Best Western State to Move to

You could leave the last part out. Our east coastie friend says he already has a wife. ;)
I didn't mean wrassle, I meant wrestle, as a legit alternative to the adventures of bear hunting, ha.

Reactions: Oak
“Best” is entirely subjective. Do you want trophies, do you want opportunities as in lots of animals, lots of time to hunt, different weapons opportunities? Way to many variables to even begin making recommendations.

If I were you, I’d make a priority list of what I was looking for and then go from there. Personally, I wouldn’t want to live in a state with a lot of limited entry UNLESS I could hunt a neighboring state OTC.

I'd pick Arizona or Wyoming. Elk tags would be easier to draw in Wyoming. Deer hunting opportunities for residents are great in both states. If you like to fish, Wyoming has way more opportunity. I probably like Arizona so much because it's different than what I'm used to and its hard to beat the weather.

Had a old boy say..... you know your getting close to Rock Springs when the women can drink more and their jaws are more square than yours..... the same guy also said that about every other small town I asked him about as well.....
I thought the saying was " Wyoming, where the men are men, the women are too, and the sheep are nervous."

I'll say it again...
Live where you want to LIVE
Work where you have to Work
So you can hunt where you want to hunt.

Spent 5 years in Idaho and never got a real chance to elk hunt because I couldn't spare the time to dedicate 5 days to chasing elk on Public land.
Got a career where I have PTO and enough spare time to do an out of state hunt annually.
It is a rare thing to do an elk hunt before or after work like a whitetail hunt. Same goes for any sheep hunt . You could do an antelope or a bear hunt in a weekend. Plains mule deer hunt maybe a weekend.

My point is you will have to travel for the epic hunts so live where you want to be 50 weeks out of the year. Since 2003 I've hunted 7/11 western states and every hunt worth remembering has been a day's drive from home, most were 2.

Had a old boy say..... you know your getting close to Rock Springs when the women can drink more and their jaws are more square than yours..... the same guy also said that about every other small town I asked him about as well.....

she better have a pretty face cause the rest of her is gonna be covered up with a hat and heavy jacket 8 months outta the year...That Quote made me think of one in particular....

Last edited:
Like all of these threads if you aren't happy where you are, you won't be happy anywhere.

Have you ever lived in Corpus Christi, TX? My happiness meter pegged out both times I saw the sparkling city in my rear view mirror.

If you are from California, Oregon, Washington or the East Coast, I heard the Utah flat-brimmed crew is eager for friends, and Colorado will also gladly take people...and you can smoke a joint while you hunt which is a huge bonus...

as a former Upstate NY'er, I have lived in WY, CO, KS, CA, and now NV....for hunting exclusively, go with WY...for an outdoor family CO, and a little of both, Reno NV

If I was Young ,I would be OK with Wyoming or Montana. But as You get older like Me (allmost 64 ) I hate the cold. I grew up in Erie ,PA and moved to AZ. when I was 21 and never regretted it . Love the heat over the cold any day. And the best over the counter Archery hunting in January. Ask Randy....................BOB!

If it was me Alaska would be choice one.

Lower 48 would be eastern Idaho close to Montana/Wyoming/Idaho boarder. Pretty much endless opportunities there.

Back