boost. Both teams were extremely talented, it was a shame that the officiating was so terrible and took away from the game. I was happy to hear that Clark is ineligible for the draft so we will get to watch her dominate at the college level again next year. It sounds like LSU will be loaded with talent and have a good chance to repeat.

It really says a lot when people are disappointed in a players performance when they lead all scorers with 30 points and shoot 42% from the 3 point line in a national championship game. Throw in 8 assists too. Pretty amazing when people are saying that is an off night.
That's impressive, didn't realize she shot 42% from 3. No doubt, she's a great offensive player. Honestly I couldn't watch the whole thing and my sampling might have been off. I just didn't find it very compelling / entertaining TV
If you watched because of one player, it's no surprise you feel that way. The officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Iowa got their but kicked. They relied too heavily on one player. mtmuley
I wouldn't argue against that - the game was totally one-sided. "come for the sensational POY, stay for the great competition" didn't work.

I watched some of the games towards the end of the tournament. I think women's basketball has come a long way. Their ball skills and shooting are very good.

In yesterday's game, I told my wife, three minutes into the game that Iowa State had the best player, and LSU had many players better than any other Hawkeye.

The officiating was a distraction. It can be difficult to know from watching on TV, how much banter is going on between the teams. It might be the refs were trying to keep a lid on it, idk.

The better team won.

In all honesty, I have often struggled watching girl's or women's basketball. Just a different style of play from men's that I usually don't find as entertaining. But I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game. The shooting was incredible, some of the passes that were delivered were mind boggling, and a lot of the ball handling was fantastic. I also like it when these ladies get in there and get physical and highly competitive. Shows my girls another aspect of what it can mean to be a lady. Was not impressed with the officiating at all.

I watched some of the games towards the end of the tournament. I think women's basketball has come a long way. Their ball skills and shooting are very good.

In yesterday's game, I told my wife, three minutes into the game that Iowa State had the best player, and LSU had many players better than any other Hawkeye.

The officiating was a distraction. It can be difficult to know from watching on TV, how much banter is going on between the teams. It might be the refs were trying to keep a lid on it, idk.

The better team won.
The difference in the game came down to Carson, who scored ZERO points in the previous 3 tournament games, averages 8.8 a game all season, and bombs in 22, 21 in the first half when LSU is in foul trouble.

Without that standout performance, that game could have easily went the other way.

While I disagree with Clark’s technical and think Reese should have received one I don’t fault the refs for the rest of their calls. This is coming from a former HS varsity (boys) coach who also did some officiating. What the novice fan doesn’t realize is players are taught/coached to “push the envelope“ with respect to physicality until the refs draw the line so to speak. Same with the hacking at the ball and attempts to create held ball (jump ball) calls. So refs are often accused of “letting the game get out of control” if they let a higher degree of pushing and shoving go, and “taking over the game” or “making the game about them”, if they try to limit the physical play. Also, until you’ve been a ref, you can’t begin to understand how difficult it is to see everything, especially under the basket. And with todays athletes who are bigger, stronger and faster, I can’t imagine how difficult it is. So what players and coaches want is consistency, which when a few calls are missed due to errors in judgment or the refs view being blocked, we often cry “FOUL”.

The difference in the game came down to Carson, who scored ZERO points in the previous 3 tournament games, averages 8.8 a game all season, and bombs in 22, 21 in the first half when LSU is in foul trouble.

Without that standout performance, that game could have easily went the other way.

I googled Carson during the game. Her story is an interesting one.

She took good shots and made them. The only lucky one was the last shot of the first half. When a reserve player feels empowered to take big shots, that tells me volumes about the coach and the team culture.

One reason that she had such an impact was those were the shots that Iowa State was conceding. In earlier games the opposing team may well have been defending LSU differently, idk, I did not watch.

Anyway one hellva way for a player to close out a collegiate career.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back