Caribou Gear

BLM wilderness study area in Wyoming

Paisano

I know a nonresident can't hunt designated wilderness in Wyoming without a guide or resident guide. Do these same rules apply to a BLM wilderness study area? Thanks in advance!!!!!!! Long live HuntTalk!

I had the same question last year and researched it several different ways, including calling BLM directly. As 375H$H said, "No". You are good to go. The wilderness rule only applies in USFS lands.

I had the same question last year and researched it several different ways, including calling BLM directly. As 375H$H said, "No". You are good to go. The wilderness rule only applies in USFS lands.
Only USFS lands or only in designated wilderness lands? BLM does manage designated wilderness. I do not know whether WY has any BLM managed designated wilderness.

Only USFS wilderness lands. BLM wilderness is open to everyone. You can call any BLM office in Wyoming to confirm this. I did that last year, so I got it straight from the horse, so to speak. BLM wilderness is marked "Wilderness Study Area" on their maps

Yep, your good to go. Hunt all that you want in those areas, it’s a good way to get away from road hunters

Only USFS wilderness lands. BLM wilderness is open to everyone. You can call any BLM office in Wyoming to confirm this. I did that last year, so I got it straight from the horse, so to speak. BLM wilderness is marked "Wilderness Study Area" on their maps
My understanding is that it only applies to Congressionally designated Wilderness. It doesn't matter the land manager.

Last edited:
And BLM in WY has no congressionally designated wilderness?

Awesome discussion. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!! Really appreciate it. Now let's hope we draw a deer tag!

A WSA is not designated wilderness. That's the distinction. Designated.

I was hoping to get Buzz to say “yes you can hunt all the BLM” or “No, you can’t hunt all BLM because some of it is designated wilderness” rather than say “that’s correct” to a post that could be ambiguous to some people.

It's not that complicated.

Is it a DESIGNATED wilderness area? Then you can't hunt it by yourself.

Anywhere else you can.

A wilderness study area is not a designated wilderness area. It is being studied for potential to be designated as a wilderness area.

I was hoping to get Buzz to say “yes you can hunt all the BLM” or “No, you can’t hunt all BLM because some of it is designated wilderness” rather than say “that’s correct” to a post that could be ambiguous to some people.

It wasn’t ambiguous. It doesn’t matter WHO manages the land. It merely matters IF it’s a federally designated wilderness area.

No need to elaborate on this.

It wasn’t ambiguous. It doesn’t matter WHO manages the land. It merely matters IF it’s a federally designated wilderness area.

No need to elaborate on this.
I said “ambiguous to some people”. Obviously the OP was unsure of the difference between federally designated wilderness and a WSA. Neffa3 and Buzz did not clarify the difference in terms of the OP’s question. Buzz carries a lot of weight on WY issues, so I wanted to ask a question that might get a response from Buzz that directly answered the OP’s question in a foolproof unmistakable no matter who was reading.

I said “ambiguous to some people”. Obviously the OP was unsure of the difference between federally designated wilderness and a WSA. Neffa3 and Buzz did not clarify the difference in terms of the OP’s question. Buzz carries a lot of weight on WY issues, so I wanted to ask a question that might get a response from Buzz that directly answered the OP’s question in a foolproof unmistakable no matter who was reading.

Well, you responded with this

Irrespective of WHO owns the land, IF it’s a designated wilderness area a nonresident may NOT hunt it without a guide or resident guide.

A wilderness study area is not a designated wilderness.

Well, you responded with this

Irrespective of WHO owns the land, IF it’s a designated wilderness area a nonresident may NOT hunt it without a guide or resident guide.

A wilderness study area is not a designated wilderness.

Yes. That’s how I responded. If the OP says “BLM wilderness study area” and the response is that it doesn’t matter who owns the land. It leaves it open for someone to be confused if they’re not sure about the difference between a designated wilderness an a wilderness study area. If BLM controls both in WY, then they have to understand the difference between designated wilderness and a wilderness study area, however, if BLM has zero designated wilderness, then the OP can clearly go onto BLM land in WY without concern about that difference.

I wanted Buzz to be more clear about something that you don’t think could be any more clear.

Last edited:
Yes. That’s how I responded. If the OP says “BLM wilderness study area” and the response is that it doesn’t matter who owns the land. It leaves it open for someone to be confused if they’re not sure about the difference between a designated wilderness an a wilderness study area. If BLM controls both in WY, then they have to understand the difference between designated wilderness and a wilderness study area, however, if BLM has zero designated wilderness, then the OP can clearly go onto BLM land in WY without concern about that difference.

I wanted Buzz to be more clear about something that you don’t think could be any more clear.
Just for giggles my “No” response was pretty clear, and correct :)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any federally designated wilderness areas that are BLM in WY? I am not aware of any, but that doesn't mean much.

Nevermind, did a quick search and it doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any federally designated wilderness areas that are BLM in WY? I am not aware of any, but that doesn't mean much.

Nevermind, did a quick search and it doesn't look like it.
A quick search that I did came up with the same thing.

Back