Bullet Deformation

You have other issues I bet. My RUM mashes the tips of Accubonds that are in the magazine. I don't see the drastic change in impact you describe. Ever put the calipers to one that is flattened? You'll have to measure off the ogive, but that may tell a story. mtmuley

I'd back-off on your powder charge some. How accurate is your powder scale? I had an over charge problem with a scale that was off some 5+ gr. I have a new RCBS now and no more overcharges, I also stay well under Max loads. A couple of times that bolt handle needed help to open.

Uh, what??

Got a better explanation? The same thing happened with my buddy's 338, we shortened his O.A.L and the problem went away. You can still see where they move forward and touch but the shorter length is enough of a buffer it doesn't smash the tip of the bullet.

A deformation of the tip is not going to cause a 6" change in POI at 100 yards. Simple fact there. As others have stated, there is something else going on. My guess is that it's seating the bullets deeper, although 6" still seems like a heck of a lot.

Try some new brass. Also, check each bullet before you shoot it and try to isolate or eliminate issues.

I've seen the tips get flattened in the magazine a lot. I shoot ballistic tips because of that reason. I don't think the amount of flattening that comes from rifle recoil will make your groups off by 6" either.

I don't go by what the manufacturer says for O.C.L. Use a gauge a and find where the lands of the rifle are at. I seat my bullets fairly close to those lands. Some guns farther away some closer.

My 7mm has been doing this since I bought it 20 years ago, though POI doesn't change that much. Particularly bad with hot polymer tips, not so bad with the Nosler partitions I shoot now.

Got a better explanation? The same thing happened with my buddy's 338, we shortened his O.A.L and the problem went away. You can still see where they move forward and touch but the shorter length is enough of a buffer it doesn't smash the tip of the bullet.

Already did. Read my previous posts.

I'm sure this will seem dumb to some of you but bear with me. In my .270 I shoot a load pushing a 130 gr. Gameking at 3100 or a little more. Not exactly a rocket but if I shoot twice in a row the tips of the bullets in the magazine will get flatened a little. Its significant enough that it will change point of aim by over 6 inches. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? The spring in the mag seems fine. Would some sort of polymer tip help? I would rather not switch bullets as well as the gun shoots. Thanks for any help.

Check out the "ballistic tip" type bullets. The polymer tips are designed to prevent that exact thing from happening.

It is hard to measure to see if the bullet is seated deeper after the tips get dinged up. With the tip now being flatter it automatically measures shorter. I think I may make a mark on a bullet and see if thats what is also going on. If the bullet is getting bumped back deeper the mark will move. A combination of things makes sense.

I guess the bottom line is, I can back off the load which I don't want to do because it shoots well, I can try polymer tips but they still get messed up, I can just deal with it, or I can get an extended box to leave more room. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

It is hard to measure to see if the bullet is seated deeper after the tips get dinged up. With the tip now being flatter it automatically measures shorter. I think I may make a mark on a bullet and see if thats what is also going on. If the bullet is getting bumped back deeper the mark will move. A combination of things makes sense.

I guess the bottom line is, I can back off the load which I don't want to do because it shoots well, I can try polymer tips but they still get messed up, I can just deal with it, or I can get an extended box to leave more room. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Unless I missed something here, I think you may mistakenly be getting drawn into this conclusion. I don't see how the huge inaccuracy you are talking about could be cause by deformed tips, or even the change in pressure that could be caused by the bullets getting seated deeper. 6" is a huge margin at 100yds. To me this sounds like you either have a bad load for your rifle, or you have an issue with your scope or mounts as someone else mentioned.

It sounds to me like something else is going on. Try shooting some factory ammo out of it and see if you are still having the accuracy issues.

You're making this harder than it really is.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-49-damaged-bullet-accuracy-and-the-box-o-truth/

Flattened bullet tips will drastically change your group size. if they are hitting hard enough to smash the tip bad they are hitting hard enough to change the seating depth. I see where your already under the recommended OAL so throw out my earlier statement my buddys 338 we loaded for .01 off the lands and ended up going to .03 and that helped his. He was also shooting a poly tipped bullet.

If the gun shoots lights out when he shoots single shot and then he has flyers and bad groups when he cycles through the mag box. Its the ammo and the deformation to the tip of your bullet you guys are sending him on a wild goose chase looking for answers in loose bolts.

The Bullet you are using does have a soft lead point so a polymer tip out of an SST, A-max, TTSX, or a ballistic tip may be less effected by this. I would try putting a new spring in that BDL.

He isn't smashing them with a hammer.

Jaysus, people make this stuff too hard..

Check action screws, mounts, etc.
Single load some factory ammo for a group.
Load a mag full of factory ammo, and shoot for group.

Note results.

If you single load them do they group well?

The gun shoots consistently at .65, the only time it gets funcky is if I try one of the deformed shells. I am having absolutely no other problems except for when I try a dedormed bullet. If I shoot three good shells, then one bad one, and then three more good ones, the only one that you can't darn near cover with a quarter is the one that is deformed. I can't beleive it is a scope issue or mount issue. If it was, the flyers would happen on other rounds than the deformed bullets, right? Am I missing something? The only time I have an issue is if I happen to shoot a couple times in a row. The bottom bullets in the mag are deformed and when I have checked they are often around 6 inches off from where the non deformed bullets group.

The gun shoots consistently at .65, the only time it gets funcky is if I try one of the deformed shells. I am having absolutely no other problems except for when I try a dedormed bullet. If I shoot three good shells, then one bad one, and then three more good ones, the only one that you can't darn near cover with a quarter is the one that is deformed. I can't beleive it is a scope issue or mount issue. If it was, the flyers would happen on other rounds than the deformed bullets, right? Am I missing something? The only time I have an issue is if I happen to shoot a couple times in a row. The bottom bullets in the mag are deformed and when I have checked they are often around 6 inches off from where the non deformed bullets group.

Are you crimping the necks?

He isn't smashing them with a hammer.

Jaysus, people make this stuff too hard..

Check action screws, mounts, etc.
Single load some factory ammo for a group.
Load a mag full of factory ammo, and shoot for group.

Note results.

its pretty obvious theres not a loose bolt but hell VA grab your self a box of remington core-lokts just to see how bad the the deformed bullet shoots

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back