PEAX Equipment

Best Game Meat??

I must have gotten lucky, but my big spring bear is so far, the best game I’ve ever eaten. My favorite-I could eat it multiple ways daily…. Then elk although I haven’t had as much as I’d like. The mulie I ate was delicious too, so hard to use others’ pallets to pre-judge your own, although it still easily comes AFTER whitetail. I’ve only had moose jerky but it was really good. Gator is super bomb. Whoever cooks the duck has to know what’s up… can very easily come out terrible. I’ve never gotten to try wild turkey, as I’ve only ever hunted them with my bow as a personal challenge.. I’ve never felt like I sucked so bad. They got a lot of feathers… 😅 been two years and three lucky birds… maybe this fall I’ll finally take the shotgun and taste the success…

Hi well...I’m thinking a tie for 1st..
#1Bear.......and Wild Turkey.. Talking about in 4-5 hour’s dressed/cleaned Roasted😊
#2Deer
#3Elk
#4Rabbit
Just my thoughts

If I had to rank them...

Oryx
elk
pronghorn
turkey
mule deer
Barbary Sheep

I really enjoy all of them and feel like it's a treat to enjoy a meal consisting of game meat.
I always wanted to try Axis and moose

Eland
Pronghorn
Moose
August caribou
Elk
Dall sheep.

In that order. I've only had 2 eland, bother were neat beef but without the fat. Very mild similar to moose. I like Pronghorn for the flavor.

I've eaten a lot of other species. I think 25 some odd big game animals. It all goes down ok. The one that gets way over hyped is Sitka blacktails. They range from ok or not fit for a dog.

Just sayin'....

Factors that influence wild game meat taste:

1-5. How the meat was cared for in the field.
6. The memory of the hunt. Savoring the meat and the memory of the hunt just go together.
Everything after that is mostly in your head.

QQ
This, but…. Always a but.

Pronghorn for the win by a large margin….
Matt

My top 4:
1) Sitka blacktail deer from Kodiak
2) Sept. Black bear shot in blueberry patch
3) Moose...never had a bad piece of moose.
4) Dall sheep (actually for me a tie with moose)

My bottom 4:
1) Mergansers
2) Winter spruce grouse
3) Snipe
4) Coots

There is big differences in time of the year for deer meat quality. If you have not had a alfalfa fed whitetail deer from early Sept then you have no idea how good this is. By far some of the best quality meat I have ever eaten from any biggame.

I would have to say me and my families favorite by far is antelope followed by elk then deer. a lot of people say antelope is nasty but it is all about how it is takin care of after it is harvested as many of you know.

Nilgai and sandhill crane top the list in my head. That said, I've had limited exposure to both so it might have just been very good samples.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back