Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spotting scope questions

optics4rent.com
If you find yourself wanting a spotter for more than this one hunt, then save your money and don't buy a mid level scope. Don't make the mistake so many of us have made wasting money on small steps up in performance and still wanting more. When you're ready, buy a Kowa.
I still want a Kowa. mtmuley

I still want a Kowa. mtmuley
A guy at my shooting club is an optical engineer and used to work for Kowa in grad school. He had almost every spotter in their lineup including those giant highlander binos. I got to try them all. I went with the 774 and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I have a new kowa 884 unbelievable! Got about 30 hours on it now. It was either a swaro STX or kowa 884 (both blow away swaro hd's) like the color clarity tiny better in kowa and seemed lighter, like the 2 knob tune adjustment system, and a whole lot cheaper and available. Buy once cry once... Even if looking for more compact spotter, look thru some of the kowa products, nice glass!

Last edited:
Contact @schmalts about a spotter! I am in the process of buying one of the athlon ares 65s from him. I wanted a lighter scope than my 85mm razor because it is to heavy to schlep around the mountains 6-10 miles a day.

Since i was caught a little off guard with the draw and had so many other pieces to get, my budget for a spotter is around $700. Swaro someday, sure. But I am hunting goats this year, not next year, so I need to get the best I can for now, deal with an upgrade later.

Ive been very intrigued by the Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65. I cant seem to find a bad review, and it seems like a VERY solid, compact, clear, budget friendly but not "cheap" option.
Many of the comments have been pretty good including renting a scope (although this to me is throwing away money unless you plan on purchasing a very high end scope. Renting a high end scope when you having no intentions of spending the kind of money on such a scope is like test driving a Ferrari knowing you will never own it), contacting Schmalts on this site for the best pricing as well as knowledge is a solid piece of advice. I am very happy with my Athlon. Surely DID NOT pay 700.00 for it (Manufactures suggested price). Super happy with it's price point, glass clarity, size and weight for packing around and it's multitude of uses. Don't forget the price of a tripod in your purchase..... Kowa's are a very nice option and I have looked through them as well as some others have mentioned (honestly I didn't see the difference in price with my eyes. Yes better BUT that kind of price better????). As many have said I am no optics genius myself, just a life long hunter who is looking for the best bang for my buck (and money is an object!). A spotting scope is NOT a must to hunt any big game animal but it's surely a nice thing to have when you need it (mostly making decision in tough country that require decision before commitment). In a 15x45 power scope I am not sure I would pay more than I paid for my Athlon Ares even if I could afford it. Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the comments have been pretty good including renting a scope (although this to me is throwing away money unless you plan on purchasing a very high end scope. Renting a high end scope when you having no intentions of spending the kind of money on such a scope is like test driving a Ferrari knowing you will never own it), contacting Schmalts on this site for the best pricing as well as knowledge is a solid piece of advice. I am very happy with my Athlon. Surely DID NOT pay 700.00 for it (Manufactures suggested price). Super happy with it's price point, glass clarity, size and weight for packing around and it's multitude of uses. Don't forget the price of a tripod in your purchase..... Kowa's are a very nice option and I have looked through them as well as some others people have mentioned (honestly I didn't see the difference in price with my eyes). As many have said I am no optics genius, just a life long hunter who is looking for the best bang for my buck (and money is an object!). A a spotting scope is NOT a must to hunt any big game animal but it's surely a nice thing to have when you need it (mostly making decision in tough country that require decision before commitment). In a 15x45 power scope I am not sure I would pay more than I paid for my Athlon Ares even if I could afford it. Just my .02
Thanks.
I’ve been looking at tripods as well, and it looks like that can add up quick too if you need to buy a head separately or something. I do have an older Nikon tripod that I think would work if need be. Probably not the most robust and stable legs out there, but may be able to make it work

I have an Athlon Ares. and I am very happy with it. Compared it side by side on a coues hunt, With a Leupold 12-40x60 non HD. The Leupold had a little warmer color, but the Ares was slightly sharper. As others have said. Schmalts will have the best prices.

I have a sx2 kenai and I am not impressed with it tbh. My $300-$400 binos put it to shame for the most part.

If I were you I'd up my budget for a spotter. You'll gain better focus, better eye relief, clarity, fov, quality, and less edge distortion.

If I were to rank reasons to upgrade this specific spotter eye relief, focus, and edge distortion, and quality would be the main reasons.

Eye relief isn't a a big deal if spotting from the truck window. If your sitting on a hill it sucks to try and position your eye perfectly everytime. Or, it gets dark and you're pressing your eyeball into the eyepiece trying to see everything.

The focus wheel on the specific spotter is so tight it moves the spotter and shakes everything when focusing. Since its tight you can never really get that sweet spot when it starts getting dark.

Edge distortion really doesn't bother me during the day but it starts blurring out the image as darkness comes. Which leads me to trying to focus that stupid wheel more, to which I can never get the sweet spot. $%$#

Clarity for the specimen is ok with the fixed 30x but my $400 binos still resolve better. I did use this scope for a few days comparing the zoom eyepiece to the fixed and I could resolve better with the fixed 30 than I could the zoom. This really could be a focus issue, but thats how it worked.

Quality is important. I've taken this spotter on 3 hunts and the twist eye ups are now loose and won't hold a position. The oring that held them steady pulled out. There are some plastic pieces in the obj end that bent, when the obj cover popped off.
One nice thing is that leupold will fix the issues so I am not worried there.

I list my grievances with this scope because I was hoping to get into something.. acceptable... at this price point. FOR ME, I think I need something more. I just wanted this to pair well with my binos, which it didnt.

I have no idea how they run price wise now, but the lat time I bought a spotter the Minox 15-45 HD was a heck of a bargain.

Anything more than a 60mm objective is going to be a tank on a backpacking hunt

The little minox I have is pretty damn impressive for the money.

Just throwing this out there, we use our spotter at 60x all the time. If buying, go with a 60x spotter, variable power.
You will not be able to use the highest power all the time but when heat waves permit it's use you will like having the extra magnification.
We have a Leupold Gold ring and it is nice and light, upgraded to a Swaro years back and it is much better but heavier.

Lots of good spotters out there now, I would talk with Schmalts and get his recc. too, great guy to deal with.

If you can find a used leupold goldring in the 12-40x60 I'd give that scope more than a serious thought.

I've had one for close to 20 years and IMO, for clarity, compact size, weight, magnification, etc. its tough to top for backpack hunting.

I picked mine up for about $500 and when I drew my basically once in a lifetime sheep tag, I used it over my swaro. I like the swarovski for picking apart pronghorn, etc. when I'm close to a vehicle, on short hunts, etc. But for backpacking the Leupold is what I grab every single time.

Probably one of the most under-appreciated, fairly priced spotting scopes on the market.

For that budget on a high mountain hunt, I would be looking at the Gold Ring that @BuzzH posted about, a Maven S2, or the oddball Meopta TGA 75 with the 30x WA eyepiece.

I've seen them all go for about $700.

If you can find a used leupold goldring in the 12-40x60 I'd give that scope more than a serious thought.

I've had one for close to 20 years and IMO, for clarity, compact size, weight, magnification, etc. its tough to top for backpack hunting.

I picked mine up for about $500 and when I drew my basically once in a lifetime sheep tag, I used it over my swaro. I like the swarovski for picking apart pronghorn, etc. when I'm close to a vehicle, on short hunts, etc. But for backpacking the Leupold is what I grab every single time.

Probably one of the most under-appreciated, fairly priced spotting scopes on the market.
I look for used ones daily...not a ton of luck yet. There is a Leupold gold ring (I believe) for $310 where I’m at, but looks like it’s fixed 25x, 50mm 🤷🏻‍♂️

For that budget on a high mountain hunt, I would be looking at the Gold Ring that @BuzzH posted about, a Maven S2, or the oddball Meopta TGA 75 with the 30x WA eyepiece.

I've seen them all go for about $700.
I did see a used S2 somewhere the other day, but I think I’d lean towards a little more magnification. Really wish it went more around 35-40x.
We’ll see. May have convinced my wife that the budget needs to increase a bit 🤣 time will tell.

I did see a used S2 somewhere the other day, but I think I’d lean towards a little more magnification. Really wish it went more around 35-40x.
We’ll see. May have convinced my wife that the budget needs to increase a bit 🤣 time will tell.
What about an Opticron MM4 60 with the 15-45 eyepiece?

I've looked through every spotting scope thread here, and haven't really found answers to my questions.

Most people are looking for recommendations for deer/elk/antelope hunting. I was lucky enough to get a goat tag this year, and while it's extremely exciting, I quickly found out that I have never really had proper gear for a backpack hunt 3-4 days maybe, at the top of the hills.
I have a cheap spotter I got as a gift a handful of years ago, and it has done decent enough for a quick peek out of the truck. however, since its so cheap it definitely lacks desired clarity and brightness at any range further than 50yds.

I have a pair of Maven B.2 11x45s already, always with me, and on my chest. Ive never carried a spotter in the field though, just in the truck.

Since i was caught a little off guard with the draw and had so many other pieces to get, my budget for a spotter is around $700. Swaro someday, sure. But I am hunting goats this year, not next year, so I need to get the best I can for now, deal with an upgrade later.

Ive been very intrigued by the Athlon Ares G2 15-45x65. I cant seem to find a bad review, and it seems like a VERY solid, compact, clear, budget friendly but not "cheap" option.

My biggest concern would be the 45x. I've read a lot of people that have a 20x-60x but never have it cranked to 60, BUT thats for elk. For goats, is it/would it be better to get the full 60x? Since their horns aren't enormous, I feel like 60x would be helpful to get a decent look from quite a ways off, before trekking through that kind of country only to be disappointed when you get closer.
Originally was looking at 80-85mm obj, but after actually seeing them, I think I want to steer clear of those for now...a bit larger than I imagined, and don't want to deal with the bulk of one.

Any input, would be greatly appreciated. Especially those of you who have experience with goats/sheep/backpack hunting.
Get the maven doubler for your binos. Saves you some weight too. Other than that I would demo a spotter on your trip and save your shekels for the good spotter down the road that you really want. No goat and sheep hunting experience so wtf do I know

Is anyone here using the Zeiss Dialyt, I have seen them around the OP budget and was curios on performance?

Back