Looking for first spotting scope

NEOHhunter23

I am currently in the market for a spotting scope and I am looking for some opinions/experiences specifically with some Leupold scopes. I have focused in on the Leupold SX-2 and SX-4 series. Price range $400-800. I have never owned a spotting scope and I plan to use it during hunting trips out west. I will be doing backpack day hunts and I am not planning any deep back county hunts at this point so weight may not be a major issue.

Any major differences between the SX-2 and SX-4 other than glass quality?

The SX-4 series has models with two different magnification ranges (15-45x and 20-60x). Anyone have the lower range model and wish they had the higher range model? Or vice versa?

Thank you!

If weight is not an issue go with a bigger objective, but my fear is you will end up leaving it behind more often. PM me for some options and prices.

Thank you all for the replies! I am seeing a couple common themes here:

1. @schmalts is the man. Sir, I will send you a PM.
2. Go for bigger objective/ higher quality glass.

I am still a little worried about weight if I am taking the scope with me in a backpack. I will compare the weights on the SX-4 models.

I am still a little worried about weight if I am taking the scope with me in a backpack. I will compare the weights on the SX-4 models.
Weight can be argued: how much walking will good glass save on your legs? I will also add i dont ever pack anything other my big kowa IF i am taking a spotter the little ones can only perform at fractions of the big boys but you also need a appropiate tripod then so weight adds fast. The are situations where spotters are warnted but archery anything i aint taking out other than next to truck, so pack when needed and enjoy.

If weight is not an issue go with a bigger objective, but my fear is you will end up leaving it behind more often. PM me for some options and prices.
I’m in the exact same boat, would love your short list sent to me too please

needs are basically a dual use range/hunting spotter under a $1000 that’s not super heavy but also doesn’t suck at longer distances or low light circumstances. Heavily considering the SX-4 but Also the Athlon Ares G2

Thnx in advance Schmalts!

Just one guy’s opinion here, but I would skip the spotter until you are sure you need one. If I were to start over again, I’d spend all my budget on binoculars and a tripod, and maybe add a spotter later if I saw a definite need for it. I’ve owned 3 spotters under $1k and none did what you’re looking for. You can always rent a spotter. Go big $ on binos.

Raise the budget a couple hundred and find a used swaro non hd, diascope, leica, meopta, etc.

Just one guy’s opinion here, but I would skip the spotter until you are sure you need one. If I were to start over again, I’d spend all my budget on binoculars and a tripod, and maybe add a spotter later if I saw a definite need for it. I’ve owned 3 spotters under $1k and none did what you’re looking for. You can always rent a spotter. Go big $ on binos.
Good advice right here. Good binos and a tripod are much more versatile. I think it will serve 90% of your needs. I finally bought a kowa 88. Just wow, but I won't need it to hunt until I need to count tines two miles away. My meopta meostar binos on a tripod are incredible.

Pentax scopes and their XW eyepieces are the best value out there, serious top tier optics very affordable. Just my opinion.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back