Bullet selection for 6.5 cm

I hear good things about the Hornady 147 M. I know they’re super accurate as I’ve shot them to 600 without issues. I’ve heard the kill well too

I hear good things about the Hornady 147 M. I know they’re super accurate as I’ve shot them to 600 without issues. I’ve heard the kill well too
I have killed a bunch of deer and a couple antelope with them out to past 400 yards. They are extremely accurate and smuck deer just fine-near, or far. They are not cheap, though, and overall, for deer, I would always recommend the 129 Interlock. You do not need the high bc bullets for 100-yard shots. Do not try to overthink this. Partitions and Accubombs are fine, too, but also fairly pricey. They perform at fast and moderate velocities.

I have killed a bunch of deer and a couple antelope with them out to past 400 yards. They are extremely accurate and smuck deer just fine-near, or far. They are not cheap, though, and overall, for deer, I would always recommend the 129 Interlock. You do not need the high bc bullets for 100-yard shots. Do not try to overthink this. Partitions and Accubombs are fine, too, but also fairly pricey. They perform at fast and moderate velocities.
Yeah my hunting spot i have this coming season has 300 yd shots but even then out of 6.5 and 270 almost any good bullet will work. Probably going to try some accubonds and see how they group for me.

I’m on the east coast as well,and my 6.5 has killed a lot of Whitetails from 50 to 250 and all I use is the 143 ELD-X. Never have had a problem preformance

I just snagged a few boxes of 143 ELD-X to dial in the new 6.5 rifle with.

Awhile back I heard bad things about the eld-x how they lacked penetration, but recently I've only seen positives I might try them along with the accubonds

Hammer makes a great bullet selection for the 6.5 CM. I use the 124 grain Hammer Hunters.

Shoot high shoulder with that GMX and he will be laying right where you shot him. If you’re going to shoot a whitetail in the lungs use a faster expanding bullet.

I've been shooting that 143gr ELD-X and get good accuracy out of my Tikka. Haven't put one through an animal yet, but I trust Hornady bullets enough to assume it'll do the trick.

Yeah I live on the East coast, a lot of close shots and it just zipped right through, I'm going to try the gmx again this season cause I have half a box left but will be switching.
For in close, think heavier, not lighter. Get some 156 Oryx( either the Lapua or the Woodleigh) or 160 Hornady round nose. They will technically be too long for your twist rate but do stabilize well enough in 1-8 or 1-9 rifles for 100 yard shooting. These break bones. Good for quick shooting.

Or go to a frag grenade like the Sierra 140 SPBT (#1730) I have made a number of Dead Right There kills with these in both 6.5x 55 and 264 WM. They kill deer.
These penetrate and destroy lungs. They do not do well if they hit bone. Good for stand hunting when you can wait for the right broadside.
They will mess up a lot meat if you hit a shoulder.

Hello all,

I am trying to find a nice bullet for my 6.5 Creedmoor I shot a deer with the hornady superformance with 120 gr GMX and was not impressed. Right now I'm looking at federal fusion, or swift scirroco, i have used hornady interlock with great success in 270 win. Any ideas and why will be helpful.

The Interlock is a good bullet, I load the 140s in my CM.
I’ve had great performance with Fusion also. Probably the most accurate factory ammo I have is the Federals in .243 and .30-06.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back