MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bullet selection for 6.5 cm

I’m a huge fan of Accubonds (NABs). They do have lead (I worried about that at one time but got over it), but seem to be the best of both worlds in terms of on-game performance. They give excellent expansion and shock value, while also providing complete pass through penetration on almost every shot. I’ve used them for 40+ WT kills in 30-06 and 270, and only 2 of them have run from where they were shot, but they leave impressive blood trails due to the exit wound.

The only exception to this was a doe that I shot at around 160yd with my 30-06 using a 180gr Accubond. She did not drop immediately, and I never found an exit wound (I used the gutless method of quartering, and packed her back to the boat for close to a mile on my back). She ran about 60yd and piled up just inside of the edge of a hardwood thicket.

I won’t call it a failure, but it was the only time that I have shot an animal with an NAB that it did not give expected performance of DRT and/or complete penetration. I also believe that any bullet can have an outlier, as they are a mass-produced expendable product that is being asked to perform at extreme ballistic conditions at widely varying environmental conditions and at impact conditions that are never identical or controllable. Lots and lots of variables, so don’t use one experience as a judge of a bullet’s ability to perform.

The gmx bullet was designed for maximum penetration. It’s best used on large tough animals (i.e. elk). The superformance sst is what you want to shoot for deer. Almost exact same ballistics, but incredibly rapid expansion. Perfect for deer. I have both the gmx and sst for my 7mm-08 and they shoot virtually identically. I use the sst for deer and will be giving the gmx a shot for elk this year.

I’ve noticed the 6.5creed is one of the most forgiving rifles I’ve owned when it comes to ammo (I own 6mm rem, 7mm rem mag, 30-06, 300WM). It shoots damn near everything well (except Hornady Superformance). Best groups I’ve got were the 135g Berger Hybrids. Next best groups were 129g Hornady American Whitetail.

Barnes LRX all the way. I have had scirocco and accubonds disintegrate on antelope and deer at medium ranges, so no more bonded lead bullets for me.

You know, at the ranges being discussed, why not just a good old Core Lokt, Silvertip or Partition? Don't need super premium bullets at that range. Have lots of experience with .260 Remington, basically same round, and Partitions are deadly on WT and mulies from 100-300 yards. Heart/lung shots.

You know, at the ranges being discussed, why not just a good old Core Lokt, Silvertip or Partition? Don't need super premium bullets at that range. Have lots of experience with .260 Remington, basically same round, and Partitions are deadly on WT and mulies from 100-300 yards. Heart/lung shots.

I agree.

Sometimes a guy just needs to keep it basic. A Sierra Gameking or Pro-hunter will work great too. Or even a Speer Hot-Cor or Grand Slam. They have been around for a long time and have killed a lot of critters. With good shot placement and responsible hunting, you can't beat the results. :unsure:

Core Lokt.... I guess you could always use a flintlock.

Those things are absolutely garbage.

Those things are absolutely garbage.
Hmmm. I wish I would have had the internet back when I was killing elk every year with the 180 grain Core-Lokt in my .06. I had no idea they were garbage. Could have saved a bunch of elk lives. Thanks wllm. mtmuley

Hmmm. I wish I would have had the internet back when I was killing elk every year with the 180 grain Core-Lokt in my .06. I had no idea they were garbage. Could have saved a bunch of elk lives. Thanks wllm. mtmuley
I’ve just experience horrific accuracy.

I shoot mainly 120 etips now out of my .264, I also have a couple boxes of 140-A-frames, and some partitions.

My scope adjustment when I switch from each is pretty minimal inches between type.

I was given a couple boxes of core-lokts and bought some have been using them for the brass. I shot a couple from a box from maybe 1970 and some I bought last fall box looked new. With both boxes I’d shoot one and it’d be barely on paper upper right corner, next shot, not touching the scope would be bottom left.

My FIL shot same results... I average between 9 and 16 MOA depending on the box.

Now I just pull them.

Back in my Core-Lokt days, a paper plate at 100 was good, because I never shot an elk much further away than that. My fault for outgrowing the cartridge and bullet. Simpler times. mtmuley

Back in my Core-Lokt days, a paper plate at 100 was good, because I never shot an elk much further away than that. My fault for outgrowing the cartridge and bullet. Simpler times. mtmuley

That RUM has changed you...

Nothing wrong with getting up on a critter and calling it hunting.

I have usually have had pretty good accuracy with these types of bullets at 100 yrds. 160 grn. Sierra Gamekings SPBT group well under an inch in my 7mm STW. And Speer 175 Grandslams shoots a 6 shot groups withing 1 inch. Pretty nice for a hunting setup. I'm no expert and not a trophy hunter, but, I have killed a lot of animals with this set up. I have never shot past 500 yards, but I am confident that if I do my part, the bullet will too.

Yeah I live on the East coast, a lot of close shots and it just zipped right through, I'm going to try the gmx again this season cause I have half a box left but will be switching.
Had the same problem with the hornady black 140 grains, they passed through and didn’t even slow down. Put two good shots on a buck and they left a marginal blood trail and the deer ran close to 200 yards and didn’t even act hurt.

I’ve noticed the 6.5creed is one of the most forgiving rifles I’ve owned when it comes to ammo (I own 6mm rem, 7mm rem mag, 30-06, 300WM). It shoots damn near everything well (except Hornady Superformance). Best groups I’ve got were the 135g Berger Hybrids. Next best groups were 129g Hornady American Whitetail.
When my Compass was new it shot 129 American whitetail loads to 5/8 MOA. The 120 GMX Superformance were less accurate. Now it will shoot 1/2 MOA with both. I really think the GMX and Etips need a little bit of copper build up to lubricate the barrel.

Yeah I live on the East coast, a lot of close shots and it just zipped right through, I'm going to try the gmx again this season cause I have half a box left but will be switching.
I would think the extra speed would make it expand faster. I shot whitetail doe @ 180 yds with one last Saturday. No lungs left and lots of blood trail even though short tracking her. 2 1/2" exit hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back