Budget Spotting Scope Advice

ZackW

Hi everyone
I am looking at options and need some advice on picking up a new spotting scope. Let me start by stating that I am a full time college student and simply don't have the budget for a high-end scope. Additionally, I live in Wisconsin and only make it out west every couple of years. I currently carry a pair of Nikon 8x36's around my neck, and was thinking that a scope would give me a little more reach when out west for elk, mulies, etc. I do most of my hunting out of my backpack and hike in to get away from the crowds, so size and weight are a consideration.

So these are the scopes that I am considering:
Vortex diamondback 20-60x60 - $300 (military discount)
Celestron Regal M2 65ED 16-48x65 - $349 (military discount)
Vanguard Endeavor HD 15-45x65 - $379 (Amazon)
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 15-45x60 - $392 (Amazon)

Those are the options that I'm looking at. I guess another option could be to skip the scope and get a set of 12x or 15x bino's that I could use with the tripod. Since I don't get out west that often, I'm usually not too picky with the bucks/bulls I shoot, and I'm not counting growth rings or counting points. I just want something that will get me more range than my 8x's. I welcome any questions, comments, or concerns.

I do. I usually keep my binos in an S4 lockdown harness, but when I get up on a glassing point, I put them on the tripod.

I've heard a lot of good things about Theron Optics, available from Predator Optics (Schmalts on this forum), though I have no personal experience with them. I have bought a couple items from Predator Optics and have had not been disappointed - good quick service and excellent pricing.. I am sure someone who has Theron will chime in.
If you only hunt out west every couple years, you may be better served upgrading binos as they will serve you well anywhere. A good pair of 10x42's may be more versatile. Just my 2cents.

IMO you might be better off to invest in good binos in the 8x42 or 10x50 range than to spend $300 on a low end spotter.

If you are looking for reviews or comparisons look to birding sites as they will discuss glass, coatings, eye pieces, etc and give you a better idea than hunters who have little knowledge on things like coatings or prism types. More often than not hunters will just say one brand over another based on their perception. Birders will line them up and discuss subtle differences in things like warmness of color, how the clarity is as the edges, eye cups, etc... Most hunters have no idea what kind of prisms their binoculars even have.

That being said of those scopes you mentioned the Regal is interesting as I believe it takes standard 1.25" eye pieces which gives you lots of options down the road. Most hunting scopes are made so you can't use other brands of eye pieces. Not a popular scope with hunters but gets good reviews from other groups who are much more knowledgeable on optics.

Buy the best binoculars you can afford- Maven C series would be right in the $300 range. Another great deal on binos right now is the Bushnell legend M 8x42. It gets good reviews in the $300 range and is being discontinued and can be found for about $170.

If you are not counting points and judging size, like you said, I would update your bino's to the best 10 by 42's you can afford. With those and a tripod you should be able to see antlers. In that price range I would recommend the Maven C series. Some reviews online say that they are better than Vortex Razors. I have been able to view the Maven C series, Vortex Razors, and Vortex Vipers in low light conditions and it wasn't even close. The Maven's stood out as the best. Just my experience. Good luck in finding what you need!

I would also say that you are probably better off upgrading your binos instead of buying a cheap spotting scope. Especially if your goal is to find animals, not figure out whether they are a 6x6 or 5x5.

There are some good quality binos in the price range you are looking at for scopes and you would be using the binos WAY more than a cheap spotting scope.

The more I look into it, I think you all may be right, that glassing with a higher power set of binos may be the best option. 10x42, 10x50, or continue using the 8x36's in the harness and get a set of 12x50's for glassing?

I was in a similar situation about 10 years ago and couldn't figure our what I wanted to do. I felt like I found the best of both worlds with Leupold switch power binos (10/17x42 of 7/12x32). I have no idea why these haven't been more popular. They are gold ring quality glass with the ability to quickly jump to a higher power when needed. I have found them invaluable when hunting Utah general season bulls. While others are trying to decide if an elk has antlers or not I have already made a decision and moved. I picked mine (10/17x42 model) up off ebay for $500. I just looked and on ebay and there are a couple of 7/12x32 models listed but they want a little more. If you look around and wait for a bit I'm sure a pair will pop up.

Years later I finally picked up a spotter and use it more and more each year, but the switch powers are still very helpful.

Last edited:
10x42, 10x50, or continue using the 8x36's in the harness and get a set of 12x50's for glassing?

Tough call, and really it's a personal preference thing. Some guys like running smaller binos on their chest (32s or 36s like yours) and a larger set of 50s or 56s for tripod glassing. Some guys prefer just to run a pair of 10x42s or 12x50s as an all-arounder. Kind of just depends on how you want to do it. I personally prefer only one set of binos and 10x42s are a good choice, though 12x50s are great all around too.

If I were in your position in that price range I would buy a pair of 10x42 Maven C.1s.

If you are hell bent on a spotting scope, find a used Nikon ED 50MM that should be near the top end of the prices above. I have one and it is great for confirming what your 10x bino's indicated, but keep in mind that "glassing" does not exist behind a spotting scope. It will give you a headache in a short amount of time, even the super expensive European glass... You glass behind bino's and confirm what you saw in the bino's with the spotter IMO.

I personally spend most of my time behind my 10x bino's on a tripod. I also picked up a pair of 15x bino's to try in AZ later this year but on backpack hunts the 10x will be the primary with the 1 pound ED50mm as the backup.

The more I look into it, I think you all may be right, that glassing with a higher power set of binos may be the best option. 10x42, 10x50, or continue using the 8x36's in the harness and get a set of 12x50's for glassing?

I'd lose the 8x36's and just run the 8x42's or 10x50's as your primary binocular in this situation. Not that much heavier and would be a shame to have your best glass in the pack much of the time and be using the other Nikons most of the time. Maybe sell them and add to your budget or just use them as the pair you leave in the truck all the time. Going from the 8x36's to a quality 8x42/10x50 will be like turning on a light when you look through them at dusk.

If you are hell bent on a spotting scope, find a used Nikon ED 50MM that should be near the top end of the prices above. I have one and it is great for confirming what your 10x bino's indicated, but keep in mind that "glassing" does not exist behind a spotting scope. It will give you a headache in a short amount of time, even the super expensive European glass... You glass behind bino's and confirm what you saw in the bino's with the spotter IMO.

I personally spend most of my time behind my 10x bino's on a tripod. I also picked up a pair of 15x bino's to try in AZ later this year but on backpack hunts the 10x will be the primary with the 1 pound ED50mm as the backup.

I'm also a big fan of the ED50. I purchased at 60MM gold ring Leupold last year and thought I would never look back to the little Nikon. I have been surprised how much I still grab it when backpacking. Great glass and weight for the price. When I started looking at them several years ago they were really hard to find, but the costs have come down and they are becoming more and more common.

Cabela's sells a Leupold spotting scope kit in your price range.I have it and it works well for me. I mainly use it at the range.It's the SX-1Ventana 2 15-45x60.

Okay, I’ve decided to get a new pair of binos rather than a low-end spotter. I can get a set of Bushnell engage binos for just over $200 (military discount), and they offer them in 10x50 and 12x50. Would this be better than the Maven c1’s? The Bushnells use ed glass and have good reviews, but everyone seems to absolutely love their Mavens, despite only being offered in 42mm. Any thoughts?

Out west I think a pair of 10x40 is a great all around. But your 8x36s should be fine.

I wonder if a 12x will actually give you what you’re looking for. There is a big difference between 12x and 15-45x spotters. I’d take a good pair of 12s over a crappy spotter any day.

You might also consider Vortex Vulture HD 15x. They can be had for $350 military. I’ve never used them personally but they would give you twice the reach of the Nikons. They get good reviews. And you can always sell them used for not much loss when you’re ready to upgrade.

I just suggest it for some real difference between what you have and what you want.

Otherwise, I’d definitely suggest larger optics on 12s. 50mm makes a big difference. The amount of light is proportional to the area of the optic. So 50mm is actually 1.56x larger (more light) than 40mm

Just my thoughts. Best luck

Just my two cents, but having hunted with a pair of 12x they can be pretty difficult to keep steady if not on a tripod. If you are going to keep them on your chest for constantly checking in front of you then I would recommend 10s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back