Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bitterroot Wolf 10(j)

tjones

Feds give tentative OK to wolf hunt in Bitterroot Mountains

Montana has won tentative approval for a government-led wolf hunt in the Bitterroot Mountains, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials announced on Monday.

The federal agency released a draft environmental assessment of the state's request to shoot wolves in the West Fork of the Bitterroot that are preying on a diminished elk herd there.

If approved, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks agents would kill up to 18 of the estimated 30 wolves in the area.

On Nov. 24, Montana requested permission for a Rule 10-J wolf hunt. The federal Endangered Species Act allows 10-J hunts of threatened or endangered species when they are causing unacceptable harm to other wild animal populations. However, the hunt may not lower the state's wolf population below a total of 200 wolves and 20 breeding pairs.

Wolves are believed responsible for the West Fork's elk population decline from a management goal of between 1,600 and 2,400 animals to the current level of 764. FWP has also tried to help the West Fork elk with increases in hunting pressure on black bears and mountain lions, habitat improvement and reductions in elk hunting permits.

"We appreciate the state's efforts to submit a science-based, peer-reviewed proposal to the Service that addresses the impact of wolves on wild elk in the West Fork Unit," FWS field office supervisor Mark Wilson said in an email statement on Monday. "The purpose of our draft Environmental Assessment is to evaluate the potential effects of the state's proposed action on the natural and human environment."

The draft EA as well as Montana's plan and public comments can also be found at http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/wolf/

Written comments can be submitted online at http://www.regulations.gov or mailed to Public Comments Processing, Attn: FWS-R6-ES-2011-0022; Division of Policy and Directives Management; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222; Arlington, VA 22203.

The deadline for comments is April 12.

On the state level this is a good solid line drive single. We get past the public comment and maybe get some wolves removed by the time calves start hitting the ground.

Oh but don't you guys want to wait for all states to be on the same page before you get started? What a joke. Congrats to you guys over that way. Maybe something similar can happen over here.

The most important thing is get your comment in, where, when and how is at the end of the first post.

I am with ya, let me see what I can find, they sure make it easy to comment.:rolleyes:

Verry cool. More reasons to have the wolf lovers on the run.

SFW gonna comment against this one, also?

I just heard back from the USFWS. The comment period does not start until tomorrow, and we will be able to access then.

Good news for us, as we are not retarded! :D

It said Government led wolf hunt. Does that mean that only govt.officials are going to be doing the thinning? Not the public also, correct?

What SS said!

The way the application was written hunters will be used as "agents of the state" and be able to hunt them. FWP wanted to get hunters in the mix.

looks like me and ss were anwering Bart at the same time.

Last edited:
Good luck, but I wouldn't count on it happening too soon. I know Idaho was at the same stage a bit back with a 10(j) proposal in the Lolo and that hunt hasn't happened yet to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised though if ours was put on hold due to the current state of wolf politics over here.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back