Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best bear cartridge

Bambistew

The wife and I are headed out next week to rescue some antlers and shoot some antler eaters both brown and/or black. Can't decide what rifle to pack. Shots could be upclose to maybe 300 yards. I have the spectrum covered, can't decide on light or heavy. Shot my last brownie with the 308. Have plenty of powder and bullets for everything in between.

280(gasp)
7mag
300wsm
300wm
325wsm
338-06AI
35 B/w
375H&H

The wife is on point, and can handle any of the above. Leaning on the 375, light and handy, and kills chit dead out as far as a guy/gal wants shoot.

What would you pack? None are heavy and all are "Alaska" rated non-melting.

Also if you're worried we can only shoot 8 bears combined 2 bb and 6 blacks. How many game bags do we pack?

Last edited:
You better buy that 460 Roland on here for some extra insurance. That 375 is on the light side for even just a small black bear. Too bad you don’t have a 416 Rigby or a 500 Nitro. I heard from my Brother in Law’s friend that is the min you should carry. Apparently he has a cousin from Georgia that swears by it for bears. Good luck on your hunt.

I love the 375 so thats my first choice, 2nd on your list 338/06. As far a game bags i pack 2 large ones per bear for spring bears. Good luck on hunt!

you need to buy a 71/348 before the hunt :)

you have a nice line up to choose from, congratulations on that

of those listed, we have a 325 wsm that we absolutely love, so that would be my choice

Do yo find them pretty plentiful in the spring ? Hunting the mountains or rivers ?

Game bags, 8

Maybe the choice should be which one to leave home? 9 rifles, 8 tags? :)

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back