Best Wyoming General Area

Kiwi

Today I received my 2015 Elk Hunting Regulations. I read the booklet and also circled on the area map all the areas I could hunt with my general tag - a lot of choice!

It got me thinking, if you had a WY general tag and could only hunt one more year, which area would you choose for an OYO hunt?

Last edited:
I'd say your next step is deciding whether or not you are comfortable hunting with grizz. That will narrow down your choices even more. Cross out all of those that are wilderness, as well.

Good luck!

Today I received my 2015 Elk Hunting Regulations. I read the booklet and also circled on the area map all the areas I could hunt with my general tag - a lot of choice!

It got me thinking, if you had a WY general tag and could only hunt one more year, which area would you choose for an OYO hunt?

I know the units W of Laramie and just N of the CO border have a bunch of elk, but also alot of elk hunters. I would look that way.

Some of us that don't have green license plates like that law.

Yes the s.e. general areas have good numbers, but tons of pressure.

This comment ties into the thread about hunters sticking together. It would surely be nice for hunters to stick to together, but when an industry group (and apparently a few others) arbitrarily pushes to restrict access to our public lands, that aint going to happen. Thanks for helping to drive the wedge.

First of all some of the SE general units do have designated wilderness areas. I probably kill 60% of my general elk in designated wilderness, or within rock throwing distance of them.

I agree with others that the law sucks, but its not an argument about hunters "sticking together". Its about outfitters wanting to line their pockets, period. Wyoming residents didn't pass the law, it was the outfitters and guides association, place the blame where it belongs.

What this issue brings up though, is the ridiculous idea that all hunters must "stick together" on every issue. That's just ignorant talk and I don't care if it comes from David Allen or anyone else. There are many issues that impact hunters differently and because of that, there is going to be internal bickering. I don't have a problem with that bickering either.

As much as I dislike the Wilderness law, there is no doubt that many Residents feel differently. I fully understand why many like the guide requirement in designated wilderness, as it gives residents some relief from the orange army every year.

I think NR's need to realize that the law has been in place for a long time and making the ask of Residents to repeal it is a big ask. In particular when repealing the law will mean increased pressure and crowding in areas that Residents currently hunt. It would be about like punching an ATV road into their favorite hunting spots.

There really isn't much upside to a Resident wanting to repeal this law, unless you're like me and have a basic dislike for the outfitting industry stifling NR hunting as well as limiting NR access to public lands. Just be aware that my position on this law is very different than most R hunters.

Sorry for the hijack.

This comment ties into the thread about hunters sticking together. It would surely be nice for hunters to stick to together, but when an industry group (and apparently a few others) arbitrarily pushes to restrict access to our public lands, that aint going to happen. Thanks for helping to drive the wedge.

There's approximately 18.4 million acres of public land in Wyoming. A little over 3 million is considered wilderness areas.

For those of us that live in what some would consider a forsaken wasteland, and aren't fortunate enough to draw a limited draw tag, wilderness areas are about the only place to hunt that's not over run by non-residents. If you've never seen the difference between hunting season vs. pre or post season crowds on public land, it's extraordinary.

Yes outfitters profit from it, but they probably profit more from private land access/rights. Are you against that too?

I'm all for hunter's "sticking together", but reality says that can't happen concerning every topic.

To the op, any general area is going to have good elk numbers, and a ton of hunters. There will be much less in September. If you're going during rifle, be prepared to see more people than you could've imagined. I would suggest hunting the middle of the week if possible.

Thanks for all the comments - some interesting info!

My current plans are to hunt from early Sept for 3 weeks by bow in the north west. But I am also thinking about a plan b if needed and also doing some "road scouting" for future trips. I drive from SLC to Yellowstone and if go via Big Piney I will be driving through General units the whole time with limited wilderness areas.

Nowiser - At this point I'm happy to hunt with bears, but I reserve the right to change my mind once I actually see one!
Ishootdasmallones - The areas W of Laramie look great. Would love to get down there for a look.
JWP58 - I will be bow hunting Sept only so good to hear the numbers will be down. Will also now avoid the weekends.

Kiwi,

In 2013 I hunted for 11 days straight in a general area in Wyoming during archery season and did not see another soul the entire time. I was into elk almost every single day. It was a blast! If you hunt smart, you shouldn't need to worry too much about crowds. Two things I realized are 1. 90% of people feel the need to park at the END of a road where there is a trailhead. Lots of good hunting areas to access right off of a road. 2. 90% of the remaining people will not want to cross water to get to their hunting spot. I've found both of these to be true no matter where I hunt.

Good luck, you'll love it!

Kiwi,
In 2013 I hunted for 11 days straight in a general area in Wyoming during archery season and did not see another soul the entire time. I was into elk almost every single day. It was a blast! If you hunt smart, you shouldn't need to worry too much about crowds. Two things I realized are 1. 90% of people feel the need to park at the END of a road where there is a trailhead. Lots of good hunting areas to access right off of a road. 2. 90% of the remaining people will not want to cross water to get to their hunting spot. I've found both of these to be true no matter where I hunt.
Good luck, you'll love it!
Thanks NoWiser. Great to hear about the lack of numbers during archery season! Good tips about location too, thanks.

The fact that you are bow hunting is huge, as it cuts out about 75-80% of the competition (if not more).
Just pick a place and go have fun
Thanks JWP58, I can't wait to hunt WY. Its going to be a long couple of months until Sept!

There really isn't much upside to a Resident wanting to repeal this law, unless you're like me and have a basic dislike for the outfitting industry stifling NR hunting as well as limiting NR access to public lands. Just be aware that my position on this law is very different than most R hunters.

Sorry for the hijack.

Preventing nonresidents from hunting Wilderness Areas(which are Federal lands) is no different than preventing a private landowner from hunting on their own land. Don't be surprised if the landowner decides to sell his property.

+1 Sorry for the hijack.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back