Black Montana Wolf Down!

One of the first wolves my wife and I saw was pure black. It was up Wapiti Creek on the Gallatin River. We were bow hunting elk and resting at lunch when the wolf came out to stalk our hobbled mule. When he saw us, he slowly moved on. I can't wait to replay the encounter now that I have a license in my pocket. Thanks for sharing your story and pics. Beautiful animal.

That sucks. Who the hell leaves their beetles anywhere near hides?

They aren't the same beetles as the ones that eat the flesh for Euro Mounts. They are some different kind and apparently is far more common in predators than in prey.

Nonetheless, I'm still furious as it's my best trophy I have ever taken in my mind.

That's a bummer. We took it whole to the taxidermist so he could do the skinning. His coat was perfect and we'd never skinned an animal for a full mount. If your gonna spend 2K+ for a full body mount then I'll choose him skinning it out anyday. That's if you can get it out whole. It wasn't light but it was worth it. Hopefully I'll connect on one this winter and we can pack another one out whole :)

I took mine whole to the Taxi as well..............the incident happened at his shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back