Broadhead Recommendations

I just said F'it and stuck with Thunderheads a couple of decades ago. The shoot straight, easy to replace the blades, and Kill. Don't know what more to ask for.

Thanks everyone, I’ll dig into it a little more but appreciate all the info. Added weight to some I was already interested in and added more to the list. Not sure I am any closer to the answer for myself but appreciate hearing what everyone uses.

Ive been shooting the Thunderhead 100's for years, and they haven't disappointed me yet. Tons of good broadheads out there....However, shot placement is the # 1 thing...good luck.

QAD Exodus are my go to head for an all around great broadhead.

I am going to pony up and try out some of the Ironwill V100’s just because it seems everyone raves about them.

About the only rule for me is all steel construction whether its mechanical or fixed. There are general rules I think make a sturdy head. Shorter the ferrule the less likely to bend, I dont want super wide or thin blades. I dont like huge vents on the blades for durability and noise. And I like easy to sharpen blades.

If all I hunted were deer-sized game, I would just use 100grn Spitfires. I mostly bowhunt elk these days, so I'm pretty set on fixed blade. Viper Ticks are darn good. Hard to beat small 4 blade head on big critters.

This question cannot be answered. You may have well asked, what is the best pizza or beer or "how long is a piece of rope?"

You did not define "best" or what you value in a broadhead

Price?
Durability/re-usability?
Availability?
If American Made?
etc?

I did not include flight (a common mistake many ask about a broadhead) since eery broadhead will fly like a field point if you do your part. And I didn't include wound channel since eery head will kill if properly placed.

The brand or length of arrow also wont matter.

Perhaps include what you value in a head and what you hunt.
Stay sharp has some of the best broad head post I have ever seen and I mostly agree with his logic
for deer most heads work well if tuned properly and placed right deer arent the toughest thing we hunt
And for most big heavy game I like heavier arrows with fixed blade heavier heads I think so many heads have thin blades and are not as tough as I like when the shot isnt perfect and it need to smash and cut through tough bones,look at Fred bear and how his arrows dropped larger tough game with a recurve

QAD Exodus are my go to head for an all around great broadhead.

I am going to pony up and try out some of the Ironwill V100’s just because it seems everyone raves about them.
Just be prepared to sharpen the 16 different blade edges. At that price they are not a disposable head so you will own the re-sharpening of them.

Agree w the heavier fixed blades, no to minimal vents, on heavy game w big bones. When I wrkd w my uncle at his wild game processing shop I got to do quite a few “autopsies” on heavy exotic game; water buffalo, bison, other “exotic” cattle, elk, n such. Noticed most expandables and other less “beefy” or lightly constructed heads broke up or did not penetrate when coming in contact w heavy bone, n not just scapula, humerus, or spine! I.E. no penetration, broken blades, completely devastated heads. I’ve seen those big rib bones play havoc on thunderheads/rage/n others to name a couple. Granted I don’t know what their bow set up was but proof is in the pudding and it’s hard to beat a well constructed, heavy, sharp, broadhead backed w a heavy arrow out of a well tuned bow.

Just be prepared to sharpen the 16 different blade edges. At that price they are not a disposable head so you will own the re-sharpening of them.
Yes sir. Well aware of the sharpening process for the Iron Will broadheads.

Also, the lifetime guarantee is an added bonus to these broadheads as well. Might be the last ones you’ll ever have to buy if you can handle the re-sharpening.

Agree w the heavier fixed blades, no to minimal vents, on heavy game w big bones. When I wrkd w my uncle at his wild game processing shop I got to do quite a few “autopsies” on heavy exotic game; water buffalo, bison, other “exotic” cattle, elk, n such. Noticed most expandables and other less “beefy” or lightly constructed heads broke up or did not penetrate when coming in contact w heavy bone, n not just scapula, humerus, or spine! I.E. no penetration, broken blades, completely devastated heads. I’ve seen those big rib bones play havoc on thunderheads/rage/n others to name a couple. Granted I don’t know what their bow set up was but proof is in the pudding and it’s hard to beat a well constructed, heavy, sharp, broadhead backed w a heavy arrow out of a well tuned bow.
Thanks great feedback

one thing i always consider is noise. some broadheads ive tried are just way too noisy. if your shots are gonna be close like a lot of the whitetail guys back east, its not such a big factor, but i only hunt out west where shots tend to be a bit longer, so the animal may hear the arrow and jump the string causing a miss, or worse, a bad shot. obviously mechanicals are quieter but i prefer fixed blades, and i have found some that are pretty quiet with my setup.

one thing i always consider is noise. some broadheads ive tried are just way too noisy. if your shots are gonna be close like a lot of the whitetail guys back east, its not such a big factor, but i only hunt out west where shots tend to be a bit longer, so the animal may hear the arrow and jump the string causing a miss, or worse, a bad shot. obviously mechanicals are quieter but i prefer fixed blades, and i have found some that are pretty quiet with my setup.
Which ones do you use?

ive got a number of different brands. muzzys, magnus, innerlocs, slick tricks. my faves for my current setup are probably my innerlocs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back