PEAX Equipment

Bolt action .22 LR recommendation

View attachment 203296
I recently picked up this Christensen Ranger and mounted the scope today. I’m excited to try it out at the range.
Anxious (please post up!!) what you have to say about it. I’ve been torn between this and the Bergara .22 to add to the safe but I haven’t handled one of these after they reworked the bolt and extractor issues from a few years ago. They’re a great looking rifle!

Anxious (please post up!!) what you have to say about it. I’ve been torn between this and the Bergara .22 to add to the safe but I haven’t handled one of these after they reworked the bolt and extractor issues from a few years ago. They’re a great looking rifle!
I shot it for the first time yesterday. Put 25 rounds through it including sighting in. I didn’t have any extractor issues. The trigger is very nice the way it was set up from the factory. Only shot one type of factory ammo, but I shot sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards. I’ll bet I can do better with some tinkering. The bolt cycling is a little tight, but I’ve heard it gets smoother with more use.

This conversation reminds me of my favorite pistol. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 custom that is pretty bad ass, but my favorite pistol is the 22 equivalent. It is built on the same frame and I can burn through ammo plike a mad man. It was great for training my wife and son. I would buy a rifle set for training new shooters! A matching 22 and 6.5 or 08 may be an epic idea.

Late to the game…

The Bergara B14R gets my nod.

Magazine is the same shape and operation as the full size center fire.

If you shoot the B14 center fire, it’s a direct copy only in 22LR of the center fire.

It’s also equipped with an adjustable buttstock and it would have cost me more for the CZ or a savage to setup equivalent.

Eventually, all the glass will match brand and model across the stable. For now, the reticles are as similar as I can make them for mrad types

The Bergara - topped with a Burris RT15 3-15X50
47F98825-491D-4955-AA25-09DF3D608A38.jpeg

The Savage model 10 in a MDT XRS chassis. Topped with a Vortex diamondback tactical 6-24X50 now.
441FC612-82C5-4EE9-96F1-0C3637795447.jpeg

First 20 rounds fired when it was -9*F and a strong south wind at 30 yards

3006097C-5A83-45D8-BC10-6A7C50ADE0C9.jpeg

The range.

30 yards from the deck on the back of the house out to the break in the yard. This week I’ll shoot to the near (50 yds) and far (100 yds)edge of the field. Going south, I can stretch it to 165 yards.
5666EA5B-9108-48B3-95BB-B4813B8D13AD.jpeg
The Bergara is the day to day trainer and the savage is chambered in 223 as a medium range trainer. I just got the .260 Remington barrel that I’ll use for PRS and Minnesota whitetail. Even pricing for reloading, the cost savings on ammo will pay for the Bergara this year alone

I’ve got two long actions I’m building up to match these two. One will be .280 Remington and the other my get the .260 Remington barrel. Both are 1:8 twist.

The entire stable will look and operate with the same magazines etc as both of these. Down to the cheek riser and the magazines and eventually all have an arca-Swiss rail mount as least for the bipods

Back