Bourbon Connoisseurs

I tend to agree that when you are messing with PVW and Blanton's you are paying for hype over anything else.

Some of the bottles I look for, that IMO punch above their weight class (Blanton killers ;)):
- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Knob Creek Barrel Reserve
- Eagle Rare
- Michter's
- Russel's Reserve (haven't heard this one mentioned, it is done by Wild Turkey, definitely worth checking out)
- Bulleit 10yr
- Calument Small Batch

@jryoung I am going to try that Jefferson's wheated. I will say standard Jefferson's Ocean seemed really over hyped there for a bit.

When I was in Colorado a local liquor store had a free tasting of Pappy 20 year and Barter house (by Orphan Barrel). It sounds crazy, and maybe it was the hour waiting in line, but Barter house tasted better and smoother than Pappy. My thinking, spend the money on the pack of bourbons that Orphan Barrel puts out (found one at Costco of all places) and you’ll be a very happy camper.

@jryoung I am going to try that Jefferson's wheated. I will say standard Jefferson's Ocean seemed really over hyped there for a bit.
The last Jefferson's I had tasted like Crown in a bourbon bottle...dumped it in with some ginger beer to make it taste good BUT I don't like wheated bourbons because they tend to taste too much like Canadian Whiskey.

Also Russell Reserve is a good one and supposedly ranks pretty high in current taste tests

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Pappy will remain a "dream" bourbon for now.
Also watch out because there are fraud sales everywhere. I'd say save your $ and drink a lot of good different bourbons. For $1k you can have like 20-50 bottles and then be the cool dude with an awesome selection.

I have two bottles of VanWinkle. the 12yo Lot B and the 15yo. They are both VERY Good. Neither is worth much more than the actual retail ($80 & $120, respectively) which is what I actually paid.
I bought a bottle of Weller Green label the other day for $27- now that's a steal.
There are so many great options for under $50.

I've gone through three bottles of Pappy 20, and traded the fourth. I love wheaters and it is very very good, but not worth the price it commands right now. A buddy, who loves wheaters as well turned me on to this bottling of Jeffersons Ocean Special Wheated....we both agree, it's Pappy good.

AEB91942-8E98-4F85-A3FB-310ACA946596.jpeg
The Jefferson’s Ocean is a strong contender in our house as well.

Weller or Buffalo Trace are usually my go to bottles. Eagle Rare isn’t bad but it’s about $30 more than the others around here. Angels Envy is also high on my list but I’ve found I like several other bourbons that are finished in port barrels.

Herm Whiskey is Ridiculously good...so I have been told.
For real Dog Soldier is good.herm-foto.jpg

Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond
Old Forester (preferably bottled in bond) my personal favorite
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond...best low price bourbon out there IMO and punches in the $50/bottle price for around $19
Michters...I like their rye for fancy drinks
Old Granddad 114 is another high rye bourbon on my list.
Buffalo Trace is a mixing bourbon...pour it in an old fashion or with some coke but to me it's recent hype isn't justified

Notice no mention of Blantons or Pappy's. I've never had Pappy and hear it is extremely overrated. Personally I think Blanton's in a one note wonder and only gains attention because it's expensive
Appreciate the EW shoutout. It is in a class if it’s own at it’s price point. I also am a huge fan of their single barrel. I find it regularly for $23-26 here in Indiana.

I never realized how good the stuff was till I poured some Coke in it.
View attachment 227957View attachment 227959
That's pretty funny right there! But hey, if that's how ya like it, then I say go for it. I've always hated it when some whiskey snob says you shouldn't add ice, you should drink it neat at room temp etc, etc. I say you do you, I'll do me. It's an individual thing

Like everyone says, there's lots of good $30-50 bottles out there to enjoy instead of paying for the hype of the unicorn bottles. And there's even a few $20-30 bottles that are excellent as well. Just buy a different bottle every payday until ya find what works for you & is available in your area. I got tired of trying to find those rare, hyped up bottles that never hit the shelves around my town.

You BASTAGES cost me $74 talking like this.... Buffalo trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch and Four Roses Small batch.

I used to be happy with a 1.75 of Makers from Costco for $35.

liquor.jpg

You BASTAGES cost me $74 talking like this.... Buffalo trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch and Four Roses Small batch.

I used to be happy with a 1.75 of Makers from Costco for $35.

View attachment 228133
Quit Yer Bellyach'n :ROFLMAO: that's a steal for all that compared to here in MT where your full price is our sale price (FYI it's never on sale)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back