Votes: 23 10.9%
  • Lobster Roll (for wllm)

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • French Dip

Votes: 34 16.1%

• Total voters
i just can't fully agree.

sushi is a prime example.

people think you can only get good sushi on the coasts or hawaii.

but USDA rules dictate all commercial grade sushi must be frozen to a specified temp prior to serving for food safety reasons. therefore, if you eat sushi in hawaii it is just as fresh as it is in Denver. cause it was frozen either on the boat or after getting off the boat either way.

we eat ocean fish in denver there were caught yesterday, i'll call that fresh seafood.

every state has access to the same fresh ingredients these days with air travel, refigerated trucks, etc. you're likelihood goes down for good food in a lot of places. some places have more of a good food than others. but all it takes is a skilled chef, doesn't matter where that chef is working.

Saratoga, Wyoming has some damn good food BTW.

⬇️
Why/how do other countries consistently beat us in this department? I've never been to a town/region in another country that didn't have good food. I mean even little communities in central america had really good, simple, food.

@TOGIE I agree you can mostly get quality ingredients anywhere in the US, but the issue is execution and availability.

Execution... prime example Boston, been to a number of restaurants in the last 2.5 years, I DK what it is it's just blah... bland, often watered down versions of dishes. IE instead of slow cooking that brisket all day low and slow they took some pork, shredded it with a blender, smothered it in liquid smoke and put it in an oven for an hour. (Maybe not actually but you get the gist. That's been largely been my experience with food, people cut corners and it tastes like mircrowave dinners from safeway. That area could have a great X cuisine, but no one knows how to make it.

There are also a lot of food deserts in this country and places distribution networks skip over.

Further, I hope I'm not coming off as a snob, every place doesn't have to be super gourmet and have everything... but it's kinda shocking how many places I've been to in America basically have Wendy's, Tacobell, Burger King, and McD's as there only options. Once again big corporations killing small business... and let's be honest there isn't a large chain international that makes anything decent.

To your point though Dave's Sushi in Bozeman is on par with a lot of the Sushi places I've eaten at in CA.

show of hands, who had a sandwich for dinner last night?

golfed 9 holes with my bro after work, in my birkenstocks of course, with my 20 year old clubs that are too short for me (just a friendly reminder of how not seriously we take golf)

View attachment 232622

and we got some cheese steaks afterwards, these are "chipotle phillies" little extra spice, some delicious chipotle mayo. i kept looking at it, and now i'm thinking about how the bread is not cut all the way through, how it's stuffed with steak, how it's held off axis with the uncut side down and open side up. and then how it's eaten, you lean your head down and turn it sideways to get a bite.....

damn thing is a taco!

View attachment 232623
That is a good looking sandwitch!

⬇️

@TOGIE I agree you can mostly get quality ingredients anywhere in the US, but the issue is execution and availability.

Execution... prime example Boston, been to a number of restaurants in the last 2.5 years, I DK what it is it's just blah... bland, often watered down versions of dishes. IE instead of slow cooking that brisket all day low and slow they took some pork, shredded it with a blender, smothered it in liquid smoke and put it in an oven for an hour. (Maybe not actually but you get the gist. That's been largely been my experience with food, people cut corners and it tastes like mircrowave dinners from safeway. That area could have a great X cuisine, but no one knows how to make it.

There are also a lot of food deserts in this country and places distribution networks skip over.

Further, I hope I'm not coming off as a snob, every place doesn't have to be super gourmet and have everything... but it's kinda shocking how many places I've been to in America basically have Wendy's, Tacobell, Burger King, and McD's as there only options. Once again big corporations killing small business... and let's be honest there isn't a large chain international that makes anything decent.

To your point though Dave's Sushi in Bozeman is on par with a lot of the Sushi places I've eaten at in CA.
I think different locations around the world simply have different ways of making most things and different bread to make sandwitchs on. Over in Germany they had the best bread I've ever eaten. My wife used to pick at the crust and eat it on the way home from the store. Down side was it went stale pretty fast. brochens were another special thing. I suspect bockwurst is simply bockwurst until it's on a brochen and then it's just better! Brochen is a bread roll.

Go around America and in different places you'll find different foods that pretty much are repersentative of the area your in. You can get roasted peanuts lot's of places down south and same with catfish but you won't find either much of anywhere else around the country. And it there's better barbcue than Texas, I never found it! If you like rice pudding, go to New York City, nothing anywhere in the country to match it!

When I was a student and lived in Missoula, I would buy two Little Caesar's Hot n Readys ($5 a piece). I'd take em home, smother the top of one with sausage gravy and cheese, and invert the other on top of it. Wait 20 minutes for the cheese to solidify and they were melded.

I'm not saying pizza is a sandwich, but from pizza one can spawn a sandwich.
That sounds freaking awsome.

⬇️

i think we might also be saying two things.

i won't disagree that it is harder to find excellent food in wyoming, or rural colorado. it's a matter of statistics right? where the majority of people and money are, the chefs looking to make money will go. therefore the odds of there being great chefs goes up.

but you can get great food in rural colorado, if not damn good in rural colorado. some of the best mexican i've ever had was in the san luis valley in a town of maybe 8 (exaggerating) actual residents.

mainly though, i'm kinda trying to push against my biggest pet peeve in the world, for example: brochacho that grew up in LA and moved to Denver "do you guys even have anything that resembles mexican food out here? this crap is crap, you need to try what we have in LA"

or "i'm from texas, I know what real mexican food is, and this ain't it"

or "the only place to get real barbeque is in georgia or [insert some insufferable southern state here]"

i maintain that you can get a quality, if not excellent, or nearly the best, one of of anything anywhere. some places it just might be harder to find than others. good mexican food can be made in any state in the country, but some places have a much higher density of it, like new mexico, arizona, colo, cali, texas, etc.

i bet you can get a reuben sandwich somehwere in every state that nearly stacks up to or even beats the delis in New York. that is my main point.

Last edited:
i think we might also be saying two things.

i won't disagree that it is harder to find excellent food in wyoming, or rural colorado. it's a matter of statistics right? where the majority of people and money are, the chefs looking to make money will go. therefore the odds of there being great chefs goes up.

but you can get great food in rural colorado, if not damn good in rural colorado. some of the best mexican i've ever had was in the san luis valley in a town of maybe 8 (exaggerating) actual residents.

mainly though, i'm kinda trying to push against my biggest pet peeve in the world, for example: brochacho that grew up in LA and moved to Denver "do you guys even have anything that resembles mexican food out here? this crap is crap, you need to try what we have in LA"

or "i'm from texas, I know what real mexican food is, and this ain't it"

or "the only place to get real barbeque is in georgia or [insert some insufferable southern state here]"

i maintain that you can get a quality, if not excellent, or nearly the best, one of of anything anywhere. some places it just might be harder to find than others. good mexican food can be made in any state in the country, but some places have a much higher density of it. like the new mexico, arizona, colo, cali, texas, etc.

i bet you can get a reuben sandwich somehwere in every state that nearly stacks up to or even beats the delis in New York. that is my main point.
if you lump big enough areas together than I guess I agree. But I lean way more in line with the masshole on this one. The ability to create great food doesn't exist in most of America, even if they could get "the best" ingredients.

I think different locations around the world simply have different ways of making most things and different bread to make sandwitchs on. Over in Germany they had the best bread I've ever eaten. My wife used to pick at the crust and eat it on the way home from the store. Down side was it went stale pretty fast. brochens were another special thing. I suspect bockwurst is simply bockwurst until it's on a brochen and then it's just better! Brochen is a bread roll.

Go around America and in different places you'll find different foods that pretty much are repersentative of the area your in. You can get roasted peanuts lot's of places down south and same with catfish but you won't find either much of anywhere else around the country. And it there's better barbcue than Texas, I never found it! If you like rice pudding, go to New York City, nothing anywhere in the country to match it!
You need to take a trip to South Florida and experience the varieties of rice pudding you can get there. You'd be a happy man. Matter of fact, grab a Cuban sandwhich, Cuban coffee, and rice pudding all together. Fantastic.

Mmmmm. . . . someone start a "Best Coffee Ever" thread (for @TOGIE subcategories of 1. Hot (Sweet) 2. Hot (Unsweet) 3. Cold 4. Not really coffee but I like a milkshake from time to time.) and make sure Cuban coffee is on the list.

Sir I will take that bet. ND, SD, NE, OK, MI, TN, KY, AK,and NM. Doubtful on WY, ID, AR.
if you lump big enough areas together than I guess I agree. But I lean way more in line with the masshole on this one. The ability to create great food doesn't exist in most of America, even if they could get "the best" ingredients.

i think people are just too stuck in a bias of believing "only a certain region or place is able to create a good [fill in the blank]"

i don't buy it, cause it's wrong. it's the tribalism effect.

all it takes is one person with passion and know how and you have a better deli in jackson hole than any in new york. it's literally that simple. but people will say "well it's not a new york deli so it's not as good". but i say that's irrelevant, cause if it's good than it's good. doesn't matter where it is.

maybe that deli already exists somewhere in wyoming? couldn't tell ya, i haven't tried every reuben in wyoming, and until i do, i'm not gonna claim there aren't great, if not legendary, reubens in wyoming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back