Most valuable hunting item under $100

Portaroof.

I have 4 of them.

Why? I don't know, but I have 4 of them and I somehow still can't keep track of them. Everyone who deer hunts should have 2 of them.

Capture.JPG

I don't know about Uncle Henry but Scrade's "Old Timer" = crap. I stuck with the one Dad gave me out of nostalgia for way too long. It was the skinner design. A ball peen hammer would pull the hide off a deer quicker. But it was about the safest knife I've ever owned. Not sure if falling off a building onto the blade would wound me.
Uncle Henrys were the top of the line of Schrades. An uncle gave it to me in 1965 and I get it razor sharp. Do not know how many critters I have skinned , gutted, quartered, done gutless with it.
I will grind down and redress the tip.
I have a Shrade skinner and I can get it razor sharp.

Sounds like a personal , not sharpen able problem to me...LOL

Uncle Henrys were the top of the line of Schrades. An uncle gave it to me in 1965 and I get it razor sharp. Do not know how many critters I have skinned , gutted, quartered, done gutless with it.
I will grind down and redress the tip.
I have a Shrade skinner and I can get it razor sharp.

Sounds like a personal , not sharpen able problem to me...LOL
Schrade "Old Timer" skinner blades are thick as a Bible. And the metal is junk. My go to knife is this 1930's Ka-Bar 4" drop point. It's similar to my dad's that was stolen from the truck when I was elk hunting back in the early eighties. His had finger grooves in stacked leather handle so this one is older. I loved Dad's knife because of its useful size and even a ten year-old kid could put a fine blade on it easily. Over and over. No need to keep grinding away. I bought this one off ebay for about $50 probably twenty years ago now. Had no sheath but the shoemaker in Havre made me a nice one. He didn't want to charge much. I gave him $20. This is the best knife I own. Almost hate to use it. I'm afraid it may get broken or stolen. Classics like this are getting hard to find. New Ka-Bar are made in China crap.
16820991990944061596632941391742.jpg

If you can find carbon steel blade Mora, they are much easier to put a blade on. Gotta keep them clean though (rub with vegatable oil after washing). Blade on mine looks kinda ugly now but it is sharp. I also have one in stainless and it is sharp enough but I have to work at it.
Mine is stainless, not sure why you 'have to work at it' to get an edge, a few sweeps on my steel and its razor sharp again, I like the fact I can throw the sheath and knife in the dish washer and just use it again.
I can do several deer without it needing a re-sharpen.

Mine is stainless, not sure why you 'have to work at it' to get an edge, a few sweeps on my steel and its razor sharp again, I like the fact I can throw the sheath and knife in the dish washer and just use it again.
I can do several deer without it needing a re-sharpen.
Right. I was speaking relatively. The stainless Mora still takes a blade very well. If you can find one of their carbon steel knives (visually identical to stainless ones), you will notice a level up in sharpness per sharpening effort. Both are great knives, especially for the $$$ ... er ... money :).

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back