Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bloodthirsty bears and wolves trying to rip through my tent to eat my face....

You might get attacked by killer cactus, in fact, I'd bring some construction knee pads which incorporate a moulded plastic shell to prevent penetration if you plan on doing any stalking and sneaking; can't hurt.

Jackrabbits are just like coyotes in that you don't need a license. Cottontails are small game and you need the license. Last year was suppose to be peak and I killed and ate a lot of them, I had my 10 rabbit limit within an hour on several outings. Numbers still look really good this year. Rabbit meat makes excellent bratwurst.

I take at least a 12 gauge with slugs and my 10mm when I go truck camping in the middle of no where but it's not because I'm worried about bears.....mobile meth lab or someone's pot farm on the other hand......

Last edited:
I wouldnt be, they normally dont want anything to do with you, dont wrap yourself in bacon before going to bed and youll be fine. We have the biggest black bears on the planet here in PA and I dont know one person that worries about them.

I know a few guys that have run black bears out of camp by cracking them on the head with a big stick or frying pan. Grizzlies, not so much. Pull that kind of stunt on a griz and you're likely to get a few teeth marks in you.

Being from western WA I tend to laugh at all the black bear talk coming from the rocky mt states. If there's one thing that western WA and OR have it's a lot of f-in' black bears. I've been backpacking in the Olympics during huckleberry season and have been able to watch 12 bears from my tent at dusk out gorging themselves on berries. Over the years I've had them come into camp multiple times a night every night for entire trips. I even had one stick his head in my tent and give me a sniff. Just keep all food hung up away from camp you'll be good.

I wouldn't worry about the bears, but a few years back the mountain lions were think in the eastern part of the state. The city of Newcastle even had one take up residence on the front porch of a house in town!

The only thing you need to take with you in "bear country" is someone slower than you. If you can outrun the others . . . . . . you'll be fine. :)

Well if you run across a shark in Kansas I will wash your truck after your hunt, well maybe my ex wife will.

I will be hunting the same area as you in October. I happened to be in Glacier a couple weeks ago on vacation and on the way home swung down through the area to scout it out. The only thing you will need to worry about is snakes like stated earlier and setting you tent up on a cactus. I know where we are the hardest part will be finding a semi-flat spot for a tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back