Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bison point build up?

midwesterncrosshair

I watched Randy's Bison hunt and it sparked my interest for a future hunt.

Here are some questions if anyone can help out.

1. Any other states that have free range bison other than Utah, Montana, and Wyoming?

2. If I'm 27 is it worth starting to build up for bison points? If so what places should I cross off now because they will be impossible?

3. In Wyoming do you still need a guide in a wilderness area for bison?

I checked out WY draw odds and saw 15 tags issued out of 101 first choice NR applicants for the cow tags. Whats the difference between first choice 2nd choice and 3rd choice applicants?

South Dakota and Arizona also offer bison tags.

Wyoming has no preference points for bison and you wont draw your second choices if there is more applicants than tags in the first choice draw. Most, if not all, of the bison are shot outside designated wilderness.

Doubt you'll ever have enough points in Utah, Montana is bonus and not preference so a chance there. Lots of variables in Montana, mostly weather and other hunters.

I have no idea why, but no point system for bison in MT.

Alaska has tags as well.

You also have to consider cost of tags Wy especially is steep, and the fact the hunt presents interesting logistics, namely being flexible with your schedule as the hunts in WY and MT require weather to move in and push the buffalo out of the park.

If you put in for all the bison hunts every year I bet you will draw a tag before you turn 45.

Whoops, wrong thread - thought this was going to be about the spread for this weekend's championship game . . .

Alaska has tags as well.

You also have to consider cost of tags Wy especially is steep, and the fact the hunt presents interesting logistics, namely being flexible with your schedule as the hunts in WY and MT require weather to move in and push the buffalo out of the park.

If you put in for all the bison hunts every year I bet you will draw a tag before you turn 45.

I see that WY is $2500 for a cow tag, thats close to my cut off for a tag as of now, later in life it might be different. Montana is $1250. I cant find price of AZ on their page. I would guess the travel to Alaska is out of budget.

AZ bison tags are spendy, north of $5000 for a non-resident tag.

Albert also has free range bison.

Never researched bison in Alberta because I heard tags are outrages...? That right? I also called up a guy on a SD reservation that claimed to have free range bison... thought it would be fun to hunt one on the prairie until he said it was $12,000 and they will feed me and process the buffalo for me and all... But that not the experience im looking for, not to mention the money I want to spend.

Whoops, wrong thread - thought this was going to be about the spread for this weekend's championship game . . .

Not everybody worships NDSU.

Wyoming cow tags are probably your best bet for actually drawing a tag. Straight up random draw so you aren't years behind on points. Sounds like it can sometimes be tough to catch them off the Refuge though.

Or you can get lucky and draw quickly also. I drew WY cow last year on my 2nd year of applying and this year I drew an either sex tag in MT on my first year of applying. So apply and pray is a good motto

I see that WY is $2500 for a cow tag, thats close to my cut off for a tag as of now, later in life it might be different. Montana is $1250. I cant find price of AZ on their page. I would guess the travel to Alaska is out of budget.

You can do an AK hunt fairly cheap with some work but getting that much meat back would cost a fortune. If you ever draw MT hit me up, I would love to go on that hunt as a packer.

Yes i did apply cow in WY as I just wanted to hunt Bison. I got in on last year of cheaper tags there. The meat from that cow is absolutely phenomenal. I may shoot a cow in MT if given the chance. Kinda torn as want a bull but don't want to have tough steaks from an old bull when this cow has been awesome.

I believe the South Dakota Bison hunting opportunity is strictly in Custer State park. Check the Custer State Park Website. You would be culling their herd, so you may be guided by a park ranger.

I believe the South Dakota Bison hunting opportunity is strictly in Custer State park. Check the Custer State Park Website. You would be culling their herd, so you may be guided by a park ranger.
Not a "may be guided", but a will be guided. The tag prices have risen a bunch since I drew, so I doubt I'll be putting in anymore. It was a neat experience, though it's far from a hunt IMO.

Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

I have been building points in AZ, not sure when I will try to cash em in. Just like looking at all the points I guess.

If your interested in going bison hunting in Alberta Il drive and get your meat into the states for you. Hopefully we are hauling two back! I apply for all the lower 48 bison hunts and pay attention to the odds. I anticipate it taking 5 to 10 years for me to get a tag now that I have 3 or 4 points in each state that does points. I might hit the lottery tags prior a draw tag with as terrible of odds as AZ and UT are. This is the first year I started applying for Alaska. Got to give myself every opportunity to get a tag. So back to Alberta. I am just now starting to research that one.

Back