Yeti GOBOX Collection

BLM, Forest Service and Nevada Ranchers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of ranchers lost their arse around here during the big storm in October. With the prices you are talking about losing 60,000 head had to hurt.

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle...storm-aid-slow-to-materialize--226955821.html

http://www.tsln.com/news/8441003-113/livestock-bill-losses-farm

Those are great links, kind of points out how ridiculous Bundy is to fight the Feds. The Congress passes laws to remove the risk of ranching, allowing taxpayers to bailout ranchers who have cows lost in the snow...
New reports Tuesday list cattle losses at 60,000 head and more bad news for the state’s producers stem from D.C.’s inability to pass a new farm bill. The Livestock Indemnity Program in place to limit the losses cattle producers incur from natural disasters expired with the 2008 farm bill on Oct.1, the first day of the government shutdown.
The paperwork detailing losses with the USDA’s Farm Service Agency won’t be filed until the USDA returns to work.
"Those (FSA) offices are furloughed and there are no employees there. They are unable to help us even though they desperately want to," Silvia Christen, executive director of the South Dakota Stockgrowers Association, told The Dickinson Press.

That decision to change the allowed AUMs was issued in 1993. Most all the science that supported that decision, whether we agree with the decision or not, came from the BLM and USFWS from 1990-1992. At that time, those agencies were lead by people who were appointed by George (H.W.) Bush, a guy I voted for.

When one looks at the facts and history, the idea of these decisions being agendas from within the agencies and those agencies being led by, and supposedly corrupted by, left wingers does not hold true. I know of no Republican Presidents who appointed a bunch of left wing environmental activists to leadership roles within the USFS, USFWS, BLM, or EPA during their administrations. To say that is the case, and that the information gathered during the Bush I adminstration and used for the decision that reduced these AUMs, is not supported by the facts or by history.

What does hold true is that left leaning environmental groups are able to use the existing laws and the courts interpretation to provide for change in a lot of these things.

People need to understand that it is not the agencies telling the courts what they are going to do. Rather, it is the courts telling the agencies what the agencies are required to do under the law.

It all gets back to the laws on the books. If those are the problem, then it is time, maybe well past the time, to make a case for getting them changed. Blaming agencies for these laws and the court decisions on these laws is the wrong place to focus.

I am no fan of the Center for Biological Diversity. They made me a big target when we aired our wolf episode. Yet, they are part of a movement that is very effective in getting the laws, such as the ESA, challenged in the courts. If this is a marathon, these groups have a 25 mile headstart on others when it comes to understanding how to use these laws as a piece of leverage.

If one wants to lessen the leverage these groups have, the change starts with the elected leaders, who can then change these laws, Changed laws requires the courts to interpret new laws differently. New court interpretations will then cause agencies to implement the new laws differently than the old laws.

If one cannot make a compelling case to elected leaders, or get elected those people who might be in favor of change, the possibility of change to national policies and Federal legislation is not very good. Blaming the wrong people for the outcome might feel good, but does nothing to improve the situation.

I agree. The radical environmental groups have alot of leverage and know how to use it. The people running these groups are making alot of money off all of this. A lot of people donate money to them and they also get EAJ money for their lawsuits against the federal government. I think its more about the money then what they claim to be fighting for.

I agree. The radical environmental groups have alot of leverage and know how to use it. The people running these groups are making alot of money off all of this. A lot of people donate money to them and they also get EAJ money for their lawsuits against the federal government. I think its more about the money then what they claim to be fighting for.

I am good friends with THE best environmental attorney in the West. He is not getting rich fighting to protect My Public Lands for my hunting pleasure. He is doing it because it is the right thing to do, protecting special places from ranchers like Bundy who seek to openly break the law and destroy My Public Lands.

I think its more about the money then what they claim to be fighting for
That comment more accurately describes Mr. Bundy.

I am good friends with THE best environmental attorney in the West. He is not getting rich fighting to protect My Public Lands for my hunting pleasure. He is doing it because it is the right thing to do, protecting special places from ranchers like Bundy who seek to openly break the law and destroy My Public Lands.

That comment more accurately describes Mr. Bundy.

Cattle grazing does not destroy the land. What is the lawyers name?

Cattle grazing does not destroy the land. What is the lawyers name?

You are technically correct. Irresponsible cattle grazing destroys the land. When done right, life is grand.

I dont see how Cliven Bundy is making money from his problems with the BLM. Well managed grazing is the best thing for the land. Cows have been a part of these places since before the west was settled and are alot of what brought people wast to begin with.

He doesnt want free grazing. When he stopped paying grazing fees it was in protest of the BLM cutting his allotment by 85%. It was not because he wanted free grazing out of it.

900cows x $1.35 x 7month x 20years I would take an extra 100k over the next 20 years if the militia doesn't mind?

At $1.35 an AUM he isn't saving much. And eventually his whole herd will be confiscated.

Well, if you figure in what he would have paid in private grazing leases and shipping costs, it looks a little different.

This is link is entertaining but too one sided. If Buzz, Big Fin, Jose, Miller and all the old timers are all on the same side of the issue then the only thing left is to create a new thread that pits them against each other and really start the learning process for all the newcomers! Since Greenhorn hasn't chimed in I am guessing it isn't worth hunting...but I could be wrong again!

In an open letter, Bundy’s neighbor, Kena Lytle Gloeckner, explained why ranchers are supporting Bundy. Her letter, which has been posted on numerous blogs,said:

There have been a lot of people criticizing Clive Bundy because he did not pay his grazing fees for 20 years. The public is also probably wondering why so many other cowboys are supporting Mr. Bundy even though they paid their fees and Clive did not. What you people probably do not realize is that on every rancher’s grazing permit it says the following: “You are authorized to make grazing use of the lands, under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management and covered by this grazing permit, upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this grazing permit and payment of grazing fees when due.” The “mandatory” terms and conditions go on to list the allotment, the number and kind of livestock to be grazed, when the permit begins and ends, the number of active or suspended AUMs (animal units per month), etc.

The terms and conditions also list specific requirements such as where salt or mineral supplements can be located, maximum allowable use of forage levels (40% of annual growth), etc., and include a lot more stringent policies that must be adhered to. Every rancher must sign this “contract” agreeing to abide by the TERMS AND CONDITIONS before he or she can make payment. In the early 90s, the BLM went on a frenzy and drastically cut almost every rancher’s permit because of this desert tortoise issue, even though all of us ranchers knew that cow and desert tortoise had co-existed for a hundred+ years. As an example, a family friend had his permit cut by 90%. For those of you who are non-ranchers, that would be equated to getting your paycheck cut 90%. In 1976 there were approximately 52 ranching permittees in this area of Nevada. Presently, there are 3.

Most of these people lost their livelihoods because of the actions of the BLM. Clive Bundy was one of these people who received extremely unfair and unreasonable TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Keep in mind that Mr. Bundy was required to sign this contract before he was allowed to pay. Had Clive signed on the dotted line, he would have, in essence, signed his very livelihood away. And so Mr. Bundy took a stand, not only for himself, but for all of us. He refused to be destroyed by a tyrannical federal entity and to have his American liberties and freedoms taken away.

Also keep in mind that all ranchers financially paid dearly for the forage rights those permits allow – – not rights to the land, but rights to use the forage that grows on that land. Many of these AUMS are water based, meaning that the rancher also has a vested right (state owned, not federal) to the waters that adjoin the lands and allow the livestock to drink. These water rights were also purchased at a great price. If a rancher cannot show beneficial use of the water (he must have the appropriate number of livestock that drinks and uses that water), then he loses that water right. Usually water rights and forage rights go hand in hand.

Contrary to what the BLM is telling you, they NEVER compensate a rancher for the AUMs they take away. Most times, they tell ranchers that their AUMS are “suspended,” but not removed. Unfortunately, my family has thousands of “suspended” AUMs that will probably never be returned. And so, even though these ranchers throughout the course of a hundred years invested thousands(and perhaps millions) of dollars and sacrificed along the way to obtain these rights through purchase from others, at a whim the government can take everything away with the stroke of a pen. This is the very thing that Clive Bundy single handedly took a stand against. Thank you, Clive, from a rancher who considers you a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back