Brody's Wyoming Antelope (pic heavy)

pointingdogsrule

Last fall I asked a client's son if he wanted to go antelope hunting in Wyoming. Brody is 12 years old and lives on a dairy farm. He accepted the invite.

The trip would be VERY SHORT. We would hunt a ranch in eastern Wyoming and the season opened on Sept 24th (a Sunday). We would need to be back that same Sunday night as I had heavy work on Monday and his dad had to be back at the farm. The 11 hour drive would be fast. His dad and uncle (who had a tag) both went along and made the trip and driving easier. We left Thursday afternoon and arrived on Friday afternoon (stayed overnight in South Dakota).

A foggy Friday morning in South Dakota.
attachment.php

When we left northeast Iowa the temps were in the 80's. Temps in Wyoming would be in the high 40's during our entire trip.
attachment.php

Made the obligational stop at the "big p-dog" (Brody). I learned something from this trip. P-dogs do NOT like the cold, overcast or rain. We had planned on shooting some p-dogs and we...... maybe saw 2 dozen the entire trip.
attachment.php

Badlands National Park
attachment.php

Stopped for the moving of cattle in South Dakota.
attachment.php

The Saturday before the hunt we helped precondition (vaccinate)500 calves on the ranch that we hunted. Being a DVM and with fellow farmers... that was right up our alley. It was neat to see some really good horsemanship.

The ranch near the Rochelle Hills.
attachment.php

This young lady helped roundup the cattle. She is quite the rider (cutter) as she finished 7th at the National Finals Rodeo (NFR) last year, in her age division.
attachment.php

The roundup. (I did a little experimentation with camera settings)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sunday finally came around and it was time to hunt Antelope. We had driven the ranch numerous times the two days before so we knew what we were looking the type of buck that would be acceptable. We wanted to be on the road by noon so time was tight.

The temp that opening morning.
attachment.php

We passed on four bucks on the way into the ranch. This was one group.
attachment.php

Brody saw this guy and was excited to take a shot at him. Here he making a scrape at 118 yards (he had 3 does with him). He had decent height (this is typical for this ranch). Brody set up for the shot, however, the buck faced away for 4-5 minutes before turning broadside. Brody says that was good because he shook off all the "jitters". Brody made a nice lung shot at 118 yards with the .223

Brody's buck making a scrape.
attachment.php

Brody's buck.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Brody's uncle filled his buck tag and then we went searching for a doe (to fill Brody's doe tag). We found this girl at 211 yards and once more Brody made a great shot. The 3 antelope were hanging and then quartered out and we were on the road and headed back to Iowa at 12:30. Not too bad.

I had to get into at least one photo.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Love the bomber hat. Congratulations to Brody, and thank you for taking him.

Congratulations to all of you! You packed a whole lot of adventure into a very tiny time slot, I doubt many have pulled off so much so fast even flying.

Packed a ton of experiances for the group into a very compact time frame. Congratulations

Back