Bloodthirsty bears and wolves trying to rip through my tent to eat my face....

bigdonniebrasco

Well, that's what I am envisioning as I set out for my backpack hunt in NE WY.

Now I know that you guys that have done some REAL hunting in REAL bear country are laughing right about now, but being from KS, and never hunting any farther West than Wichita, it's in the back of my mind.

I will be hunting up near Buffalo / Gillette and I realize that grizzlies aren't really a concern East of the Big Horns, but I wanted to verify with you experts.

Since I am backpacking I have a LIGHT weight, tiny tent, a chipmunk could likely rip into it ad kill me in my sleep! :eek:

Any thoughts on that area either way?

Pack bear spray and a .50 cal?

Rest easy, nothing to worry about?

Thanks a lot.... 71 days and counting!!

BDB

In that locale.... "Rest easy, nothing to worry about."

Have fun and leave the self-defense items at home.

I'd be more concerned about the masses of slithering rattlesnakes looking for a warm place to cuddle at night. :)

Rattlers are the only thing I might show any concern whatsoever about at night in a tent that's not completely enclosed with a floor.

Now I know that you guys that have done some REAL hunting in REAL bear country are laughing right about now, but being from KS, and never hunting any farther West than Wichita, it's in the back of my mind.

I will be hunting up near Buffalo / Gillette and I realize that grizzlies aren't really a concern East of the Big Horns, but I wanted to verify with you experts.

Since I am backpacking I have a LIGHT weight, tiny tent, a chipmunk could likely rip into it ad kill me in my sleep! :eek:

Any thoughts on that area either way?

Pack bear spray and a .50 cal?

Rest easy, nothing to worry about?

Thanks a lot.... 71 days and counting!!

BDB

Keep a clean camp and you will be free from black bears.

Keep a dirty camp and black bears may come in and ruin more than just your tent.

NorthEAST Wyoming is not very likely to have grizzly bears. You'll be more concerned with rattle snakes, insect bites, sun burn, mud, and/or a flat tire.

Now, if you were talking NorthWEST Wyoming (adjacent Yellowstone Park area) . . . . that's a different scenerio.

the number one thing that is causing me to rethink an archery elk hunt! terrified of bears!

I wouldnt be, they normally dont want anything to do with you, dont wrap yourself in bacon before going to bed and youll be fine. We have the biggest black bears on the planet here in PA and I dont know one person that worries about them.

Last oct. I was camping in the area you will be hunting . I kept being woke up by animals bumping against the tent and making lots of noises in the dark. Rabbits !! hundreds of them . No kidding.

Since I am backpacking I have a LIGHT weight, tiny tent, a chipmunk could likely rip into it ad kill me in my sleep!

BDB

The chipmunks/rodents can be horrible in places, can chew thru tents/packs and always seem to find my wool stuff.

Last oct. I was camping in the area you will be hunting . I kept being woke up by animals bumping against the tent and making lots of noises in the dark. Rabbits !! hundreds of them . No kidding.

I was in the same area last October hunting/camping. I saw more rabbits in two days than I've seen in the rest of my life combined!! The entire earth seemed to move in waves of rabbits! It was unbelievable.

I can't imagine there are bears in that country, but I did find a lion track in the mud.

There are no bears anywhere near 16 where he's going. Last year I think the entire state of Wyoming was totally infested with rabbits. See my follow up post, as rabbits do have a season and are considered small game. Sorry for the mixup!

Last edited:
The rabbits were thick around Cody last year too. We didn't shoot any though, I was pretty sure you needed a small game license.

The rabbits were thick around Cody last year too. We didn't shoot any though, I was pretty sure you needed a small game license.

I misspoke and there is a long season on them and they are considered small game. I would have sworn they were just like coyotes and pdogs and nothing was needed to hunt them. Sorry about that!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back