Bison anyone?

Nothing dumb about honoring your sponsors, they allow the rest of us to see your adventures.
It's good to know that when the right time comes, you are properly outfitted with the Sharps.
Don't forget to bring that liver out!

I have a custom made 1874 Sharps Buffalo Rifle - Quigley that a client had special made for me, fully engraved with my name and the finest walnut wood you could ever imagine. It is a .45-70 that I had always hoped to use in a bison hunt.

I can't imagine the amount of cash you saved a guy to get that. ;)

Shiloh or Pedersoli?

I can't imagine the amount of cash you saved a guy to get that. ;)

Shiloh or Pedersoli?

Shiloh. Absolutely amazing piece of craftsmanship.

Yeah, it was a very big tax mess courtesy of his out-of-state attorneys, in spite of me advising him not to do it. Then, when "the fertilizer hit the ventilator" I was asked to fix the problem. Couldn't fix it all, but most of it. The money saved could have bought about 400 of those rifles. My fee was about the cost of three of those rifles.

He is a super great guy. Needless to say, the NY attorneys don't get asked their tax opinions much any more.

The rifle is one of the most beautiful pieces of work I have ever seen. It has never been fired. Almost afraid to touch it.

Imagine my surprise when I show up for a visit and he tells me he wants to show me something. I am in awe of his new buffalo rifle, caressing it like a newborn child, telling him what a great piece it is, wondering how I would ever convince Mrs. Fin that I need one in the remote chance I draw a bison tag. Then he shows me the engraving on the barrel, my name is one it, then hands me a case to put it in.

Randy, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread again. I'm very happy to report that as of 2013 at least a few cow/calf hunters from the roster are being called to hunt.

I posted earlier about my buddy's frustration over being number five on the drawing list only to find that state hunters on the cow/calf roster haven't been called since 2007, despite several Indian tribes participating in the hunt and killing bison each year. Apparently this year the tribes have already killed 60 bison.
Perhaps some of Rick's phone calls has led to a new development in other hunters' opportunity or perhaps the FWP department decided on their own to change the status quo from the past several years because bison hunters #1- 5 received a call at the beginning of the week to come hunt their bison.
Tag holder #5 and tag holder #2 teamed up to put their bison in the freezer. If anyone else reading this has a low number on the roster, it might be worth the time to call and see if you are going to be included also.

Attachments

• CIMG0535.jpg
    CIMG0535.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Nice picture and well done to your friend getting it done. Certainly seems like there are a few challenges presented if you are on the waiting list for a cow/calf.

Good luck to everybody else holding out for that phone call!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back