Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bipod or shooting sticks? Do you use a rest?

Epfd217

I'm not a very stead off-hand shot yet and I'm trying to think of the best way to have a rest available for the shot if a good tree branch or something isn't available.

What do you use for a rest for your rifle when hunting?

polecat tripod. Very compact and lightweight. I also discovered that the 3rd leg screws out and can become a monopod with a threaded mount. I use it while glassing to connect to my vortex bino tripod adapter.

I use sticks for a few reasons. If I have my pack on and have time to set up prone, I can. If I'm glassing from a hill side and cant lay prone, I will sit down and use the sticks. They also extend tall enough to give me a decent standing shot. Overall I think the weight diffrence is to close to call. Plus they are half the cost of a good bipod.

Harris bipod. Instant accuracy boost and with creativity and practice you can shoot over almost any vegetation.

I use a 9-13" bipod. But let me preface that over 90% of my shots in the field are taken from the prone.

I tried a pair of Stoney point shooting sticks, bipod style sitting-standing height. I will not consider a bipod type shooting stick again. They sucked. I shot a Moose off them in the Fall of '09 at 132 yds and it took me 10 minutes to get stable enough to be comfortable taking that shot. I ended up wedging the sticks up against a tree and trapping the rifle between the sticks and the tree. Tripod shooting sticks intrigue me, and I want to try them, but when 90%+ of my shooting is from the prone... It's hard to argue with a bipod.

Never tried a bipod, and sticks are noisy, awkward, and almost never at hand when you really need them......but I never leave the truck without them. You need to practice and have a system if they are going to be useful in the field. They won't suit everyone. Mine are cheap, homemade, and lightweight: scrap wood and parachute cord. I used some oak 1/4-round for my first set.

The disadvantage is that they are a fixed length, mine are the right length for a kneeling shot. You can tweak the height to the situation a fair bit by how far you spread them. The advantage is that when you break/mislay them, just make another pair.

My "stick system" has absolutely allowed me to score on chances that I might not have been able to otherwise, but I love the kneeling position and I developed a way to carry/deploy them effectively in hunting situations.....your mileage may vary. I'd fool around with something homemade before I invested.

I use Primos trigger stick. Available almost anywhere. I like them for the adjustable length and they are quiet and quick. Mine will adjust from a kneeling to standing shot and anywhere in between. I also use them as a walking stick.

I prefer prone shooting, but have a the Primo's bipod & tripod w/ the trigger thing on it. They're steady, heavy to carry around all day and not good for shooting from a sitting position.

Seriously thinking of a bipod if I can ever get the 300 shooting well.

I never leave home without my trigger stick bipod! They double as a walking staff too. There have been reliable and positive.

I have a safari sling so the weight of a tripod plays little into the equation for comparison. Excluding weight, I prefer the bipod... hands down.
I tried sticks... though in the heat of the moment, my sticks seem to never part from the straps on my hip pack or side of my light backpack... unless I happen to be sitting in one spot. I move too much... Meh, learning.

I like sticks because they are a lot more adaptable to different situations. I even carry mine when hunting in the big woods of Maine. You never know when you may need a rest, but if you are like me you can't stand the extra weight when shooting in a standing position. I also use mine to prop my binoculars on when glassing. I wouldn't want to argue with someone shooting varmints that a bipod is better. As far as deploying, I can flick them and have them set up in less than 10 seconds. Anything that is far enough away to need sticks wont be able to hear them. I probably like them because I have a tendency to walk more than most.

I use a harris bipod or the primos trigger sticks bipod depending on where I am hunting. When I hunt whitetails in the northwest I don't use either unless I know i'm going to be sitting on a clear cut. Whenever I go to the range I almost always take my last shot or 2 offhand at 100 yards. Also, SAFELY dry firing offhand at home helps.

Sticks for me. Bipods get in the way. I find it interesting some can't get steady on sticks. My 12 year old set them up and smacked an antelope buck fairly easily. mtmuley

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back