Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bourbon Connoisseurs

That Woodford Reserve Double Oak is great. If you end up liking it, check out Old Forester 1910…you will not be disappointed…
I had the Double at a friends a few months ago and I really like it so I picked up a bottle :) I saw the OF the other day too, didn't buy it , but it's on the list.

I sure miss the 2013-14 era Black Maple Hill. Best stuff I’ve ever had (even at $100ish+ a bottle). That label, since then, has been very mediocre. My usual go-to is a local distillery’s “Border Bourbon” but was recently turned on to Redemption Bourbon. Smooth and tasty.

I sure miss the 2013-14 era Black Maple Hill. Best stuff I’ve ever had (even at $100ish+ a bottle). That label, since then, has been very mediocre. My usual go-to is a local distillery’s “Border Bourbon” but was recently turned on to Redemption Bourbon. Smooth and tasty.
45th Parallel is pretty good for a small distillery. Have you tried their Red Fife? There is a place in Hudson that has a Tattersall barrel pick that is worth checking out.

20230217_204650.jpg

So many choices for the evening...I believe I will have a High West this evening.

Old Forester Prohibition (current out of stock) is an excellent drink. Harsh at first but 1 ice cube opens all sorts of flavors. Henry McKenna is a good pour too BUT we don't drink mine. It is a bottle of the 2009 release and is too expensive.

IMO Blantons is one of the most overrated bourbon available.

Last edited:
View attachment 265248

So many choices for the evening...I believe I will have a High West this evening.

Old Forester Prohibition (current out of stock) is an excellent drink. Harsh at first but 1 ice cube opens all sorts of flavors. Henry McKenna is a good pour too BUT we don't drink mine. It is a bottle of the 2009 release and is too expensive.

I'll report back on the Blantons....It was a gift gift for the party and I look forward to trying it. Personally...I REALLY like Woodford and I like the Bulleit...cost and hard to get don't mean anything to me...

View attachment 265248

Grant, I have both those High Wests too, and I am interested what you think. At first I thought the new label was just that, but after having it, I think it is noticeably better than the American Prairie. Someone told me the new label is now their own distillate versus sourced stuff from Indiana.

Also, if you can’t get your hands on Redwood Empire Lost Monarch Bourye, let me know, and I will bring you a bottle. It is dynamite for $40…

Have you tried their Red Fife?
Not yet, but I’ll have to soon. 45th has a tasting room in the back of Stillwater Proper. Heck, I’ll probably stop by there tonight.
There is a place in Hudson that has a Tattersall barrel pick that is worth checking out.
I drive by there daily. I’ll have to make time to visit.

Another vote for Russell's 10 yr.

It's getting difficult to find around here but it's one of the few bourbons I can afford to have in my cabinet at all times and never get tired of it.

Guess I’m the odd man out here. I’ve been sipping a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked for a few weeks now and it’s just ok to me. I much prefer Blantons, Bullet, or Buffalo Trace. I usually enjoy my bourbon neat.

I'll report back on the Blantons....It was a gift gift for the party and I look forward to trying it. Personally...I REALLY like Woodford and I like the Bulleit...cost and hard to get don't mean anything to me...
Ok, party is over and for me the one I liked the most was the Four Roses. After you left a few small ice cubes in it, it really brought out the flavor IMO. The others were not bad though.

Been enjoying Wild Turkey 101. Pretty impressed for the price. Really like Four Roses, too.
Always thought that WT101 gets a bad rap from those who only drink it for its higher alcohol content. It’s got really good flavor for the price, just needs a bit of mellowing with a splash of water or a couple ice cubes.

Tried a bottle of relatively inexpensive Old Forester 86 proof last evening.
Darned good bourbon for the price point, I think it was around $30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back