Caribou Gear Tarp

Breaking in Rubber boots?

ahetteen

Hey everyone, on the recommendation of the internet and some buddies, I just bought my first pair of rubber boots to use turkey hunting. I spent a lot of time trying various boots on and finally chose a pair of LaCrosse Alphaburly boots that are about 1/2 size to full size smaller than I usually wear. Why did I go smaller? I just could not find a pair that seemed to fit well in the heel cup. Now I have them home and I'm walking around in them and having second thoughts. Is there a proper way to break them in? i feel like I might be already developing a hot spot after just a few laps in my house. Is this normal? I've spent 20+ years in the military and put a lot of miles in boots and broken in my fair share of military and hunting boots and I RARELY have problems because I am anal about choosing the right boot when I shop. I've never had rubber boots before. These are making me think that I'd rather have good fitting boots and some wet socks. Any tips or advice?

**I posted this on another forum as well, so sorry for the doubletap if some of you happen to be a member there too**

My feet don’t like Lacrosse boots. Every pair I have had never fit me good. I’ve tried all different sizes too. Now I wear muck boots and they fit great. I hike up and down mountains with them(and in some stuff I probably shouldn’t) and have never had a hot spot and my feet feel normal. Gotta find a brand that fit your feet properly.

My feet don’t like Lacrosse boots. Every pair I have had never fit me good. I’ve tried all different sizes too. Now I wear muck boots and they fit great. I hike up and down mountains with them(and in some stuff I probably shouldn’t) and have never had a hot spot and my feet feel normal. Gotta find a brand that fit your feet properly.
I tried the Mucks and they were just too sloppy for me. I tried to go smaller and tighter and I still felt like my foot was bouncing around inside a basketball, and I have relatively wide feet!

I've been wearing Lacrosse rubber boots for over 20 yrs. I've never heard of breaking in rubber boots. I just buy the ones that fit me and rock on. If you can't get them to fit, then maybe they aren't for you.

You can break in leather or fabric boots because the material stretches and conforms to your foot shape. Rubber maintains its original form so there is no “break in.” Just buy a pair that fits to begin with, the closest you can. If I’m doing any serious walking I’m not wearing rubber boots anyways.

You gotta put the hind legs of a lamb in the boots push it up to cliff and leter buck.

You can break in leather or fabric boots because the material stretches and conforms to your foot shape. Rubber maintains its original form so there is no “break in.” Just buy a pair that fits to begin with, the closest you can. If I’m doing any serious walking I’m not wearing rubber boots anyways.
That's kind of what I expected. Finding something that fits to my standard is proving more difficult than I expected.

I hunt almost solely in rubber knee or hip boots. Both are lacrosses at this time. You won’t break them in. If you can clean them up good enough you can return them. I’ve done that when I’ve been in your situation.

If they show too much wear for the store to take them back (also from experience) you can probably sell them for $10-20 less than you paid and get most your money back. But I’d buy a pair that fit instead of trying to make do with what you have.

I always just buyt them and wear them. I don't expect them to fit like a pair of Crispi's.

XTRATuffs are probably the most foot conforming but will not be as durable as some other models... Check a fishing supply or Dairy supply vendor.

Z0B8H-fo5oy.JPG

Here is a link to Duluth trading for insulated ones..

I've worn Lacrosse for decades. For the best fit, try switching socks, adding socks, different thickness socks, etc.

@ahetteen good to see you here. I have been struggling with the same thing ie: finding some rubber boots that don't feel sloppy.....
You found me! I have to drop into the internet for wisdom now because I can't just drop by your office. I went for a walk with my wife this morning in the Alphaburlys and they about rubbed my ankle bone raw in less than a mile. I'm done. I'm returning them. I think I'm going to try the Aeroheads or the Alpha Agility as those seem to be more shoe like. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to stick with regular boots and being more careful where I walk. I was just hoping that I could find some good rubber for this year as last season's spring mud was kinda brutal on my Lowas.

Do you have a pair? I looked at those too but the traction seemed kinda sketchy. The Xtratuf seem more suited to fishing boats.
Yes I do. They aren't hiking boots. If I want traction then I wear my Pac Boots or Meindl's depending on moisture. There have been a lot of Sitka blacktail deer killed in Ketchican Hi Tops. But if i'm consistently in mud or water over ankle deep the waterproofness supersedes the traction needs.

I’ve had a pair of lacrosse rubber boots and several pairs of cabelas brand insulated rubber boots (usually 1,200 or 2,000 gr variety). I’ve put many many hard miles on all of them and don’t ever recall a break in period.

Also, I can’t afford specialized gear. So all those insulated boots are an extra size and half or two full sizes too big so I can add socks and warmers and use them for tree stand hunting in WI in November and December.

Those same boots get worn “too big” during spring turkey and early season archery sans the extra socks and warmers. I put many miles on them in plowed, muddy corn fields, swamps, logging roads, etc. My point is that I guess I wouldn’t worry about sloppy. I worry about the smell of a new pair exponentially more than sloppy.

Ok, like I said in an earlier post, I returned the Alphaburly Pros. I picked up some LaCrosse Alpha Agility and early indications on the fit is promising. Heel Cup is tighter and the whole boot seems a lot lighter. They seem like they might be a lot more conforming. Though I admit the lighter, shoe like fit might be bad for durability but I doubt I will use these as much as some other boots. We'll see how they work in about 2 weeks!

XTRATuffs are probably the most foot conforming but will not be as durable as some other models... Check a fishing supply or Dairy supply vendor.

Z0B8H-fo5oy.JPG

Here is a link to Duluth trading for insulated ones..

Coastal Alaska dress shoes for both men and women. Also found on the decks of nearly every fishing boat and tug from Alaska to the Mexican border and those folks are working in them 12-18 hours a day. I know this is an old thread but I can’t even count the number of XTRATuffs I wore out over the years and just had to comment. Though I wear Muck boots when I need rubber boots hunting or working around the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back