Bullet Selection for .270

All things being equal, which .270 Win bullet would you prefer for elk?

• 150 gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • 130 gr Barnes TSX

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • 130 gr Federal Trophy Copper

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

jakenbake

Trying to figure out bullet selection for my .270 Win. I know there are some limitations to the round as an elk cartridge, but I don't have access to a range over 300 yards so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot much past that anyway. Assume the bullets are equally accurate out of the rifle, all shots would be under 300 yards and either broadside or slightly quartering away, and leaving aside any concern one might have of lead vs non-lead. Why these 3? They're what I have and I don't honestly feel like taking time off work to wait at the Walmart loading dock.

Accubonds are hard to beat, if yours will shoot the 150’s that’s the route I’d go

No experience with Federal Trophy copper. Wouldn't hesitate to use either an Accubond or Barnes TSX, as I've killed elk with both.

I have seen many, many elk taken cleanly with a 150 grain Nosler Partition. The AccuBond give similar results.

From personal experience I do not like the TSX is calibers under .308. If you chose Barnes, the TTSX seems to open much more reliably.

It’s been awhile since I took the 270 on a elk hunt. Did use the accubonds. Didn’t shoot an elk that trip but did shoot a nice muley. It was devastating. Clean kill.

Winchester Super-X Powerpoints for whatever reason shoot the best out of my .270. Killed a half dozen elk with them and never an issue.

Probably either of the first 2. I didn't vote because I'd use a 150gn Accubond or 130gn TTSX with equal confidence.

I've actually been seeing some 150gn ABs in stores lately.

Winchester Super-X Powerpoints for whatever reason shoot the best out of my .270. Killed a half dozen elk with them and never an issue.
These shoot great out of my rifle too. I have had significant fragmentation on two elk that caused me to switch to bonded or mono bullets. Two elk both shot in the shoulder at short distances. It’s like they exploded and didn’t get any penetration into the cavity. Follow up shots were better. Obviously all things being equal I wish the shot was 4-6 inches further back.

You'd be fine out to 400 with any of those. 500 with the accubond. Federal has a Trophy Bonded Tipped in 140gr too if you can find it. My first few seasons out west were with a .270 and I became very familiar with it through handloading. Never did take an elk with the .270, but I took a few mule deer with the Accubonds and 130TTSX's. I did shoot an Elk with my 300WSM last season. It was loaded with a 180gr Accubond and it did everything I asked of it.

My family has killed a bunch of elk with 270s in 130s, 140s and 150s. I didn’t see any difference in performance from the three. We have moved to 140s right now as the 130s were making meat bloodshot. Accubonds are our bullet.

I've never shot a thing with them, but I remember them being pretty accurate in a 300WM I used to have. The last time I bought some it was for a .308 and the QC seemed awful. You could take the rounds out and stand them side by side and easily see the bullets were all different seating depths. Maybe I just had box or something, but I never bought any more. I do hear good things about their performance on game, though.

Have used both accubond and the barnes out of .270 on multiple elk. Both bullets performed well

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back