Buying American again.

I have fought most of my life to ban livestock from our wildlife habitats that are sensitive. Meadows,High mountains ,trout streams. Testified a few times too.Cost me friends. Screw em.They are eating my deer & elk feed,muddying streams and meadows and they're not conservatives.
Kudos. A complex issue to say the least.
I was just adding a little appreciation for nuance.
I don't necessarily want my children working in factories. I also don't want them to grow up hungry

Kudos. A complex issue to say the least.
I was just adding a little appreciation for nuance.
I don't necessarily want my children working in factories. I also don't want them to grow up hungry
I have no kids in this fight. Just kin. And wish no one lives a solid factory life if that is what they wish. Nor hungry.
I may be an old dummie but we were booming when I was younger. A factory job raised families and paid for homes my family built. No one can afford a home now.

Glad I'm in the old west where your dead if you don't have it figured out and not rich. Still.

I'm sure to piss some people off, but here goes; We live in a global economy. The whole "buy American" argument died decades ago. It's just not possible anymore. Buy local? Sure, but where did they source their products? Some of you are mad that Apple inked a deal to make their products in China. Spoiler alert: They've been doing it for years. A mobile phone (or a computer, car, or a house, etc.) is made up of hundreds (or thousands) of parts that come from all over the world. Just walking into the grocery store is like shopping from 75% of the world in one place. You're wasting your time chasing an ideal that doesn't exist anymore.

I buy American when I can, but it is certainly not feasible all the time. I avoid Walmart like the plague - but sometimes it is a necessary evil, particularly when traveling in a new area and you realize you forgot something; they are there with 100k sq. ft of commie made trinkets singing their siren song. Wife and I decided to quit Amazon about a year ago, similar reasons to those mentioned above. Definitely swimming against the tide, but I do what I can, when I can.

It would be nice if there were more affordable, quality products made in the USA. I buy when it makes sense, but it is really impossible to do for everything. Maybe when someone manufactures a competitive smartphone in the US my mind will change.

Hank, this is a bit off topic, but I'm also a Lowa fan. Many of their boots can be factory rebuilt for $125.

Thanks T bone! That is great news!. They even show my Caminos after a make over. Cool. I was going to do deep research on Lowas today.
Seems almost wrong to me to work in them. The soles are still like new due to no concrete walking these days,but the tops are hurting.

I was pleased to see Danner heard me bitch...lol and they are making those boots again. I do need some real work boots for chainsawing and such.

Was also going to pull out the Kenetrek packs and look at sending them in for a new set of soles & reconditioning. 16 years on them and they did get used on sidewalks.

Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, leupold binos (bx1,2) leupold spotters (sx2,4) are all made in China.
Yes, but US companies. There is virtually nothing made in US that doesn’t have foreign parts or supplies involved in it. I will do all I can to only buy US but almost impossible for 100% US made without foreign involvement. However some European companies just make better stuff than we do.

It doesn't matter what you buy, or where you buy it. You and I are only a tiny tiny percent of purchases, and what we buy makes no difference. 40 years ago we decided (we as a country) that we wanted corporations to make lots of profit, and we allowed them to move factories offshore. We were told they would make socks, and we'd sell them computers. Well it didn't work out, except that corporations did make lots of money.

Change the laws. Make socks here. Wool socks. Stuff will cost more. So what. Most clothing is so cheap people throw it away without wearing it, they just enjoy shopping for it.

End NAFTA.

Slap an import tax on everything. Especially everything made by an American company overseas. No more selling farmlands to foreigners, or other real estate, or companies, or mines.

Vote, and don't be afraid to vote for someone based on how they stand on policy, not what party they are in. I voted contrary to my liberal commy tendencies and it didn't hurt at all, felt good.

I have no kids in this fight. Just kin. And wish no one lives a solid factory life if that is what they wish. Nor hungry.
I may be an old dummie but we were booming when I was younger. A factory job raised families and paid for homes my family built. No one can afford a home now.

Glad I'm in the old west where your dead if you don't have it figured out and not rich. Still.
I think people really forget how much money manufacturing brings into a community. The direct impact of the factory jobs is one thing. Manufacturing companies spend a lot of money to keep their plants going. If a plant employs 500 people directly, it probably indirectly employs another 500 through contractors and vendors. You don't necessarily need to work the factory job to benefit from it.

It was mentioned above to use local shops and I agree. I do my best to spend my money locally, but restaurant and local shop employees tend to struggle financially. Factory jobs may not be glorious but their employees can afford to buy a home and feed their family. They can spend money at local shops and restaurants. They probably also have good health insurance and retirement plans.

God bless you Hank, I support you in doing so, but must confess I am guilty of not doing so.

I loved a certain car that was made in Italy, but the new Corvette Z06 could bring me back to America ---and --I noticed a discussion about boots on this thread. And, ---Nobody makes thigh high heels "boots" for women better than Italy ;)

I cannot tell folks how to run a business,but I will not buy crap made overseas anymore. Everything is made elsewhere.
No more crap Wranglers or Levis. No more crap boots,socks or anything if I can help it.
Screw the Chinese! The Mexican factory with American tax write offs.

I have no problem buying foreign if it is quality goods,with quality workers.Like Lowa boots. Zeiss,Leica...

But this has just gotten out of hand. For the buck,the profit.They have sold their soles...........lol

I just ordered some American Made Jeans ( backoredered) and might try a shirt or t, maybe order more,if I could talk to a human there. They e mail....

Looked at Origin or Jocko jeans ,but $124 for jeans? and you cannot talk to anyone,e mail.

Might try some of the few boots still made here,but only a few styles and no hunting hikers really.
I sure like my Lowa's now....2 years every day wear and the rand is wearing some. My Lowa hunt boots hardy get worn.

Any one else fed up?
Where was the phone or computer made which you used to type this post?

Where are thise chips for your truck made?

Its a global economy.

Good luck.

I try and shop small and local whenever possible and avoid the big boxes unless absolutely necessary.

We have some incredible independent businesses around here, from breweries to coffee shops, restaurants and a local nursery/feed store. I support them every chance we get.

On the flip side, Apple, Google, Cisco, Facebook etc. make up a massive portion of our patient base in our clinic and I'm grateful they maintain a strong workforce here.

God bless you Hank, I support you in doing so, but must confess I am guilty of not doing so.

I loved a certain car that was made in Italy, but the new Corvette Z06 could bring me back to America ---and --I noticed a discussion about boots on this thread. And, ---Nobody makes thigh high heels "boots" for women better than Italy ;)
IDK... the woman in our family might disagree. They all own a pair or six of Frye's

I'm feeling the load of the guilt too Europe!

Mine is that Swedish custom built 338 Lapua I got to shoot once...and I could really do a commercial for Toyota Landcruiser right, here in Pie Town.

My guilt over my glass maker choices is water off my back.

It doesn't matter what you buy, or where you buy it. You and I are only a tiny tiny percent of purchases, and what we buy makes no difference. 40 years ago we decided (we as a country) that we wanted corporations to make lots of profit, and we allowed them to move factories offshore. We were told they would make socks, and we'd sell them computers. Well it didn't work out, except that corporations did make lots of money.

Change the laws. Make socks here. Wool socks. Stuff will cost more. So what. Most clothing is so cheap people throw it away without wearing it, they just enjoy shopping for it.

End NAFTA.

Slap an import tax on everything. Especially everything made by an American company overseas. No more selling farmlands to foreigners, or other real estate, or companies, or mines.

Vote, and don't be afraid to vote for someone based on how they stand on policy, not what party they are in. I voted contrary to my liberal commy tendencies and it didn't hurt at all, felt good.

⬇️
I think we we need to be wary of seemingly simple solutions to very complex problems.

Oil is kinda a good example.

"Oil should be cheap, price of gas low"
- Producers go out of business, one of the largest industries in the country lays off tons of people, but consumers get cheap gas.

"Oil should be expensive, price of gas high"
-Producers make money, but a lot of consumers are hurt esp middleclass/lower class.

What's more important 100 peoples jobs or 10,000 people paying 30% more for something?

"NAFTA displays the classic free-trade quandary: Diffuse benefits with concentrated costs. While the economy as a whole may have seen a slight boost, certain sectors and communities experienced profound disruption. A town in the Southeast loses hundreds of jobs when a textile mill closes, but hundreds of thousands of people find their clothes marginally cheaper. Depending on how you quantify it, the overall economic gain is probably greater but barely perceptible at the individual level; the overall economic loss is small in the grand scheme of things, but devastating for those it affects directly."

Where was the phone or computer made which you used to type this post?

Where are thise chips for your truck made?

Its a global economy.

Good luck.
They were made here a few years ago.
I am sure the puters I learned to use late in life were made here once,same with the 1st Motorola cell.
My Tacoma was made in Atlanta in '98.

My choice is not much these days... and this is a cheap Lenovo and the Samsung sits at home most of the time. NM is a 3rd world country still and the 1st place settled by us interloper conquerers. Intel sits in it's birthplace dying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back