BLM, Forest Service and Nevada Ranchers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im no Nevada expert but from what I have seen it looks pretty normal for that type of country, especially being near their main water source for that area.

I drove through the four corners area a couple of years ago. Not much to graze on.

Have you been to the area?

Do you know what is "normal" there?

I wonder if California has any pastures left due to the drought?

No, as I said in my previous comments I don't think there is enough information in the video to make a definitive judgement, but the place certainly looks like a place that can't handle a high density of cattle.

Besides, the guy has earned his ass-hat merit badge by saying he is not subject to federal authority and raising an armed mob to prevent it from happening. No need to heap on bad land manager on top of that.

Last edited:
No, as I said in my previous comments I don't think there is enough information in the video to make a definitive judgement, but the place certainly looks like a place that can't handle a high density of cattle.

Besides, the guy has earned his ass-hat merit badge by saying he is not subject to federal authority and raising an armed mob to prevent it from happening. No need to heap on bad land manager on top of that.

I'm not defending this guy. I am discussing Jose's statement about farmers and ranchers destroying the land.

I do find it interesting Jose logged off and will not tell me the lawyers name.

There are a lot people assuming things about this land who have never been there.

Last edited:
There must be a little since they have cattle there that are alive.

The feed in those areas has good nutrition in it. Not alot out there but the cows are usually in good shape. Short grass generally has alot more feed value then tall grass does.

There must be a little since they have cattle there that are alive.

The cattle seem to be browsing on the shrubs since there is no grass left. That isn't a good sign of a well managed allotment. Also, the cattle will survive but it is the presence of native plants and animals that is the indicator that they aren't damaging the place.

The cattle seem to be browsing on the shrubs since there is no grass left. That isn't a good sign of a well managed allotment. Also, the cattle will survive but it is the presence of native plants and animals that is the indicator that they aren't damaging the place.

Is there usually grass in that area? I don't know what they eat there.

I'm not defending this guy. I am discussing Jose's statement about farmers and ranchers destroying the land.

I do find it interesting Jose logged off and will not tell me the lawyers name.

There are a lot people assuming things about this land who have never been there.

Missed that - didn't pay much attention to that discussion. I agree with your last sentence, but we seem to agree that it can't handle a high density.

Missed that - didn't pay much attention to that discussion. I agree with your last sentence, but we seem to agree that it can't handle a high density.

Why could the land handle it for decades until 20 years ago?

Like I said, his cattle would die if the land couldn't support them, even if he isn't paying for it.

Im 4th generation in a farming and ranching family. I seem to have a very different view on this then alot of you.

I'm a 5th generation in a family that doesn't ignore court orders. I have a different view than you.

(Prior to that, we had a bit of trouble getting caught with other people's brands accidentally on our cattle)....... ;-)

Why could the land handle it for decades until 20 years ago?

Like I said, his cattle would die if the land couldn't support them, even if he isn't paying for it.

The thing is, we aren't managing JUST for cattle. The cattle will obviously survive, but they may be making it uninhabitable for all the other plants and animals. I say "may" because I don't know what is happening there, but to be honest without oversight ranchers manage for maximum profit which will put more cattle on the land than many of the native plants and animals can handle. There is no money is saving tortoises.

Something like 95% of all Bovine in the U.S. never set foot on public land.
These public ground Ranchers, need us a heck of alot more than we need them.

This.

Why subsidize Welfare Ranchers when there are plenty of private enterprise, free market cattle being produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back