MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best Deer Season Ever!

maxx

My 11 year old was on the board with the muzzy earlier this year. I had to convince him to take it because he really wanted to kill a deer with a bow. Since I was tagged out I told him I would take him out this weekend. His basketball coached decided to add another tournament this weekend. They had a game at 8:00 this morning. I gave him the option to hunt or play ball. He said it was only a pool play so he wanted to hunt which is really surprising for me because he loves basketball, side note I don't think he is having as much fun this year cause of the coaches always nagging on kids and other things.

Yesterday I checked cameras and threw a small hang next to the ladder stand I killed my buck at. My son is a lefty shooter and this stand actually sets up decent for both righty's and lefty's. It was a cluster this morning because it was the first time trying this out of this stand. I forgot my extra prussiet not so had to run back to the truck. We were behind the ball getting set up. This is the only hunt I didn't video this year because it just didn't set up great.

At 7:30 I could hear a buck racking some trees behind us. I hit the horns but he came in behind us and got our wind. He was a small 10 with a lot of garbage should be nice in a year. He slowly walked away and I hit the horns again just for the hell of it and a little spiker came in. He never presented a shot. Ten to fifteen minutes later he said he could see a deer butt. The thing worked his way to us.

There was only one window that he could shoot through. He isn't comfortable enough to move his feet around to position for other shots. It was 29 degrees and he was bundled up so he was having a hard time pulling his bow back. We practiced having me give him a little help. The deer made his way to the opening but then turned towards us to feed. After a little bit he turned enough and I asked him if he was comfortable with that shot it was a little quarter to. He said he was. The deer was at 18 or so yards so I told him to put his 20 yard pin on the heart. He shot just a little high but he was right behind the shoulder with a perfect shot. The arrow buried up to the fletching which was a little surprising because he is only shooting 30-35lbs. He bleed great an only went 80 to 100 yards.

Here are the rest again.

First buck of the year, I killed him with a muzzle loader.

A few days later the boy killed this.

Then the next week I killed my best to date.

I head to WI next weekend for the rifle season and my 9 year old still has a tag left but he wont be able to hunt again until the first week of December!

Wow, where do u guys hunt? We are only allowed 1 buck. nice.

Iowa. We can get a buck tag with a firearm and one with a bow. Youth can get 3 buck tags. They can get a youth tag which covers all the seasons then they can get a firearm tag and a bow tag. My 11 year old could technically get a firearm tag for the late seasons but his 9 year old brother is on deck and will get most of the attention the rest of the year. The 11 year old is begging that I let him go out again with my buddy we hunt with. I am heading to WI to hunt the rifle season this weekend. There are big bucks in the area but I go to spend time with the family as much as worry about hunting.

Yes, as good of a season you will probably ever have. Congrats to all.

You may be right but I am a glass half full type of guy and I am young and my boys are young so I guess here's to hoping we are wrong!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back