Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best Game Meat??

So far elk trumps whitetail for me. Hoping to see how bear stacks up this year. Specifically focusing on hunting them in big huckleberry patches.

Elk was king after I first had it. Next came Axis. (It's sold as Venison in American restaurants, so they wouldn't sell if they couldn't keep people buying it.)

Then I was served some Moose.

Hands Down Winner!

Bear above Whitetail.

Turkey is turkey, whether store bought, or field tagged. Wild will be dryer if not basted more energetically.

Elk is really hard to beat
Antelope is an easy 2nd
RMBS is 3rd for me.

Crane is the best bird, but it's basically beef. I'd like to try all the grouse species.

Small game? Partial to rabbit.

Antelope and elk are at the top, but antelope edges out elk for the top spot. Usually keep the good cuts of deer and the rest is turned into jerky and snack stick. I would put whitetail above mule deer, but if I get a whitetail it's usually from a friend's farm and has been eating whatever crop was planted.

No! You all got it wrong.
#1- WT
#2-Elk
#3-Moose
#4-Other assorted quadrupeds that should be considered in survival situations.

Birds-
#1-Grouse
#2-Quail
#3-Pheasant
#4- See above, though I still try with waterfowl.

I’ve eaten sika, whitetail, and mule deer, pronghorn, rabbit, pheasant, ruffed grouse and quail. Turkey from four states along with squirrel. Moose, elk and red stag, caribou and black bear. Mallards,Canadian geese and probably others that I’ve forgotten to mention. Each has their own flavor but if not taken care of in the field can all taste the same, terrible but cooked to perfection and handled properly before, they all taste good. Only two rank close to bottom and that’s bear and goose for me. I have only killed two moose, the first was tougher than the board that I cooked that carp on but made excellent gravy and the next was as tender as veal and would melt in your mouth.

Snow geese taste like shit, to put it lightly.

We shoot a shit load of light geese... nearly all are turned into jerky or sticks. Or the tried and true crock pot recipe- goose breast, white wine, cream of mushroom soup, couple handfuls of veges. Cook all day, fish out the breasts and throw them away, eat the soup (j/k...kinda).

Have always wanted to try axis deer and Sandhills.

These guys & chukar...yum!
63D09C02-1C82-4FB9-A0E0-BAA0FA0644CF.jpeg

Last edited:
We shoot a shit load of light geese... nearly all are turned into jerky or sticks. Or the tried and true crock pot recipe- goose breast, white wine, cream of mushroom soup, couple handfuls of veges. Cook all day, fish out the breasts and throw them away, eat the soup (j/k...kinda).

Have always wanted to try axis deer and Sandhills.

These guys & chukar...yum!
View attachment 191261
Yup my favorite way to do dove is whole breast, on the grill baste with bbq sauce then sprinkle on some garlic salt.

We are starting to get a ton of the Eurasians here... no season no limit so I get to fuel my cravings more often (and with a bigger breast)!

Back