Bundy next chapter

In light of the discussions our society is having on topics of race, I wonder what would have happened at Malhuer if a group of armed black or brown folks had forcibly taken over a large piece of Federal property for many weeks. Would law enforcement and elected officials have been so patient, granting them meetings and accommodating many of their wishes, eventually letting them turn themselves in? If black or brown folks had done that and assuming they survived such a stand off, would they get a jury of their peers, all of the same color and similar background, resulting in acquittal of all charges?

If a group of black or brown people took over the beneficial use of a large mass of rural Federal property, disregarding the court orders to cease and being assessed over $1 million in fines, what would folks say if a group of armed black or brown supporters, including some state legislators, showed up armed to the teeth to prevent such squatter from being forced from that Federal property? If that old dude was black or brown would his cattle still be grazing on said Federal property and his fines remain unpaid? If said squatter was black or brown, would the armed white dudes threaten local/state law enforcement, such that the local sheriff would say, "He's not hurting anyone, best to let him be."

Given the kid glove treatment and tacit legislative support received by the entire Bundy family, from Cliven to Ammon, for their abuses of the law, combined with their promises to take violence if pushed or threatened, then comparing that treatment to how black and brown people are treated for far lesser violations, I struggle to see that me being white is a disadvantage under the way our laws are enforced and the judgment our society makes about the actions of people with different skin tones.

EDIT: If it was up to me, Ammon and Cliven would be so far back in a Federal pen, the darkness would require that you pipe light to them. I hope someone in our law enforcement and judicial branches someday decide that these habitual offenders deserve some administration of justice.

In light of the discussions our society is having on topics of race, I wonder what would have happened at Malhuer if a group of armed black or brown folks had forcibly taken over a large piece of Federal property for many weeks. Would law enforcement and elected officials have been so patient, granting them meetings and accommodating many of their wishes, eventually letting them turn themselves in? If black or brown folks had done that and assuming they survived such a stand off, would they get a jury of their peers, all of the same color and similar background, resulting in acquittal of all charges?

If a group of black or brown people took over the beneficial use of a large mass of rural Federal property, disregarding the court orders to cease and being assessed over $1 million in fines, what would folks say if a group of armed black or brown supporters, including some state legislators, showed up armed to the teeth to prevent such squatter from being forced from that Federal property? If that old dude was black or brown would his cattle still be grazing on said Federal property and his fines remain unpaid? If said squatter was black or brown, would the armed white dudes threaten local/state law enforcement, such that the local sheriff would say, "He's not hurting anyone, best to let him be."

Given the kid glove treatment and tacit legislative support received by the entire Bundy family, from Cliven to Ammon, for their abuses of the law, combined with their promises to take violence if pushed or threatened, then comparing that treatment to how black and brown people are treated for far lesser violations, I struggle to see that me being white is a disadvantage under the way our laws are enforced and the judgment our society makes about the actions of people with different skin tones.

EDIT: If it was up to me, Ammon and Cliven would be so far back in a Federal pen, the darkness would require that you pipe light to them. I hope someone in our law enforcement and judicial branches someday decide that these habitual offenders deserve some administration of justice.
This is all I could think of today, as I read about the armed protestors at the state house in Idaho. What must it be like for an African American to read about a group of armed white dudes, who shove the state police out of the way to get into an in-session state house, break a window, ignore the rules on social distancing and the only consequence is that the lawmakers within change the rules for them. No police retaliation because they don't want to 'escalate the situation.' It must feel terribly, terribly unfair.

This is all I could think of today, as I read about the armed protestors at the state house in Idaho. What must it be like for an African American to read about a group of armed white dudes, who shove the state police out of the way to get into an in-session state house, break a window, ignore the rules on social distancing and the only consequence is that the lawmakers within change the rules for them. No police retaliation because they don't want to 'escalate the situation.' It must feel terribly, terribly unfair.
Come on, it was just a little "scuffle with state police". /s No charges, can't believe my eyes.

@Big Fin if we replace the name Bundy with Sharpton I bet it would a very similar story. I’m not so sure it is the color as it is that our society has gone soft in the age of cell phone cameras and internet warriors. Bundy has a following and the press backlash has people treating him him way nicer than he deserves. The same way rioting, burning down business, and general violence has recently gone unpunished. Criminals of every color have been placed on pedestals lately, much to disgust of the average law abiding citizen.

@Big Fin if we replace the name Bundy with Sharpton I bet it would a very similar story. I’m not so sure it is the color as it is that our society has gone soft in the age of cell phone cameras and internet warriors. Bundy has a following and the press backlash has people treating him him way nicer than he deserves. The same way rioting, burning down business, and general violence has recently gone unpunished. Criminals of every color have been placed on pedestals lately, much to disgust of the average law abiding citizen.
You're a brave man. And yes, of course you are correct. Burning, looting, assaulting whomever you wish outright encouraged so Bundy's actions seem quite mild, and would be embraced as "peaceful protest" if he were a different color.

Imagine how much of their grazing fees or how big a ranch of their own they could have bought to graze on with all the money they have spent on legal fees...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back