MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Boots for September elk hunting

I wouldn’t rule out any good quality hiking/backpacking boot for September elk. You don’t necessarily need a tall, stiff boot for what you’re doing. I would not want insulated in September.

Last edited:
Dsnow....not calling you out.....whatever works for you.
I just got to a point with boots where I said "never again." I worked too hard to be beaten by cold feet. I can adjust sock layers but warm, dry feet is an absolute must at 11,000' in September.

Thanks guys for all the responses and info..there only one store in my area that can order the boots I'm looking at but he's doesn't keep any in stock because of the $ and not a lot of demand in Florida
Just check where you can return them for free and order a few pairs. Pretty sure gohunt has a good return policy.

Dsnow....not calling you out.....whatever works for you.
I just got to a point with boots where I said "never again." I worked too hard to be beaten by cold feet. I can adjust sock layers but warm, dry feet is an absolute must at 11,000' in September.
Absolutely, I got to the same point just made a different decision. Glad there are so many options out there!

I wear uninsulated 100% of the time with western hunting (and ice fishing) I adjust my activity to keep my feet warm if it's cold. I think a stiff sole works better in rough terrain for me. Most boots start leaking after a couple years no matter who makes them, so take warranty into account. Standard is 12 months, some have 2 year. Not many will do a longer warranty.

Just got my Lowa Caminos back from Germany & rebuild. New broke in boots to go with the Tibets.
I wear the Caminos almost daily year round.

I have wonky feet. Short and very wide, and one is a half-size larger than the other. The most comfortable boots that I've found are Keens. They are the only thing that feet's my feet very well, but if you Google Keens you're likely to see a lot of negative reviews. Not from me, however. The point is, you definitely want something waterproof, but there is no substitute for simple comfort. All the bells and whistles will mean nothing if you have blisters on your heels and 10 miles to the trailhead.

Kenetreks all the way they have preformed flawlessly for me over the past 4 seasons. i crossed a creek that was right to the top of the boot and 20 yards wide 4 times there and back and never had a wet foot. Best boot ever made!

Just got my Lowa Caminos back from Germany & rebuild. New broke in boots to go with the Tibets.
I wear the Caminos almost daily year round.
Just bought a pair for work. Solid boot. I have Kenetreks for hunting, but like the Camino so far.

I have 2 pairs of Salomon Quest 4d’s. They are super comfortable and lightweight. Uninsulated. I wear one pair almost everyday.
That’s what works for me. I think everyone is probably different.

I have 2 pairs of Salomon Quest 4d’s. They are super comfortable and lightweight. Uninsulated. I wear one pair almost everyday.
That’s what works for me. I think everyone is probably different.
Used to wear them for work. Loved them. Durability and quality has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so. mtmuley

I deal with some foot and ankle problems after years of abuse. Found the Tactical Research Khyber and never looked back (Amazon link).

Haven't tested them below freezing yet but I buy an wide and a little harder for thick socks.

I personally use the Crispi Idaho 2. It's a nice mix between a hunting and hiking boot. I haven't regretted it yet

Different brands fit differently. There are some very good brands that are simply not comfortable for my feet.

The amount of flex in the sole is very important too. For hard rock/mountaineering a stiff sole is good, but not so good for normal trail walking. Trail shoes are not stiff enough to hold an edge in hard rock. I have different boots that I use for different terrain. My super stiff sole mountaineering boots make life miserable for long hikes.

Thanks guys for all the responses and info..there only one store in my area that can order the boots I'm looking at but he's doesn't keep any in stock because of the $ and not a lot of demand in Florida
I'd go amazon, makes returns way easier.

I was looking to buy a rubber (xtratuf) style boot a while back and I ordered 5 pairs, multiple bands and sizes and then returned all the ones I didn't want. Was pretty easy all things considered.

Hunting styles dictate insulation, tree stand hunting is very different from hiking in the mountains. My stand boots are insulated and I still get cold feet, my elk hunting boots are not and my feet don't get cold... but I'm rarely sitting, definitely not for 5-8 hours.

Used to wear them for work. Loved them. Durability and quality has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so. mtmuley
Agreed. The most recent pair I’ve bought didn’t seem to last as long as the others but the comfort level was definitely still there

Hey guys. I'm been researching boots and looking back at what threads I can find trying to decide on what boots to get. Right now I'm debating between Lowa Tibet GTX and Kenetrek 400. Mix reviews on both, I'm not real sure about having insulated or not to any tips or suggestions.
On my second pair of Lowa Camino GTXs - like em a lot. When it comes to boots, I buy from REI because I can return them no questions asked within the first year, regardless of wear. Hiking is the only true way to test fit and comfort...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back