PEAX Equipment

Bighorns

Utbowman

I think that I have decided that I would like my first "once in a lifetime" animal to be a sheep. Really would like to begin with either a Rocky mtn or desert ram first. I will start appling for desert here in Ut this year. What info can you guys give me about drawing sheep in other states, like point systems, units to look into, what to look for, what to expect, stuff like that.

Thanks in adavance for your help
Todd :confused:

UTbowman..... Fire me off an E-mail... IDAHO sux to draw... no point system... but ya don't need a guide and I'd go with ya just to be in the picture and help ya Pack one out .....

E-mail me @ [email protected]

All I can tell you is don't get in a hurry to draw!!! If you have the duckies...........you can by a Dall Sheep tag in Alaska over the counter, but the guide fee will stick you between $5000 and $10,000.........unless your brother lives there, and mine does.......so that is where I will be this September........ ;) DS

Utbowman,
In CO, non-residents are not eligible for the desert bighorn drawing. Rocky Mountain bighorn tags are $1,503.25 for non-residents. There is a preference point system, but you can only accrue 3 points, then it is a lottery among those with 3 points. We have a "weighted" system, which means for every year you apply after you have three points your name goes into the hat an extra time. So if you don't draw a tag your fourth year, you receive a "weight" and your name is in the drawing twice the next year and so on. Basically, you have to put in a minimum of four years to draw.

The Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffles one sheep permit each year. The tickets are $25 each and there are only 1,500 tickets sold. This permit is good for any unit that has an open season and any weapon. So, you can hunt during the archery season, and still hunt the rifle season if you don't fill. This year, the guy who won the tag actually drew a tag in the regular drawing as well!!! There was a big article in the paper here with pictures of both of his rams.

To contact the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society:
PO Box 8320
Denver, CO 80201-8320
(303)693-4567

Hope this helps.
Oak

Back