Best map suggestions for Wyoming antelope hunt

Rackmastr

Hey Guys,

I drew area 67 and am in the middle of doing as much research, etc that I can do.

Looking online, I'm thinking that the MyTopo map of Area 67 that shows BLM, etc is one of the better options for maps of the area. Have people used them very much? Thoughts? Are there better options?

Right now the website only has the 2013 editions. Does much change from year to year? I cant get ahold of MyTopo right now to ask about a 2014 edition but fgured I'd ask here as well.

Any other suggestions for maps of the area? I'll have my cell which will have Google Earth, etc and a standard topo/road map of the area.

Thanks!

I'm a cheapskate, but for me I haven't found paper maps that you can buy that really provide more than BLM surface management maps. Especially when you figure in value.

The biggest (and maybe the only) benefit to paper maps to me is that you can sit down with someone in the field and talk strategies.

I had a minor fiasco on an elk hunt in New Mexico one time where I was talking about a small lake back in about 4 miles to the Southwest and the guys I was talking to were talking about a small lake back in about 4 miles to the Northwest. We thought we were talking about the same lake and they were telling me there was lots of elk activity around it if I was willing to go in that far to go after them. An 8 mile roundtrip hike with lots of elevation gain to a frozen up lake with no elk activity in weeks made me regret not having a paper map to sit down and talk with them with.

Sometimes you can get a little better feel for the overall lay of the land with a paper map too than you can with a small GPS screen.

I still haven't bought maps for my mountain goat area yet, but I probably should just in case someone wants to tell me where they saw a monster mature billy that is all haired up and I can't pull out a map to have them show me where it was.

I've heard good things about www.mytopo.com and they seem reasonably priced. That way you can custom mark the area you plan on hunting and don't have to worry about there the imaginary lines on the map are for that particular area.

I'm a cheapskate, but for me I haven't found paper maps that you can buy that really provide more than BLM surface management maps. Especially when you figure in value.

I also think that's the way to go for paper maps of an area. Then contact the county you're going to hunt in if it has a lot of private land that may hinder access to the public land to get a map of all the roads that are maintained with tax dollars. Finally, have a GPS with landownership chip or download for that area to know right where you are and the land ownership while you're on the actual hunt. Fences are meaningless out there as far as being boundary markers as to where you can be or not be.

Biggest issue with the BLM maps vs the MyTopo is the fact that my zone is in the middle of 4 BLM areas. At $4 per BLM map I'd be at $16 already and have 4 maps to deal with. Not bad value to have 1 map of the zone at $34 all stitched together and not messing with 4 maps. One consideration at least.

I'll look into the private land map if thats a possibility as well. Has been the main staple of what I've used in Alberta for my private land hunts in the past.

If you are cheap like me try printing the free preview maps on huntin fool. They break them down by unit and species. You lose some of the detail of the roads but they still work pretty good considering the price is free. Here is an example for Wyoming unit 11 for antelope.

Attachments

• 1d.pdf
    407.1 KB · Views: 68
Agreed, considering that the OP is asking about maps for a pronghorn hunt. Not sure what finer scale topo maps will offer someone for a pronghorn hunt that these maps don't.

Agreed, considering that the OP is asking about maps for a pronghorn hunt. Not sure what finer scale topo maps will offer someone for a pronghorn hunt that these maps don't.

No doubt that was my original thought as well. Then I started thinking about a future trip (wife has 9 PP's and I have 3 for MD so there is a strong chance we will do another hunt in a couple/few years). The $99 investment for the entire province on SD card may be a decent investment for other areas, units, species in the future.

Uggh....some more thought!! Haha :)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back