Yeti GOBOX Collection

Spotting scope questions

CBender09

I've looked through every spotting scope thread here, and haven't really found answers to my questions.

Most people are looking for recommendations for deer/elk/antelope hunting. I was lucky enough to get a goat tag this year, and while it's extremely exciting, I quickly found out that I have never really had proper gear for a backpack hunt 3-4 days maybe, at the top of the hills.
I have a cheap spotter I got as a gift a handful of years ago, and it has done decent enough for a quick peek out of the truck. however, since its so cheap it definitely lacks desired clarity and brightness at any range further than 50yds.

I have a pair of Maven B.2 11x45s already, always with me, and on my chest. Ive never carried a spotter in the field though, just in the truck.

Since i was caught a little off guard with the draw and had so many other pieces to get, my budget for a spotter is around $700. Swaro someday, sure. But I am hunting goats this year, not next year, so I need to get the best I can for now, deal with an upgrade later.

Ive been very intrigued by the Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65. I cant seem to find a bad review, and it seems like a VERY solid, compact, clear, budget friendly but not "cheap" option.

My biggest concern would be the 45x. I've read a lot of people that have a 20x-60x but never have it cranked to 60, BUT thats for elk. For goats, is it/would it be better to get the full 60x? Since their horns aren't enormous, I feel like 60x would be helpful to get a decent look from quite a ways off, before trekking through that kind of country only to be disappointed when you get closer.
Originally was looking at 80-85mm obj, but after actually seeing them, I think I want to steer clear of those for now...a bit larger than I imagined, and don't want to deal with the bulk of one.

Any input, would be greatly appreciated. Especially those of you who have experience with goats/sheep/backpack hunting.

3 top options I’m looking at now:

Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65 (compact, great reviews/bang for buck, but only 45x)

Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60x60 (a little bigger, but get full 60x. Cheaper so more budget left for tripod/accessories and other gear)

Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide 15-45x65 (a little bigger yet, top of budget range, 45x opposed to 60x)

going to try to test the 2 leupold today. Wish I could take a peak through the Athlon but I don’t think anyone around here stocks them..

I have no idea how they run price wise now, but the lat time I bought a spotter the Minox 15-45 HD was a heck of a bargain.

Anything more than a 60mm objective is going to be a tank on a backpacking hunt

I have no idea how they run price wise now, but the lat time I bought a spotter the Minox 15-45 HD was a heck of a bargain.

Anything more than a 60mm objective is going to be a tank on a backpacking hunt
I’ll look into it.
Thanks

You could also look into the Maven spotting scopes they offer a 15-45x65, I have seen a lot of good reviews. I actually purchased one earlier this year but haven’t taken out yet so I can’t give you a full personal review. Not sure if that would be enough magnification for what you are looking for but if it is i would take a look at it. I even think they have a demo program where they will send You one to try.

You could also look into the Maven spotting scopes they offer a 15-45x65, I have seen a lot of good reviews. I actually purchased one earlier this year but haven’t taken out yet so I can’t give you a full personal review. Not sure if that would be enough magnification for what you are looking for but if it is i would take a look at it. I even think they have a demo program where they will send You one to try.
Originally wanted the S1.A, but like I said, the size isn’t practical for this particular hunt IMO.
I’ve seen the CS1 or whatever, the $650 one. Is an option as well, but I’ve heard the Athlon is a little better clarity.
ive thought of planning the demo program right at the time of the hunt, use it for 2 weeks and return, but that seems mean 🤣

Also, I think 45x would be just fine. Sounds like you start to lose clarity and brightness quick at 60x on anything less than 80mm, in which case there’s really no point in getting 20-60

I'd look used also. I bought a $700 scope awhile back because I had to settle. It's a piece of junk. mtmuley
Mind telling me which $700 one? And how long ago? I think as a whole, $700 10 years ago compared to now is a world of difference, as technology has improved.
I’m keeping my eye on a lot of classifieds for used, just not a lot of options at the moment

Another option to consider is renting a spotting scope for your hunt. If you know you will likely get a Swarovski in the future, renting may be better than buying something that isn't really what you want. Above all, congrats on the tag and have a great hunt!

If you are really just going to throw money away... maybe look at renting a spotter. Just a quick search found 65mm swaros for $25/day. You could keep half your cash and put it towards a better scope in the future. I really don't think a spotting scope is all that critical for goats, a mature Billy is easy to tell, and judging goats to anyplace of accuracy is nearly impossible unless you are really close. I could be wrong, but I doubt you'll pass up a mature goat of you've never hunted one before?

The problem with higher magnification is heat waves. I have 56x and it works best on overcast days and at the right times dawn/dusk. Can you see goat horns better? Depends. They are pretty small and you'll have to be fairly close to judge them. I can usually count rings on a sheep at 400ish yards with the right lighting. No scope out there will give much more detail, although I've not looked through the giant new swaros, but have little use for them on a hunt anyway.

The 80mm swaro isn't that heavy. My hunting partner brings his all the time on backpack hunts. It's like 8oz heavier than my 65mm zeiss. There is very little difference in clarity when I've compared them side by side as well, at least I couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck on your hunt.

If you are really just going to throw money away... maybe look at renting a spotter. Just a quick search found 65mm swaros for $25/day. You could keep half your cash and put it towards a better scope in the future. I really don't think a spotting scope is all that critical for goats, a mature Billy is easy to tell, and judging goats to anyplace of accuracy is nearly impossible unless you are really close. I could be wrong, but I doubt you'll pass up a mature goat of you've never hunted one before?

The problem with higher magnification is heat waves. I have 56x and it works best on overcast days and at the right times dawn/dusk. Can you see goat horns better? Depends. They are pretty small and you'll have to be fairly close to judge them. I can usually count rings on a sheep at 400ish yards with the right lighting. No scope out there will give much more detail, although I've not looked through the giant new swaros, but have little use for them on a hunt anyway.

The 80mm swaro isn't that heavy. My hunting partner brings his all the time on backpack hunts. It's like 8oz heavier than my 65mm zeiss. There is very little difference in clarity when I've compared them side by side as well, at least I couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck on your hunt.
Thanks.
I’ve thought of renting too. Or just make due with my binos, but a little more power I think would be nice, for shooting, scouting, and hunting.
It’s a little easier to stomach purchasing, since I have a few kids, oldest 11, so in a handful or 2 years from now, I can give him my cheaper one when I upgrade.
A lot to consider. Thanks for the input

Originally wanted the S1.A, but like I said, the size isn’t practical for this particular hunt IMO.
I’ve seen the CS1 or whatever, the $650 one. Is an option as well, but I’ve heard the Athlon is a little better clarity.
ive thought of planning the demo program right at the time of the hunt, use it for 2 weeks and return, but that seems mean 🤣
I wouldn’t feel bad lol I’d be more afraid of getting it and it not being good enough and not having a good enough spotter for the hunt

I have the Athlon spotter you speak of and cant recommend it enough. I am sure swaros would best it in a competition but for the money I dont think the Ares can be beat. I still dont understand how it can be as good as it is while being so compact.

I have the Athlon spotter you speak of and cant recommend it enough. I am sure swaros would best it in a competition but for the money I dont think the Ares can be beat. I still dont understand how it can be as good as it is while being so compact.
Do you have experience with others that you’re kind of “comparing” it to?

Do you have experience with others that you’re kind of “comparing” it to?
I had a vortex viper. The Ares was considerably better. A good friend of mine also has a razor and we have compared them side by side and little to no difference. In full disclosure I am no optics savant. I am definitely not the guy that can pick out tiny differences in color and contrast and such.

I had a vortex viper. The Ares was considerably better. A good friend of mine also has a razor and we have compared them side by side and little to no difference. In full disclosure I am no optics savant. I am definitely not the guy that can pick out tiny differences in color and contrast and such.
Appreciate it.
I’m not either..and everyone’s eyes are different. I prefer my $1000 maven binos over $2400 leicas. Just curious what you had experience with.
I typically steer clear of anything vortex, as I think there’s way too much fanboyism there. Everyone who LOVES them is in denial, feel like there’s always a better option at equal price point IMO.
Really like the Ares specs...I just like the fact I can look through leupolds in town. Athlon is a shot in the dark which can be scary

optics4rent.com
If you find yourself wanting a spotter for more than this one hunt, then save your money and don't buy a mid level scope. Don't make the mistake so many of us have made wasting money on small steps up in performance and still wanting more. When you're ready, buy a Kowa.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back