Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Boots for September elk hunting

Andrewlonghi

Hey guys. I'm been researching boots and looking back at what threads I can find trying to decide on what boots to get. Right now I'm debating between Lowa Tibet GTX and Kenetrek 400. Mix reviews on both, I'm not real sure about having insulated or not to any tips or suggestions.

From what I hear, hiking boots are like magical wands, to each their own.
I just got I think 3years out of a pair of crispi summit’s and I’m about to upgrade to a set of Colorado’s.
I bumped chairs in the non-insulated summits for 3 months this winter in the Rockies and as long as I had good socks on my feet were plenty warm.

My recommendation is try both on and let that drive your decision. Very different fit between the two.

I wear non insulated year round.
This and I'd go non-insulated. Both are a stiff boot so if you're not used to wearing them your feel will likely hurt in a short time. Wear them a lot.

Honestly there are thousands of boots out there and trying them on is the only way you'll know what works best. Most boots are hard to find at stores so be sure you buy from some place that lets you return.

I wore Danner's for the longest time and 2 years ago I splurged on a pair of Lowa's and do not regret that decision. I have the Lowa Renegade GTX and it fits my foot extremely well, is very light weight, and felt great right out of the box. Highly recommend trying Lowa if you never have before.

I have been wearing Merrils leather hiking boots for the past few years (same pair) until the snow flies and they work perfect. Light, waterproof and extremely comfortable.

Unfortunately it basically takes putting some hard miles on them before you really know if they work for you. Don't be afraid to try other insoles, learn what kind of feet you have, width, arch etc. Kenetrek stock insoles have a high arch, I have to use other insoles for Kenetrek to even be wearable for me.

Crispi.

I’ve also worn trail running sneakers on early hunts and enjoyed the light weight.

As said, non-insulated should be fine.

Lowa Tibet is very popular but they are stiff and heavy, plus to me feel "clunky" as they're mighty big. IF the Lowa fit your feet well, check out the Camino as it's a softer boot, lighter and feel much more nimble to me.

Can't stress enough importance of trying on boots for what feels best on your feet. This is one area you can't just internet shop. If nowhere locally to try on, for me it meant buying a few from a place that's ok with returns, so I can actually try them on at home. Even then won't know how they feel until you buy them and hit the hills.

For what to try, there are tons of threads that are helpful.

Thanks guys for all the responses and info..there only one store in my area that can order the boots I'm looking at but he's doesn't keep any in stock because of the $ and not a lot of demand in Florida

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back