Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best towns to live/retire in Montana?

Bozeman, because then you can live next to all the hard-partying MSU college kids or the type of people that give you a nasty look for carrying a handgun while hiking

I grew up and graduated from Opheim! Go back every year for deer hunting. When I retired from the Aif Force in 2018 we moved to Helena. Its nice, was nicer. I want to go back to Opheim! Hahah

Hardly anywhere in the state can you advoid the wind, and if you can, the cost of living will be double of anywhere else. Southwest part of the state is beautiful and loded with great hunting and snow!

If I did it over we might had landed in Dillon.
Dillon sucks. I hate it here. Wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. I hunt every day and havent seen anything.

Ding dongs, all of them. I’ve moved around to nearly every part of this country. I love and loathe the thought of this goofy migration to the west.

Show up with no job, no family, no plan. Just got a bag of money and walking around with a target on your head.

Wake up one day with dust tornado in the front yard, dogs got 56 cactus spines you gotta pull out. They trucked in a teacher from New Jersey to make sure your kid can speak English.

Oh dang, now you’re priced out of your double wide rental because you’re on city water at $250/month.

You’re not all the way out because you can camp on BLM…..

I just moved onto the Flathead reservation, and I like it quite a bit. There are some oddball little issues around the whole non-tribal member thing (you think the state overcharges for NRs, you should see the fees these guys charge for NRs of the rez, sheesh), but overall it's actually pretty enjoyable. Plenty of things to do, plenty of amenities, and plenty of colorful characters. Not to mention it's very interesting in all manners of history/anthropology/ecology/politics, in general. Never a dull moment.

Joke answer has to go to Dodson. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I will stop to drink a beer in just about any lonely little bar in rural MT, but theirs I just drive by like it's a shifty looking hitchhiker. Does that place have electricity??

Drop a pin west of Livingston and you’ll check all the boxes. If it was me, I’d choose Bozeman first, place is paradise. Wouldn’t bother looking at the Eastern side of the state aka “West Dakota” to some

Last time I actually stopped in Miles City ( slight exaggeration) I ducked in to the local Subway. No line but waited a long time for service. The only seated customers were First Citizens occupying a booth.
Greasy kid came out to prepare my subway. I was already annoyed. He promptly sliced his hand wide open and started gushing blood. I announced rather loudly " I'm f-ing out of here". The table started rolling with laughter as I beat it out of there.
Typical for there...

Last time I actually stopped in Miles City ( slight exaggeration) I ducked in to the local Subway. No line but waited a long time for service. The only seated customers were First Citizens occupying a booth.
Greasy kid came out to prepare my subway. I was already annoyed. He promptly sliced his hand wide open and started gushing blood. I announced rather loudly " I'm f-ing out of here". The table started rolling with laughter as I beat it out of there.
Typical for there...
Man that’s bad luck! I have lived here for 20 plus years and love subway and have never experienced that!!! Sucks to suck!!!😂😂😂

Anyone have experience in how Eureka is doing? I'm in Wyoming and not planning on moving. Just curious, I never see the town get brought up in threads like these. Which for some reason I enjoy reading. Especially when I am snowed in and cant leave town.

FYI Wyoming is full 👀

I already know all about Bozeman. I've lived here 35 yrs. I love the area but hate what it's becoming. Super expensive, I'm tired of all the liberal leaning mentalities (I'm pretty moderate) . I can't ever spray a yard for dandelions without getting crusty looks from the neighbors. I'm paying almost 1k a month in property taxes. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking I'll find better but I'm about over the people here. It really is an awesome area and I suppose that's what the draw is for everyone else. I saw this article recently and it's quit accurate.

Last edited:
I already know all about Bozeman. I've lived here 35 yrs. I love the area but hate what it's becoming. Super expensive, I'm tired of all the liberal leaning mentalities. I can't ever spray a yard for dandelions without getting crusty looks from the neighbors. I'm paying almost 1k a month in property taxes. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking I'll find better but I'm about over the people here. It really is an awesome area and I suppose that's what the draw is for everyone else. I saw this article recently and it's quit accurate.
Buy some box fans for the yard and blow that stuff right into their yuppy eyeballs.

I already know all about Bozeman. I've lived here 35 yrs. I love the area but hate what it's becoming. Super expensive, I'm tired of all the liberal leaning mentalities. I can't ever spray a yard for dandelions without getting crusty looks from the neighbors. I'm paying almost 1k a month in property taxes. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking I'll find better but I'm about over the people here. It really is an awesome area and I suppose that's what the draw is for everyone else. I saw this article recently and it's quit accurate.
Please tell me that 1k monthly is an exaggeration. I'm over here absolutely throwing a fit over 5k annually on property taxes. Is Montana generally that high on property taxes everywhere or is due to the area?

Please tell me that 1k monthly is an exaggeration. I'm over here absolutely throwing a fit over 5k annually on property taxes. Is Montana generally that high on property taxes everywhere or is due to the area?
It's not. I think it's Bozeman that's the issue. I am in a new home 4k sq ft so that's my problem. I know 1st world problems but it's still a lot. I build live in them 2 yrs then sell them.

It's not. I think it's Bozeman that's the issue. I am in a new home 4k sq ft so that's my problem. I know 1st world problems but it's still a lot. I build live in them 2 yrs then sell them.
Would probably be 15k or better here. My 60 year old 2k sq ft house 1.5 acres 7k. $*)Q!#@$ dumb

Back