Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Big three tag.

Preacher shaner

I just put this same post up on the wrong spot. So for give for doing it twice.
I just turned 40 this year. I really want to hunt a moose or a Mt goat. Other than AK is there any state that I have a real chance at a tag before I am 60.

Idaho has good draw odds for some less desirable units for moose. Cow moose tags can be easily drawn as a nonresident in Colorado.

If you go several pages back on the big three section you will see a thread I started asking the same questions called “ How long does it take to draw a mountain goat tag? “ A lot of guys on here gave me some solid advice. The short version of what I learned is that if you can spend you whole life playing the points and application game in every mountain goat state and not get a tag. Alaska is about $650 for a tag right now and most are otc areas. The hunts in Alaska and BC will run you $8-12k but you’ll spend that much in 30 years on points and applications anyway so if it is a big deal to you to actually do a goat hunt best option is Alaska or Canada. I’m not an expert and have yet to goat hunt but this is what I learned in my research. Moose I haven’t researched a lot but I expect you will find similar odds but it may be a little higher to purchase a moose hunt. However Alaska does have he DIY option for moose that isn’t available to a non resident goat hunter. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
If you go several pages back on the big three section you will see a thread I started asking the same questions called “ How long does it take to draw a mountain goat tag? “ A lot of guys on here gave me some solid advice. The short version of what I learned is that if you can spend you whole life playing the points and application game in every mountain goat state and not get a tag. Alaska is about $650 for a tag right now and most are otc areas. The hunts in Alaska and BC will run you $8-12k but you’ll spend that much in 30 years on points and applications anyway so if it is a big deal to you to actually do a goat hunt best option is Alaska or Canada. I’m not an expert and have yet to goat hunt but this is what I learned in my research. Moose I haven’t researched a lot but I expect you will find similar odds but it may be a little higher to purchase a moose hunt. However Alaska does have he DIY option for moose that isn’t available to a non resident goat hunter. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Definitely go to AK. Unless you like messing around with points and being unsure when you'll actually be able to hunt. It seems like a better option to save money, then fly to AK and make the hunts happen. Another option is Canada, which is closer and not as far to travel. After a quick google checking some of the best rated outfitters, you could expect to pay 9-12k for a trophy moose hunt, and it looks like 8-10k for an Alaska Goat hunt. Either of which is a better option than trying to wait and wait and wait, and maybe never be drawn.

@Preacher shaner I looked into several outfitters. The one that impressed me most was Pacific Mountain Guides in Valdez AK area. They have run 100 percent success the past 4 years and 95 percent before then. They are $10,500 for a goat hunt. These are really high quality hair goats as well. I haven’t booked anything as of yet but I will probably go with them if do.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back