Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Block Management Strategies?

Hammsolo

Going “home to hunt” this year in MT. I have public lands all scoped out, but just got the Block Management packet in the mail. Pondering, but feel like I may spread myself thin. What are your views on the program? Strategies? The two I found I like are “first come first serve” the night before, with no scouting allowed. I don’t like rolling the dice like that.

I think its a great program. Especially when you can use the block managment to access landlocked or really hard to get to public land. Also not surprisingly Ive found the BMA's that take reservations and limit the amount of people has bettter hunting. Lastly the ones that do take reservations, make sure you call asap when the reservations open.

Going “home to hunt” this year in MT. I have public lands all scoped out, but just got the Block Management packet in the mail. Pondering, but feel like I may spread myself thin. What are your views on the program? Strategies? The two I found I like are “first come first serve” the night before, with no scouting allowed. I don’t like rolling the dice like that.
What are you hunting for? The program is great, but not all spots are great for what you are hunting.

What are you hunting for? The program is great, but not all spots are great for what you are hunting.
Very true.

@Hammsolo very few of the places I've hunted allowed scouting, other than what you could see from the county road. Sometimes it's a crap shoot as to whether they are worth hunting or not. There was a sign in and go BMA not far from where I used to live. One portion of it was an absolute gimme for a mule deer buck if you were willing to walk to it. Others you can walk for hours and not see anything other than barren ground.

I have used them for bird hunting much more than for big game. Some of them are really worth your time and some are a waste of fuel driving to them to take a look see.

Generally thou it is a great program.

Mulies this year.
I use them quite a bit, Type 1 mostly. They are just extensions of public with more (usually better) restrictions. You have to do your homework either way. Some are better for birds or antelope, but almost all list deer. I don’t use type 2 as much because they fill up fast and it is often difficult to set my schedule months in advance and weather can change it quickly. Also, you may see it for the first time and change your mind- for better or worse. Some regions are mostly type 1 and some are almost all type 2. Just an observation. Not sure why.
good luck.

I’m looking at a couple of “first come first serve places,” where you check in the night before. I suck at taking risks like this. I try to control as much as I can... probably a personal problem.

Type 2 are typically better, type 1 usually get piss pounded and are often void of game. Like was mentioned before though, usually you can't scout them. My hunting time is valuable so I don't really like rolling the dice on a BMA when I don't know what's on there.

Last edited:
Type 2 are typically better, type 1 usually get piss pound and are often void of game. Like was mentioned before though, usually you can't scout them. My hunting time is valuable so I don't really like rolling on dice on a BMA when I don't know what's on there.

I drove from Washington to scout twice, and feel I have a few good spots ready to roll. Trust in the preparation right?

I don't know where in Montana you plan to go but you mentioned Mulies, I am in region 7 on the edge of 702 and 704 if that is anywhere near where you were going I could give you info on local Block managements PM me if necessary.

I don't bother with the reservation ones anymore. I have found the hunting is no better. I think most guys think the hunting must be better if it's limited. Usually it's not. Getting off your butt and walking is important. Look for the large units with no vehicles allowed. Those ranchers will typically open the gate for you if something is down. Heck, a couple of them have loaned us quads to pick up deer. Two years ago the rancher and his wife drove me out in their side-by-side to scoop a nice buck I'd dropped at the far side of the property. I dropped fifty bucks and a card in the mailbox for them before leaving town.

Seems these days everyone is losing sight of what really matters. Being out there and moving freely, seeing different country, no one with their hand out for cash, that's what makes Montana public hunting great. I forgot to mention landowners who enjoy seeing people enjoying themselves. Unfortunately the Eastern game hog bone collector mentality is invading. On the West Side it's already a done deal. So worry less about what you get while you're in Montana and you'll enjoy the things that matter most. Personally I enjoy rolling the dice. It means a lot more to find something unexpectedly than having it scouted and tied up. Never owned a trail cam ... and never will!

What @OntarioHunter said.

Yeah, you can't scout them out other than internet scouting, but you also have an unique challenge to know the country, what critters like for habitat, increased public pressure, etc. BMA's are awesome. I love hunting them but you have to earn your critters through shoe leather and field-craft.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back