Best rifle for under $2000

Blackbart

Hey guys newbie here I have never hunted with or shot a rifle much but I would like to start next season. I've been looking for a couple of months and like the Howa Randy carries as well as the Tikka T3.

If you could only buy one what would you buy for under $2K??

Thanks for the feedback

A Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker for $800 and spend the other $1,200 on something else.

Very hard question to answer. "Best" changes based on who you are and what you want that rifle for. To start, I would look at rifles in the $1500 and under category, and save AT LEAST $500 for a scope. Unless you already have a good scope. $500 gets you a quality scope, and that is about as little as I would budget for one plus $100 for rings/bases. Biggest question is what do you intend to hunt with it? What cartridge?

Best is super subjective. Howa, Winchester (current FN manufacture), Remington, Tikka, Savage (not Axis), Sako, Ruger (Hawkeye, I don't care for the American, just my opinion), CZ, Kimber, Browning, Weatherby and Montana Rifle Company all make solid rifles in that price range. You should go to a shop that has a variety, and shoulder every brand. Which one seems to fit the best? By that I mean, which one can you throw up to your shoulder and it just lines up with your eye. Easy, no thinking and the sights or barrel are pointing where you want. Then look at features. Do you like a light or weighty rifle? Detachable mag or not? Walnut, maple, or synthetic? There is no right answer here. All will work fine in all conditions. Stainless/synthetic is a little easier to care for. That said, walnut and blued steel has been pretty resilient for 150 years in all conditions.

My personal opinion is to look at the Sako 85. Sako rifles are just smooth and they shoot. I've always like them. That said, you may not like the stock on them. And that is a deal breaker.

Jeremy

Ain't no best. Me, I'd assemble and build one. It can be done for about 2K. mtmuley

What mtmuley said. Can have a pretty sweet rig for what you're willing to spend. Even cheaper if you have donor action.

Hey guys newbie here I have never hunted with or shot a rifle much but I would like to start next season. I've been looking for a couple of months and like the Howa Randy carries as well as the Tikka T3.

If you could only buy one what would you buy for under $2K??

Thanks for the feedback

I could never have JUST ONE, but if I had to choose sort of my dream rifle it would probably be a Sako 85. If it was the only rifle I could have it would more than likely have a synthetic stock and stainless barrel(or cerakote) for weather resistance.

My main hunting rifle for big game right now is a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm WSM.

Honestly Blackbart if you're new to hunting you don't need to spend a ton of money on a rifle. Any number of very good rifles can be had in the $500-$800 range, spend another $300-$500 on optics and you're good. A 30-06, 7MM mag, 7mm-08, 270, 300 mag are all good versatile calibers that will kill just about anything on this continent.

+ if you show up in the woods with a $2000 rifle before you really have much hunting experience some people might think you're kind of a yuppie.

Last edited:
Be careful Blackbart. You might get reccomendations of a 6.5 with a stubby barrel. Stay strong. mtmuley

For your stated budget, Sako 85 Finnlite....smooth action, great trigger, weather hardy.

Very hard question to answer. "Best" changes based on who you are and what you want that rifle for. To start, I would look at rifles in the $1500 and under category, and save AT LEAST $500 for a scope. Unless you already have a good scope. $500 gets you a quality scope, and that is about as little as I would budget for one plus $100 for rings/bases. Biggest question is what do you intend to hunt with it? What cartridge?

Best is super subjective. Howa, Winchester (current FN manufacture), Remington, Tikka, Savage (not Axis), Sako, Ruger (Hawkeye, I don't care for the American, just my opinion), CZ, Kimber, Browning, Weatherby and Montana Rifle Company all make solid rifles in that price range. You should go to a shop that has a variety, and shoulder every brand. Which one seems to fit the best? By that I mean, which one can you throw up to your shoulder and it just lines up with your eye. Easy, no thinking and the sights or barrel are pointing where you want. Then look at features. Do you like a light or weighty rifle? Detachable mag or not? Walnut, maple, or synthetic? There is no right answer here. All will work fine in all conditions. Stainless/synthetic is a little easier to care for. That said, walnut and blued steel has been pretty resilient for 150 years in all conditions.

My personal opinion is to look at the Sako 85. Sako rifles are just smooth and they shoot. I've always like them. That said, you may not like the stock on them. And that is a deal breaker.

Jeremy

I agree. Its all based on what rifle fits each person. A $500 rifle might fit you better than a $2000 rifle. Like he said go somewhere with a selection and try them out.

For your stated budget, Sako 85 Finnlite....smooth action, great trigger, weather hardy.
Or this........ Remington 700 AWR. Where I would go for a factory rifle right now. Course I 'm not scared of Remingtons. mtmuley

Limited experience shooting and/or hunting with a rifle and you want to spend $2,000?

You need to have a conversation with the guy in the mirror.

Or this........ Remington 700 AWR. Where I would go for a factory rifle right now. Course I 'm not scared of Remingtons. mtmuley

...or stretch the budget slightly to a 700 Alaskan Ti.

Appears to be discontinued.

Last edited:
What are you looking to hunt?

How much do you want to shoot?

Is $2k rifle, glass, ammo, and a range membership?

I'd start with something you can shoot the living heck out of.

Custom rifles can be a good option but for the money to be well spent you have to know what is lacking in factory rifles before you go there.

Last edited:
Limited experience shooting and/or hunting with a rifle and you want to spend $2,000?

You need to have a conversation with the guy in the mirror.
Does a cheap gun serve an inexperienced shooter better? mtmuley

Make America great again! Buy the most expensive gun you want and blast away.

A cheap date may serve an inexperienced shooter better IMO.

I would probably just go with a $1300-$1500 rifle/scope combo and the rest in ammo if I were just learning to shoot. I usually tell people that ask I would prefer a functioning, sound rifle and quality glass. Lots and lots of game is killed every year with affordable rifles, including Tikka's, Howa's, Savage's, and god knows how many other brands. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Back